Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Would like some info on swaging 9mm brass to make .38/.357 bullets

Would like some info on swaging 9mm brass to make .38/.357 bullets

I'm looking for some info on using 9mm cases for .38/.357 bullets. I know this has probably been asked before....... Thanks
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

I recently did a few they barely expand at 357 magnum pistol speeds in water even with a core of compressed shot .
    Frankly I am happier with cast bullets that are coated and baked in many pistol rounds and a couple rifle rounds.

I do think If I want to make my own bullets for 357-44 B&D and .351 W.S.L. the 9 mm may be okay I would probably try to score the case to peel back easier.
    Another disadvantage is the bullets made in 9 mm cases are a bit longer for weight the brass is 60 grains and higher alone .
    I just had a thought I have some aluminum 9 mm cases around......
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I prefer using .32 acp and .380 acp brass for .357 bullets. They will expand just fine, as long as they're hollowpoint.

The added length of the bullets swaged from cartridge brass does produce higher pressure when loaded to the same OAL and using loading data for the weight of the bullet. I normally step back to data for the next heavier bullet and use that as my starting point. I make 140 gr. bullets from .380 brass, and I've found that 158 gr. jacketed bullet data is a good reference point for working up a load for them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I'm looking for some info on using 9mm cases for .38/.357 bullets. I know this has probably been asked before....... Thanks
    Aye, I make lots of 'em with RCE Walnut Hill press and 357 die set. First, draw down the 9mm brass (0.394") to 0.354" in the draw die. I don't trim the brass. Add lead wire sufficient to bring the package up to the desired weight. Seat the core. Point form. The excess brass folds over. Done..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357_158.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	255492

Boolit Master

Here's an old post. Still making them in a .223 die. http://WWW.castboolits.gunloads.com/...930-357-advice
    They do not expand well. A .357 diameter hole serves just fine for my purposes.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Thanks everybody. This is something that I've been wanting to do for awhile.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.