RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: How do you restore/refurbish Hollywood primer post..??

How do you restore/refurbish Hollywood primer post..??

How do you guys restore/refurbish your primer post/rod..?? I'm having a hard time getting the primer cup rod to separate from the main body stem. I understand the rod is a press fit and loctite is used. But, after I burn the loctite, I'm still having a hard time getting the primer cup rod to separate from the main body stem. I've tried heating the stem. Then, put it in the freezer to shrink the primer cup rod. Still no go either way. Thinking out loud here, I'm gonna need to build a jig to separate the two. I can build a jig but was hoping you guys had a better solution. I'm open to suggestions.

Boolit Master

Why do you need to separate it into their component parts?

You are talking about these, correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HollywoodDunbarPrimerArms.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	255554
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Why do you need to separate it into their component parts?

You are talking about these, correct?

Name:	HollywoodDunbarPrimerArms.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	255554
    I need to separate them so that I can rebuild them and bring them back to working order. The primer cup spring is shot and rusted and needs to be replaced on some of my primer post. The main bodies are rusted and needs attention. Not all, but most of the primer post that I own are original to the presses that I own. I'll attach a picture of some parts that are being soaked to remove rust. In that picture are two universal primer post. Both of them are heavily rusted and both primer cups are seized with rust. I will also post a picture of a primer post that I have rebuilt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Primerpost3.jpg   Primerpost12.jpg  

Boolit Master

Rather than disassemble them, how about just soaking them for a day or two in a solution of citric acid and water? All rust will magically disappear. I don't see anything in your pic that would not soak away.

This is what I do w/ all my rusted parts. Here is a before and after:

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	255586

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	255587
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Rather than disassemble them, how about just soaking them for a day or two in a solution of citric acid and water? All rust will magically disappear. I don't see anything in your pic that would not soak away.
    In my first picture, those items are being soaked in white vinegar to remove the rust. My problem is not how to clean or remove rust. My problem is how to remove the primer cup and rod from the main body of the post. Once I get the rod removed, then I can replace the old worn out spring with a new one. That is were I'm having trouble. But I do appreciate you helping me or trying to guide me on how to clean them. Never know, someone down the road might be reading this, and your info could help/aid them in cleaning or removing rust.

All of my original primer post are 40 to 50 years old and they still have there original primer cup spring and all of them are worn out. This is were I'm at in time. And it's time to refurbish the ones that are worn out and rusted.

This is what I do w/ all my rusted parts. Here is a before and after:

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	255586

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	255587
    Beautiful looking Hollywood Senior Turret press. You really did a superb job of cleaning that press up.

Can you take a replacement spring and push the rod in between the turns of the spring, then wind the spring around the rod?
    Leo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood_Goon View Post
    All of my original primer post are 40 to 50 years old and they still have there original primer cup spring and all of them are worn out. This is were I'm at in time. And it's time to refurbish the ones that are worn out and rusted.
    Wow, the original owner must have abused that primer arm. I have >fifteen of these and most of them are 70+ years old, and none of them are worn-out.

Banned
    I just tried to take one apart and it appears to be press fit. At least I cannot get it to tun with anything I can grip it with. Most everyone else used a threaded punch to the stem or arm, not Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Can you take a replacement spring and push the rod in between the turns of the spring, then wind the spring around the rod?
    Leo
    I tried but I couldn't get the spring on without messing up the coils on the ends of the spring.

Wow, the original owner must have abused that primer arm. I have >fifteen of these and most of them are 70+ years old, and none of them are worn-out.
    Take a look at my avatar. That turret has rust all over it. Even the base is in the same condition. This press was neglected severely and it had parts on it that wasn't even suppose to be on it. I bought it cause when I'm done with the restoration, it will be better than brand new. If it wasn't for me buying this press, it probably would have ended up going to a metal recycling scrap yard.

I'm glad your primer post are in great shape. The few that I have that are in poor shape, some day, they will be back to great shape like yours are. But, in the mean time, I'm going to continue working on them until there fully restored and can be used again.

Banned
    HG, thanks for sharing better information on your project. It helps to understand the size of your project.
    I would soak the primer rod in derusto then hit it with a fine wire wheel. If the spring is that bad cutting it off then set about how to get the stem out of the body. If it's press fit heating the body and pulling hard may remove the stem. If it's truly threaded then it may be necessary to make a new stem and thread it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFbHfB2AnVQ This guy is a master at restoring old and rusted tools. Check him out for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    HG, thanks for sharing better information on your project. It helps to understand the size of your project.
    I would soak the primer rod in derusto then hit it with a fine wire wheel. If the spring is that bad cutting it off then set about how to get the stem out of the body. If it's press fit heating the body and pulling hard may remove the stem. If it's truly threaded then it may be necessary to make a new stem and thread it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFbHfB2AnVQ This guy is a master at restoring old and rusted tools. Check him out for ideas.
    Thank you, I’ll do just that.