Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger Precision 308 rifle test tuesday at the range

Banned

Ruger Precision 308 rifle test tuesday at the range

The wife bought a new Ruger Precision 308 and I haven't taken her out yet to try it out. I slated Tuesday to try it out. This morning while still dark out I put a laser sighting shell in the chamber and sighted a brick in the wall in the back of the yard and zeroed in the scope. The guy that she bought it from had never fired it. He bought it fitted it with a nice by pod and an expensive scope.

What kind of accuracy can I expect as I don't have a load worked up for it.

Get a box of Federal Match 308 ammo for your first test. That stuff seems to shoot well in nearly any rifle. It will provide a good baseline.
    If it shoots up to it's reputation, it will shoot sub MOA out to 200 yards at least, possibly farther.
    The other factor is heat stringing. They have a reputation for putting the first three shots on top of each other. After that, things may open up due to the barrel heating up.
    Individual results vary some.

Banned
    Ok, made two consecutive 1/2" groups at 100yds with my standard AR10 load so I can't complain about that.

Now go out to longer range and see what it does. I would expect some excellent groups at distance as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Get a box of Federal Match 308 ammo for your first test. That stuff seems to shoot well in nearly any rifle. It will provide a good baseline.
    If it shoots up to it's reputation, it will shoot sub MOA out to 200 yards at least, possibly farther.
    The other factor is heat stringing. They have a reputation for putting the first three shots on top of each other. After that, things may open up due to the barrel heating up.
    Individual results vary some.
    What I noticed before I tried to get a decent group is exactly what you mentioned. I could do 3-4 and virtually make the first hole slightly larger then it would open up about 1 1/2 " and if I paused about a minute the group stayed tight. Recoil was extremely light as matter of fact I felt like the 300 blackout we took along actually had more recoil to it.