Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersPBcastcoRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cougar Sausage

Boolit Master

Cougar Sausage

ODF&W had a bear and cougar hunting seminar Thursday evening.
    Very interesting.
    They had samples of cougar sausage.
    It was very tasty....dale

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I can imagine so. People eat various kinds of cats in many parts of the world. If spiced up with some sausage ingredients, it might be good. I don't think I'd go for it, but I ain't too hungry just right now.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Having eaten Korean cat on a stick, I suppose the cougar might taste ok.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I watch & listen to The MeatEater Show it's a sustenance eat what hunt type of hunting show. They eat cougar, bobcat, coyote, beaver ect. They also have a wild game cookbook. This episode is a Mt. Lion hunt I cut to the last 5 min where he prepares, cooks& eats it. https://youtu.be/Mqv1arVKWR0?t=1044

Moderator Emeritus

Friend who traps eats bobcat all the time. I have tried it and it isn't bad. Not my first choice but if I was hungry? No problem scarfing that down! He has eaten skunk, coyote(tough and stringy), raccoon, possum, you name it he eats it! Beaver is very tasty and makes a great stew. I didn't care for muskrat but he eats a lot of them. When we prairie dog hunt we usually eat some of them that we didn't turn into p-dog mush with the shot. Makes an okay stew.

It takes all kinds of critters for Farmer Vincent's Fritters.

Boolit Buddy

Journals of pioneers and trappers stated they preferred Mountain Lion over venison. A deer hunting friend of mine said the same and after he ate it. He said once he got past the thought of Mtn lion, it was sweeter than venison.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Cat, dog, it all taste like chicken. Just be careful what you eat at the Chinese buffet!

Lol ... All seriousness aside I was told it supposed to taste pretty good. I just have a hard time wanting to eat a predator that does nothing but eat decaying carcasses. But I did shoot a crow last year, Crocked, and ate it. I had to say it didn’t taste bad but it turned my stomach while I was eating it just because of the thought. But realistically anything made into sausage with spices and seasoning and probably pork added is going to taste pretty good. They should’ve sacked up and fried up a lion steak for sampling! I heard mount lying in Bobcat meat supposed to taste pretty sweet as well. Every time I get a bobcat I always get a rug or amount made out of it and don’t skin it myself so I never get a chance to save the meat.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I trapped lynx in Alaska, it was the only fur bearer you could eat. Pretty good too and no it didn’t taste like chicken!

Boolit Master

Tripplebeards, Cougar DO NOT eat decaying carcasses.
    They only eat the fresh kills.
    Now bear, on the other hand...….

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Tripplebeards, Cougar DO NOT eat decaying carcasses.
    They only eat the fresh kills.
    Now bear, on the other hand...….
    Lobsters eat a lot dead decaying stuff, but sure turn it into something good. Bear can be pretty good too, if you get the right one at the right time of year.

If I was hungry enough I'd eat anything but alas I'm not to that point and hopefully never will be . I'm like tripple beards I draw my line at scavengers and predators excluding the mentioned lobster and other yummy sea creatures
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    They sure do! They killed their prey live, feed on some, and then cover what’s left up and come back to eat them later. I’ve seen it firsthand while lion hunting in Arizona. We ran dogs off off a fresh kill about 15 years ago that was buried and only a third was eaten. That’s how I got my first lion. You can Google it, it’s a well-known fact that they do this. But the other poster is right Bear can and will do the same thing. Just depends on how hungry they are.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-29-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Boolit Master

"So many cats, so few recipes." Alf.

Boolit Buddy
    Cougar Sausage.

I know there's a dirty joke in that, somewhere.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Master
    The butcher in Port Angeles, Wa. who does my deer for me insists that I bring him a mountain lion one of these days. His commercial specialty beside meat cutting for local farmers is specialty sausages. He says mountain lions make the best sausage of all he has ever made in forty years in the meat business. He knows we have lions around our neighborhood all the time and has seen my pictures of them wandering our property but he knows I have an agreement with the big kitties as long as they eat our local coyotes. He does tempt me.