MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading 7.62x54r cast bullet

I use 312-185 in my m39 and 12-13 gr unique for 100yd load. Good consistency and no need to tip up barrel for position. No signs of powder or pressure issues. I use PC on my 312 sized boolits with GC Ill try to grab a photo for you. Have to load them pretty far back as I have a essentially unissued m39 that had the tag still on it from the factory and no throat erosion. slugs at .3115 I use essentially the same load in my P14 as well with pretty good results. It has an original barrel and a ph5b on it so I am pretty confident in aiming consistency.

Boolit Master
    Best bullet via commercial sources if Lymans 314299 weighs about 210 grains all with gas check,lubed and ready to load. That one should work well in finnish rifles and just might in the in the russian ones pending the bore dimensions. Good powders are 2400,unique,5744 Slighty higher speeds you can use 4895 or H4895. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    So,
    What did your bore slug out to ?.
    My MN's run from .310 in the Finn's all the way up to .315 in my Russians.
    But have owned rifles as large as .317
    Same thing here, i dont understand how you can use the lee molds in 31 caliber rifles... I'm unable to get something larger than 0.3125''-0.313'' with lee molds(312-155 and 312-185). What is your trick?
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

you need to beagle the mold, use adhesive foil tape to make the mold wider (the tape holds it open a few thou more, i use it on a 311365 that drops 311 regular and will drop 315 beagled). you put it all along the side of the mold. ill attatch a couple of pics to show how its done

ETA , the pics wont upload, it keeps saying the upload of the file has failed
    Last edited by pacomdiver; 04-16-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacomdiver View Post
    you need to beagle the mold, use adhesive foil tape to make the mold wider (the tape holds it open a few thou more, i use it on a 311365 that drops 311 regular and will drop 315 beagled). you put it all along the side of the mold. ill attatch a couple of pics to show how its done

ETA , the pics wont upload, it keeps saying the upload of the file has failed
    I've already done that, wasn't enough. Will try again next casting session.
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200416_1635272.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	260461

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200416_1635012.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	260462

it kept going full retard, so i had to crop the pics to get them uploaded

whats you alloy? my 312 155 drops 313-3135 and my 312 185 drops 312-3125 with 15 BNH lead and the tape adds 4 to 5 thou

Boolit Buddy
    I use the 311365 with PC or HiTek in the x54 Vepr. Accuracy is crap with full power load of surplus 4451. I run close to “youth loads” with H4895 and things look nice (and it still cycles action).

Vepr bore slugged at 312 so sizing to 313. I am playing with PB gas checks now to see if things improve with HiTek. I was getting better accuracy with PC’ing than I am getting with HiTek. Also, HiTek is smoking a bit where PC didn’t. Meh, maybe I will just go back after this batch.

My 91/30 requires .316 diameter boolits. My Finn M39's I can use .312. They both like to use W748 and throw pretty good groups.

Boolit Master
    It took me a while to stop trying to use powders just because I,have them.
    As far as positional sensitive powder goes.
    Im going to say unless you/rifle/load are shooting under 2moa I dont think most would notice a difference with or with out a filler.
    For 100 yards in the 1903a3/a4/M1/M1a
    I use 150gn TL gas checked with 2400 or trailboss .
    Mosin/7.7 get the 314299 as dropped from the mold gas checked /lubed with 2500+ and if I want to push the velocity I use H4895.
    The thing I found for me is these lead bullets out of the faster twist barrels seem to like the lower velocity range for accuracy.
    I have taken a few Gold trinkets at 200 yards with 2400 with 1500-1650 fps loads.
    Its fun to play around with different bullets and loads and when it only takes 16-28ish grains of powder to do so its even better.
    I did a small batch of filler vs no filler test and the differences where not that great for me. Funny thing though is my reduced H4895 loads with filler had a much better average vel than the 2400 loads with filler out of the 1903a3. Down range I did not see enough change to bother with fill anymore.
    You do what works and stay in the safety zone.

Boolit Master
    I use IMR 4759 as previously mentioned. The reason is years back C.E. Harris published an article in the Gun Digest regarding cast bullets in military rifles. That article is a sticky here. And the trend is to use powders that are either stick powders,small granules or flake powders. Ball powders are made to operate at a certain pressure range. If loading jacketed bullets the powder charges are noticably higher and then there is the neck tension caused by the fit of the bullet in the case neck. Unfortunately for us cast bullet shooters shoot low powder charges of these ball powders at less than optimal charges and strange things happen. Abnormally high pressures,incomplete burning of the powder charges and od course lousy accuracy. In reading these posts I get the feeling that the older generation prefers the older powders because they are intimately familiar with them. while the younger shooters may or may not be familiar with ball powder or powders they either are using or contemplate using. Take the older Data powder, doesn't perform well until Pressures are up to about 35,000 psi so anything less is a waste of your time. The old data powder was origionally developed for the 7.62x39 cartridge. A lot of out loadings don't even each that peak not unless that pressure unless we are shooting heavy caliber bullets for that caliber. I gave some of yje old Data powder to a good buddy who reported that it was one of worst powders he ever tried. low velocities,dirty burning and generally not a good powder for 223x5.56 in an AR carbine. He yold me that it took two full days to clean his entire rifle to get all the crud out. OK I have my asbestos underware on for the flame attacks sure to follow. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12