RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingPBcastco
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading 7.62x54r cast bullet

Boolit Master

Loading 7.62x54r cast bullet

Here in what I have. 155 grain Lee cast bullets that I cast, Gas checked & coated with Hi-Tek. The powder I have on hand is
    3031 & 4064. I don,t plan to shoot over 100 yards. What load should I start with & witch powder would you use?

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    What do you want to do with said bullet, hunt or plinking? Is the Lee mold casting to bore size which is probably around .314"? Personally if I'm just wanting a plinking load I find that 10 grains of Unique makes a great cheap shooting load. Right now I'm messing around with the Lee TL .314 90 grain SWC bullet and 10 grains of Unique in my 54R.

I do shoot a 175 grain bullet out of a couple 30 calibers that I load at 10 grains of Unique for plinking or hotter for a more normal load but I don't use the powders you listed.

Boolit Master
    Fly
    The lite 155 has performed well out to 100 yards in my MN's
    I powder coat them too and GC them.
    But I don't use the two powders you mentioned in these rifles.
    But I bet if Larry Gibson would ring in on this , he can probably give you starting loads and filler requirements for the slower powders.
    I stick with 2400 , RL-7, 5744, and even Unique for my less than long range loads.
    But the MN ' s do like Longer Heavier Boolits.
    If you don't intend on buying any new molds , I bet there are persons here that can donate some other weights of Boolits or you can Horse trade for what you want to try.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't use either 3031 or 4064 with that light weight of cast bullet in the 7.62x54R but since that's what you have on hand I'd suggest using the 3031. Start at 26 gr and use a dacron filler. work up in 1 gr increments to 34 gr or until accuracy goes south. I don't PC but prefer to shoot lubed cast bullets. If you get fouling from the PC then you might lube them....TL them in LLA as per lee's instructions (a light coat) and that should alleviate the fouling.

FYI; I prefer to use 19 gr 2400 with a dacron filler in my own MNs with that weight of cast bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thank you guys. I need to get some 2400, I can see. I do have some Unique, but I was wanting around 1800 to 2000 fps. Can I get there with
    Unique with out accuracy going south? Lags next trip to AZ I need to meet you if that's possible.

Fly

Banned

19-21gr of 5744. don't try to seat them out to touch the rifling. Seat them to the crimp grove.

Boolit Master
    Fly.
    You are welcome to come by any time you come out to AZ.
    I am sending you some heavier Cast Boolits to try in your rifle.
    I just happen to have a Surplus , and am trying to consolidate my inventory.
    Funny thing,
    This morning my wife was saying that she wanted to go to Ok and visit the Pioneer Woman's (Rea Drumond ) Ranch.
    Maybe if it happens , we could swing by and meet you.

Boolit Grand Master

With 2400 under the Lee 155 bullet try 16 - 20 gr in 1 gr increments with dacron filler.

You're always welcome the far western edge of Arizona...….
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Larry I see you live by Lake Havaau very cool.. When I go out there it to see my son. Ever since he left home he has never lived close by. Went off to West Point, then
    after that to the middle east, then lived in NY city & now Phoenix. I had never been to Az till he moved out there years back, & I fell in love with your state.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I have never used a filler with 2400 in any of my loads.
    Is the filler just for a powder positioned ?
    Not requiring a Filler was the original reason I started using the 2400 in all my rifle calibers.
    I have switched to RL-7 on most of my rifle cast loads since I am running low on SR 4759 and can't find any more.

Here's what I use in my 91-30
    316299 sized .314
    13 red dot
    14 blue dot
    12.5 unique

Boolit Master
    The last load with Unique is one that I use with that same boolit , and did get good 100 yard Accuracy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I have never used a filler with 2400 in any of my loads.
    Is the filler just for a powder positioned ?
    Not requiring a Filler was the original reason I started using the 2400 in all my rifle calibers.
    I have switched to RL-7 on most of my rifle cast loads since I am running low on SR 4759 and can't find any more.
    With that light weight of cast bullet the filler is to increase efficient ignition and burn which in turn is beneficial as it totally negates powder position variations. If just shooting at a bench and single loading the filler may or may not be necessary if loading the cartridge into the rifle is consistent. A consistent method of loading the cartridge into the chamber can position the powder consistently enough. However, with that light weight of a bullet, even then the small volume of powder in the larger '06 capacity size 7.62x54R case may not ignite and burn efficiently which can result in noticeable vertical stringing.. The filler cures that.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thank you Larry.
    For the most part , I do load Single Rounds at the Range.
    That may be why I never had any issues.
    I will give the filler a go next time I load up a bunch

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    Slug your bore first to find out bullet diameter. Mosin bores are all sorts of sizes. I like 200gr bullets and 3031 in my m44

Boolit Master
    Yes I slugged my bore & sized my bullet to fit.

Fly

Boolit Master
    So,
    What did your bore slug out to ?.
    My MN's run from .310 in the Finn's all the way up to .315 in my Russians.
    But have owned rifles as large as .317

Banned

2400 is position sensitive. Dacron help to keep the SD down.

Boolit Master
    My Mosin was .311, I also have finn & a M39 carbine but have not checked the bore on them as yet. I,m playing with just the Mosin for now.
    I have some other military rifles but never casted lead for any of them. This is my first attempt. Lags between my black powder stuff there's
    not enough time in a day, as you know.

Fly

Boolit Master
    As I know too well.
    The Boolits I sent you can be resized to what ever you need , even your .30 calibers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast