WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Newbie Questions

Boolit Mold

Newbie Questions

Hello:

First time post, new to reloading. I have a few questions, tried the search function but did not see the same questions, so hoping someone can offer some advice.

I'm reloading for my H&R 732 32 Long revolver. I have Lee Carbide dies, HP-38, new Starline Brass and Hornady 32 cal .314 90 Grn HBWC (product number 10028).

My Lee Modern Reloading Book (2nd edition) lists data for a 90 Grain Lead Bullet and a 98 Grain Wad Cutter, but not a 90 Grain Wad Cutter. Which load data should I use?

The bullets have a cross hatch pattern along the surface, do I need to tumble lube the bullets? I have a tube of Alox, but wasn't sure if it is necessary or the correct lube

Since the bullets are hollow based, do I need a gas check on the bottom of the bullet?

The Lee seating die appears to be for a round nose projectile. Can this be used to properly seat a wadcutter?

Should the wadcutter be seated flush withthe top of the case?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

First welcome to Cast Boolits. You are starting right by asking questions. Someone here will always have an answer to help you out.

Use the load for the 90 gr bullet. But back off the minimum listed in your manual by 10% and work up. The weight is more important then the shape.

No the bullets probably have a factory lube of some sort since they are ready to load right from the box.

The hollow base is to expand the base into the rifling for a better gas seal. A gas check would prevent this and this bullet is not intended to be pushed at top speed that would require a gas check (GC) and there probably isn't a gas check shank on the bullet.

Fill it with hot glue to create a flat seater. You can dig it out later to reload other shape noses.

I don't shoot wadcutters so someone else will have to answer that for you. Sorry.!

Welcome aboard.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Mold
    Many thanks, Steve!

My cast bullet manual has data for that exact bullet. Starting load for hp-38 is 1.9gns. Max load is 2.2gns. Try 2.0, I have heard good things about this load. They list the c.o.l. as .920” which would indicate that it is seated flush. Only use enough crimp to remove the bell from the case. Too much crimp and you will not see the accuracy that this load is capable of. Good luck! Oh, and welcome to the forum! Those bullets have a powder dry lube. There should be a little white powder mixed with the bullets. This should be sufficient and no additional lube should be needed.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    im gonna disagree with minerat, a 90 gr loading that's meant to have a bunch of lead outside the case volume and a 90 gr wadcutter with the whole thing in the case are very different loadings. how much lead is below the case mouth is most important cause it reduces volume a lot in handguns, then weight next. so its safer to use the slightly heavier wadcutter data.

also any commercially sold projectiles should need nothing done to be ready to shoot unless its specified. a gas check on a hollow base would probably get blown inside the cavity and be not great.

I take my round nose seaters and sand the inside, fill it with jb weld, then sand it flat till the steel around the whole edge is hit so I know its flat.

wadcutters are usually flush with the top but the wadcutter data you use should have a length listed

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    im gonna disagree with minerat, a 90 gr loading that's meant to have a bunch of lead outside the case volume and a 90 gr wadcutter with the whole thing in the case are very different loadings. how much lead is below the case mouth is most important cause it reduces volume a lot in handguns, then weight next. so its safer to use the slightly heavier wadcutter data.

also any commercially sold projectiles should need nothing done to be ready to shoot unless its specified. a gas check on a hollow base would probably get blown inside the cavity and be not great.

I take my round nose seaters and sand the inside, fill it with jb weld, then sand it flat till the steel around the whole edge is hit so I know its flat.

wadcutters are usually flush with the top but the wadcutter data you use should have a length listed
    Case volume, COL and weight are the things to think about. Generally when you look at load data, heavier boolits tend to take less powder. This is because there is less volume... But it is assmuming that the COL is the same....
    WWG1WGA