Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal lead fishing sinker size?

Banned

Talking Legal lead fishing sinker size?

As the title refers too. Not lead bullets I know. But since it’s lead casting and there’s at least someone who knows if there is a illegal fishing sinker size that I can’t cast to use? Is there such a size restriction for lead sinkers that I can’t use? Don’t want to get a bug fat ticket for it. Anyone who knows feel free to chime in.

That's more of a question for your state Game Warden.

Our regulations are all spelled out in the book ya get when you buy a hunting or fishing license,
    but if ya give them a call, they'll usually answer your questions right off the top of their head.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Well I know there ar 12 to 16 oz Halabiut jigs so I’m going to say there is not it’s the limit of what your gear and yourself will handle 4 to 8 oz work good for salmon on the coast and also great for casting

Mn and ND have no size restrictions. Exception might be for snagging paddlefish.

Mpstly I cast 1/2 oz with a few smaller and larger.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd suggest the main relevance for the answer to your question is your location. I would either Google, or make a telephone call, to the authority (the Department of Environmental Conservation -- DEC -- is it, in my -- New York, state) governing such to find if any lead laws are in your area.
    In New York State, I believe one may use any lead sinkers of any size/weight. But, it is most illegal to sell any which are less than one-half ounce in weight. It is professed that the thirty percent reduction of loon population had been caused by their lead ingestion; similarly -- a lead ban in shotshells for bird hunting -- was enacted due to eagles dying from their eating left carcasses with lead shot in them.
    However -- I have many Do-It brand sinker, jig, and shot moulds -- and legally may cast and use whatever I wish throughout the state with no restrictions whatever. Again, those in 1/2 oz. or less may not be purveyed.
    Re your fear of a ticket -- my guess would be a shop selling <1/2 oz lead sinkers would be much more prone to be cited than a fisher at a river-bank or water craft.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

In New Hampshire and on the Great Lakes they use cannon ball size sinkers to get the lure/bait down deep enough. Lake trout are at the bottom in the summer. New York bounds lake Erie doesn't it?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    In New Hampshire and on the Great Lakes they use cannon ball size sinkers to get the lure/bait down deep enough. Lake trout are at the bottom in the summer. New York bounds lake Erie doesn't it?
    As a died-in-the-wool lake trout seeker, we do indeed use lead weights to get to the bottom -- e.g., I generally fish from shallow 48' down to about 80' down -- right on the bottom. A "release" is attached to the wire attached to the 6 to 8 pound weight, to which is clicked in the fishing line with lure. When a fish chomps the lure, the release is tripped, and the lucky angler gets to (hopefully) bring up the laker.
    The eastern most Great Lake is Lake Ontario, with its overflow running via the St. Lawrence River thru to Montreal, PQ, Canada -- and then to the Atlantic. The west end of Ontario connects vis Niagara Falls (and the Welland Canal for ship transit) into Lake Erie, just a few kilometers from Buffalo, NY. I've fished both for salmon and trout in Lake Ontario -- never (yet) in Lake Eerie.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Thinking that lead fishing gear of any type is prohibited on federal lands, thank Obummer. I know that the ponds on the military bases and wildlife refuges here in eastern VA prohibit all/any lead fishing gear.
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Grand Master

I too believe a lot of states have banned lead fishing weights and lures also. I saved my zink weights to make jig heads and sinkers the only lead sinkers I cast were split shots. I would contact your states DNR or the state your fishing in with the question, get the answer right from the source

Boolit Master

NH lead fishing weights or jig min is 1 ounce. Below that no lead at all.

Banned
    Thanks for all the feedbacks folks. I’ll give them a call to clarify things.

Boolit Grand Master

In the state of Louisiana there are no restrictions on the use or size of lead fishing sinkers ...yet

Where Y'at Darth Vang ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    In the state of Louisiana there are no restrictions on the use or size of lead fishing sinkers ...yet

Where Y'at Darth Vang ?
    I live in Oklahoma.

Boolit Master

Okie land is Free America. I highly doubt you have any restrictions on size.
    NRA Benefactor.

Call your game warden beside look at the laws of your state. Each state have there own laws on it and some have no laws for use of lead sinkers.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    http://congressionalsportsmen.org/po...ead-sinker-ban
    It's a State by State ban - not all States
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    No restrictions here yet except on certain bodies of water. At one time there anti-sportfishing groups wanted to ban sinkers less than 3 oz. but the ridicule got so intense that they backed down. Everyone wanted to know where the pteradactyls were that could eat a 2 oz cannonball sinker. No bad idea ever dies in a legislature.

Boolit Master

Not only call your game warden but get to know them. They’re regular people and enjoy contact with good guys. I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know several as a Hunter Ed instructor.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    As long as ya can reel it back in? Ya Dont want a littering ticket...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    As long as ya can reel it back in? Ya Dont want a littering ticket...
    Good one. �� ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast