WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hateful 8 venison stew!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Hateful 8 venison stew!

I tried my first go at canning the other day. I think my timer got screwed up because I believe I only boiled my venison for about two hours and 20 minutes and thought I did for 3 1/2 hours. I also don’t own a pressure cooker and after all the reading about botulism I figured I better burn my experiment up. I openEd the jars today that I kept in the fridge and the meat was firm but falling apart and flaky so I’m sure it was cooked good enough. I got out the crockpot and added one container of beef broth which was about 4 cups, Peeled six potatoes and cut them up into large chunks, I bought a bag of carrots and cut them in 1 inch chunks, Cut up three pieces of celery and tossed them in, also cut up one whole onion and tossed it in, added a 1/2 teasooon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of salt, maybe about a quarter teaspoon at the most of garlic salt because garlic tears me up but I wanted just a little bit in there, and a tablespoon of sugar. I left the meat out and heated up in the crockpot till my potato chunks were soft but firm and then I just added in my two cans of “canned” venison. I figured I will let it cook for a half an hour and turn it off and warm it up tomorrow and give it a fresh try since it’s getting late in the day and I just had supper an hour ago because I couldn’t wait. I did test the broth and it has a pretty good bite from that pepper! I wasn’t expecting it to be hot I can still feel it on my tongue from when I tried it 20 minutes ago. Should be good on cold days just like in the hateful eight! I remember going to that movie at the theater with my pops and we both were drooling watching the beef stew scene and I’ve been wanting to make some like that ever since.

Here’s the scene. Now I have to do is get some wooden spoons and bowls.

https://youtu.be/SnMLCd4cYGQ

Boolit Master

Nice and you can add a bit of rice to tone down the spice
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Whoops!, I thought i put this in cooking recipes I’m sure the mod will move it.

Black pepper gets stronger & stronger the longer ya cook it.

I've gotten to where I don't put it in until something is almost done, or just set the mill/shaker beside it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Yeah, so much for being full I just had two bowls. The pepper isn’t bad once I ate a few spoonfuls. Kinda reminded me when I first started drinking, the first couple swallows you might choke a little and then it was smooth sailing. I’ll probably use a lot less pepper or none next time around but it tastes really good!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Your on your way!

IMHO, Canned venison should fall apart about like tuna fish flakes apart, super tender.

SALT, my recipe for canned meat is to add a teaspoon of canning salt to the quart jar. reduce amount proportionally for smaller jars. I never have to add salt to a stew made with my canned meat because of wonderful salty meat from the jar.

I now make corned venison from recipies for home cured corned beef. I also can all of my corned venison, wonderful stuff.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

What, no barley???
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy
    We can everything all at once!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF720B55-4051-43C5-8F99-5503A6A18F09.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	255454

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you can meat without a pressure cooker, at least add a handful of salt to the water to raise the boiling temperature.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Whoops!, I thought i put this in cooking recipes I’m sure the mod will move it.
    Moved.

I wish you lived close by, I have a spare Pressure cooker/canner I could borrow you.
    If you do any garage sales, keep an eye out, they can be had for reasonable price, same with craigslist ...or FB marketplace.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I hit two thrift stores yesterday to look for pressure cookers and didn’t run into any. I know I didn’t water boil my meat long enough because it wasn’t tender like tunafish. It had more of a texture and a little bit something there to chew on. Kind a liked it that way to be honest with you it was like eaten some tender, chewy steak in my stew.

Moderator Emeritus

Not a pressure cooker, you need a pressure canner(that can also be used to cook). There is a difference! Pressure canners will have a pressure gauge for one, cookers don't have that. You need to maintain a set pressure generally to get the right temp to kill the bad stuff in your jar.

My 2 canners came from Goodwill. Neither has a gauge, they use a weight with 5, 10, and 15 # settings. They can be finicky to get sealed, I keep a new spare gasket on hand. They can be ordered online, or Ace Hardware has some. A friend's Mother canned her meat in the oven, no canner! No one died in the 50 years she did it, just saying? I wouldn't do it without a pressure canner. Enjoy your bounty! Hc18flyer

I messed up the rest of my stew. I heated it up in the crockpot again and had two big bowls. It started getting a little watery so I put in some flour. When I mixed it up my awesome stew turned into “ship” on a shingle... Or when I was a kid I called it barf on a bun. I must’ve put in too much flour in at once because it had Little white chunks all over after I got done stirring it forever and all the good chunks of meat separated into strings. I tried to save it and poured in a whole bottle of barbecue sauce to try and make bbq and it still tasted rotten with the flower in it. I’m sure some dumpster dogs are enjoying it now. Next time I’ll just make sure to make a really small batch at a time or invite an army over.

Tripplebeards,

Next time try this:
    Instead of reheating in your crockpot, put it in a pan or pot on the stove top. Mix some flour 1 part to 3 or 4parts water in a jar and shake till mixed. Strain and slowly add to your stew/soup or whatever, and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Does not take long to thicken when boiling, and you can adjust how thick you want by how much slur you add. It does need to boil, or you will have a funky flour taste.

Thanks, that’s why I got a flower taste because I just mixed it in.

Moderator Emeritus

corn starch slurry instead of flour... stir in while boiling, turn off heat, eat. Stays thick the next day for reheating.