RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Murphy's oil soap

Boolit Mold

Murphy's oil soap

For those that use this to clean your rifles. Does it leave a layer of oil in the barrel after cleaning? The Ballistol does but I'm not crazy over the smell.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have used Murphys oil soap, 1 part, 2 parts alcohol, 2 parts peroxide, mixed in a yellow milk jug or empty anti freeze jug, so sunlight don't kill the peroxide. I have used this for 25+ years, with great success, cleans ML residue better than anything I have ever used. This was called the 3 patch cleaner when a article about it appeared in Muzzleblasts, the monthly magazine put out by the NMLRA. It has to be dried out good when used, and I follow up with a sopping patch of Breakfree CLP ,and never have any afterrust. I have one rifle with over 10,000 rounds thru it and still bright and shiny.

Banned

if you load with real black powder, there truly is no need for soap, alcohol, peroxide, antifreeze, smokeless powder solvents, urine, and myriad other nasty commercial concoctions, chemicals, and "treatments". waste of time and money, and most have the propensity to do far more harm than good.

the Only time the nasties are needed is if the gun - barrel and lock - have been neglected, and that'll be the shooter's fault, not the gun's. treat yer trad muzzy right and she'll do you right every time. this means keeping the bp residue fouling at bay, most importantly after the shooting is done. this is usually when the gun is cased, with no thought to what's happening to the metal. not smart.

plain tap water, some water soluble oil (NAPA if ballistol stinks yer nose, or just use wd40) and yer good to go. plain tap water alone will do 90% or more of the tube and lock cleaning. before leaving the range or field is when some form of "moose milk" (tap water and water soluble oil, or wd40) is spritzed on the lock and on a soaked patch that's left down the tube. a good straight gun oil is the last step, very light wipe down the tube and on all metal surfaces.

immediate care after the last shot of the day is taken will mean final cleanup when yer back at the ranch will be a breeze. these are simple guns and none of the commercial junk folks are sold and using today was needed back then - nor today.

+1 to what rfd said!

Boolit Grand Master

Remember with peroxide you need to check and re oil after a couple days to just make sure. The peroxide can be hard on the bore if not well oiled, but it does get the fouling out.

Boolit Master
    Well gents, all I can say, is I have 21 different trad ML;s, all have gotten cleaned with the method I describe, dried out good, and oiled well with break free. I usually leave a patch soaked with breakfree stuck in the muzzle, and it keeps any moisture from getting in the bore. I have more $ in several barrels, than the average guy will have in a complete gun, and am very picky about taking care of them. when I run a clean white patch down the barrel, all I get out is a little yellow oil. But to each his own.

Boolit Master
    I've gotten real modern the past ten years or so I've added a small drop of dish soap to the very hot water I use to clean black powder fouling from my rifles and shotguns. The metal dries fast and then a light oiling and check it a day or so later. Never had any problems. Perhaps I've just been lucky all these years.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.