Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Leather Mallet made in USA who-hoo

Sounds like a good idea, im tired of picking wood chips out of my freshly cast boolits.

When the wooden wackers that ive been using get too bad, they get reduced to stirring the wax for fluxing, figure its just as good as the ever popular sawdust.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Good on ya.

I'm a little surprised some of these guys here don't make their own from deer & other hides.
    Ya wouldn't think there's all that much to them.
    I thought the same thing so I looked on youtube. Here is what I found:

Boolit Master
    Need a mini version of that.

My aluminum eight cavity bevel base molds sometimes need more than just a bit of gentile persuasion. I was using the side of a pair of pliers, but steel on steel was scarring the handle bolt. A brass hammer occasionally slipped and dinged the blocks (thankfully not the mold faces) and a plastic hammer bounced back. I tried a small dead blow hammer, but it wasn't heavy enough (I want the boolits to drop with one firm rap, not two or three), and anyway the plastic is getting chewed up. I have high hopes for the lead weighted Garland.
    Last edited by kevin c; 02-18-2020 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    My theory is that whatever the #1 can do,,,,, the #4 can do better.
    Unless you have to hold it in your hand full time. I love my #1 size for casting. When the mold is cold it sometimes seems a little light, but when you’re up and running it’s just perfect. I always chuckle when I see people on here who seem to be super stubbornly tied to using that old chair leg or fence post or whatever and just refuse to spend a single penny on something as expensive as a 30$ mallet, but I on the other hand lobe using quality tools and to me, these are better than a piece of fire wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B1892E4E-9587-4CC9-B16E-E157AB9F251D.jpeg  

I bought the size #2 about a year also. I used to use an ash "club"...but it doesn't take too long before it starts to splinter out. Best $20 I ever spent.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I've got a number 2 that I like a lot for inletting

Boolit Master
    I have had a leather mallet for the past 20 years and I bought it used from an estate no telling how long he had it they are tough and handy
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I have a mallet that I bought from Bill Ferguson many years ago. It has the same green label as the OP's picture. I would guess that it is a #2 based on the chart in Post #12.

These days I am more likely to use a small lead hammer.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    I was thinking about buying a new mallet after reading the thread and then I remembered that I had bought some heavy leather that I made a Possible bag out of last year, so I took some scrap leather and wrapped it around a piece of scrap 1" wood dowel and nailed it in place. Viola! a leather wrapped sprue mallet. Works nice.

Boolit Master
    I had one of those, until, the dog got hold of it and thought it was a chew toy !!!
    of all the things a dog has ever tore up, that one upsets me the most.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    Nope, they don't.

I'm not really smacking the handle bolts hard anyway but the leather mallet doesn't harm anything. I doubt a small deadblow hammer could do any damage either. It's all about what your hand gets used to...
    Don’t hit the handle bolts; only the hinge pin.

I have a well worn but still usable rawhide mallet and a new one in the hammer drawer just in case. I got a dead blow hammer on a Mike Venturino suggestion but don’t think it’s better than the rawhide hammer.

Another “mallet” I use is a hickory hammer handle. It’s a little chewed up but it’s also at least 15 years old. It works pretty well but hammer handles are getting pricey.
    Last edited by David2011; 04-01-2020 at 03:03 AM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Got the #2 for my single/double cavities and couldn't be happier. What a difference from the old smallish hickory hammer handle.

I look forward to wearing it out....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Don’t hit the handle bolts; only the hinge pin...
    Maybe I don't have the terminology down, or I'm hitting in the wrong place.

At the end of each arm of the handles is the connection to one of the mold halves, and the arms themselves have a crossed connection. I thought the first were the hinge pins and the second was the handle bolt? I've only ever seen pics and vids of casters tapping the bolt head where the arms cross; never where the arms hold the mold blocks.

Boolit Master
    Also remember if your not going to sell it you can legally tear the tags off. Where are the pictures of the homemade lead hammers?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12