RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Springfield/Stevens .410 shotgun

Banned

Springfield/Stevens .410 shotgun

Picked up a little shotgun this morning for essentially nothing. It's going to need new wood and the external metal finish is rough, but it locks up tight and all works as it should. I thought it might make a neat little "Rook Rifle" or if kept as a shotgun just good for carrying walking around my place.

It looks just like this one only in worse shape.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stevens .410.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	255406

This clearly pre-dates the model 220s and 94s. Not much in the way of markings. Does anyone know what the model number would be to help in the beginning of a search for a stock?

Boolit Master

94C is what my wife owns/uses for chicken coop interlopers.

so my guess is 94 series. if the stock is a short lop, then the C.

my wife's has a bolt on 'tac-lite' under barrel and she don't play!
    2.5" handloaded #4 birdshot on their butts.
    ;0
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Banned

The 94s (hammered) and 220/219 use the same stocks. This is earlier than the 94. I just took a .410/.30-30 forend off one of my 219s and it looks like it'll fit perfectly with some adjustment of the spring that holds it on.

The stock is enough different that I'm sure it won't work.

Boolit Master
    What are you planning on stubbing it to, .38 special?

Banned

Not even sure, .32 S&W Long would be the most likely.

Seems like it might be a model 108?

Rich, I looked in one of my books on Stevens single shot shotguns and they have made no less than 27 models of the modern guns plus in the 1870's and 1880's there was the tip up guns, I have one !
    A lot of the newer guns use the same stocks so keep watching as they made a lot of guns and I see parts all the time online and at gun shows.
    If you are wanting to convert it to 32 S&W consider a chamber adapter from Chaszel as he sells some now to fit 410's and is adding more models all the time. His are very good quality and shoot good and if you want to make the gun a rifle permanently I would remove the O rings and epoxy it in the gun so there is no movement.
    Nice find ! I am always ready for another 410 SS.

Jedman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Rich, I looked in one of my books on Stevens single shot shotguns and they have made no less than 27 models of the modern guns plus in the 1870's and 1880's there was the tip up guns, I have one !
    A lot of the newer guns use the same stocks so keep watching as they made a lot of guns and I see parts all the time online and at gun shows.
    If you are wanting to convert it to 32 S&W consider a chamber adapter from Chaszel as he sells some now to fit 410's and is adding more models all the time. His are very good quality and shoot good and if you want to make the gun a rifle permanently I would remove the O rings and epoxy it in the gun so there is no movement.
    Nice find ! I am always ready for another 410 SS.

Jedman
    Is he the guy who was selling the adapters on Ebay a while back? I was ready to get one of the 20 gauge to .357 adapters and then the seller disappeared from Ebay for some reason and stupid me didn't get the contact info before he did.

Banned

A quick search revealed that (I'm pretty sure) it is the same seller. Looks like he is offering them in longer lengths for most things as well. The .357/20 gauge one is available and that .38 special one for .410 looks good too. I like the .45-70 idea in a 12 gauge too. The problem would become how to put sights on it without ruining the shorgunt barrel as a shotgun barrel, which I'd like to keep as an option.

The .357/20 gauge is easy, I have a little Savage 24 in .22 over 20 gauge with good open sights. Think I'll be giving one of these a try soon.

Yes he was selling on eBay and now from this own website. Jedman

Do you have a link to his website ?

Boolit Master
    I've got one of the .410 adapters from the seller on Ebay in .22 LR, I can tell you one thing, any accuracy over 15 yards is more of a prayer than anything else as the bullets keyhole badly since they're a smooth bore adapter. I tried 40 grain solid CCI standard velocity rounds. Even 15 yards and under were spotty at best. He advertises you can hit a 6-inch plate at 30 feet with those adapters, well, that's all of 10 yards. I wish someone would offer a .410 adapter in .22 that was rifled. I also have a 12 gauge to .38 Special adapter, about the same for that one too, anything around 15 yards and more is a hope and a prayer.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Banned

https://chaszel.com/

I have a 20 gauge barrel with a rough outside finish and which has been cut off crudely at about 20" or so that fits a Savage 219. I think that barrel is going to get some sights installed and one of those 18" .357 barrels. If that doesn't work out, the little over under combo gun should work.

Boolit Master
    I have my dad’s looks just like the pic. Thinking about sending it to John Taylor and have him fit a barrel in 32S&W Long.