MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Need loads for 44 Special

Boolit Buddy

Need loads for 44 Special

Starting to work up some loads for the 44 Special to be used in my Ruger Bisley Flat Top. I will be loading a 200 Gr Laser Cast. Looking for around 900 fps using both Tite Group and Unique. I really need to get some new reloading manuals. Any info would be appreciated'

Art

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I recently had Larry Gibson pressure-test a load for me, for a full-charge load with Bullseye powder and Accurate 43-206H

Attachment 255400

Depending upon barrel length and cylinder gap 6 grains of Alliant Bullseye is very close to what you want, within reasonable safe pressures and is a very accurate and satisfactory load. Hopefully Larry can chime in with the specific test data. With TiteGroup I would start at 5 grains and work up to approach 6 grains for similar results.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Hodgdons online data shows 4,5gr,start to 5.4 gr, of Titegroup with a 200gr, cast bullet
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Grand Master

Skeeters load of 7.5 Unique gives me 905 fps and good accuracy out of my Lipsey.Attachment 255433
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    unique start at 7gr mine likes 7.9 with lee 214gr

Love those grips.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I recently had Larry Gibson pressure-test a load for me, for a full-charge load with Bullseye powder and Accurate 43-206H

Attachment 255400

Depending upon barrel length and cylinder gap 6 grains of Alliant Bullseye is very close to what you want, within reasonable safe pressures and is a very accurate and satisfactory load. Hopefully Larry can chime in with the specific test data. With TiteGroup I would start at 5 grains and work up to approach 6 grains for similar results.
    As outpost 75 says the 6 gr Bullseye load under the 43-206H or under the Lee 429-200-RF has proven to be an excellent load in the 44 SPL. The pressure (pressure measured via an Oehler M43 and Contender test barrel) will run right at 14,000 psi +/-. The velocity range will be close to what you want in your revolver and accuracy should prove excellent. TiteGroup is close to Bullseye in burn rate and the 5 - 6 range Outpost75 mentions is what I would try also.

While Unique will get the 200 gr bullet out of the barrel at the low velocity you want the pressure will be very low and it will not obturate the cases to seal the chambers. Resulting in not the best accuracy and a dirty burn. Just not enough bullet mass with the 200 gr bullets. As stubshaft mentions it is an excellent choice for use with 240 - 255 gr "Keith" type cast bullets.

Lastly; if the 200 gr hardcast commercial Laser Cast bullets give you leading simple TL them with a light coat of LLA, let dry thoroughly and then load them. I have shot thousands of Laser Cast bullets in various cartridges including their 200 gr 44 bullets with negligible or no leading when the bullets have been lubed with LLA.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As outpost 75 says the 6 gr Bullseye load under the 43-206H or under the Lee 429-200-RF has proven to be an excellent load in the 44 SPL. The pressure (pressure measured via an Oehler M43 and Contender test barrel) will run right at 14,000 psi +/-. The velocity range will be close to what you want in your revolver and accuracy should prove excellent. TiteGroup is close to Bullseye in burn rate and the 5 - 6 range Outpost75 mentions is what I would try also.

While Unique will get the 200 gr bullet out of the barrel at the low velocity you want the pressure will be very low and it will not obturate the cases to seal the chambers. Resulting in not the best accuracy and a dirty burn. Just not enough bullet mass with the 200 gr bullets. As stubshaft mentions it is an excellent choice for use with 240 - 255 gr "Keith" type cast bullets.

Lastly; if the 200 gr hardcast commercial Laser Cast bullets give you leading simple TL them with a light coat of LLA, let dry thoroughly and then load them. I have shot thousands of Laser Cast bullets in various cartridges including their 200 gr 44 bullets with negligible or no leading when the bullets have been lubed with LLA.
    Going to show my ignorance Larry. What is LLA? Also, thank you for the info.

Art

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Going to show my ignorance Larry. What is LLA? Also, thank you for the info.

Art
    I'm not Larry, but Lee Liquid Alox.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1pn the Lee Liquid alox advice. I was having grief with leading from store bought hard-cast boolits leading, but a light coating of LLA or 45/45/10 liquid made leading history for me. I would use Red Dot or promo, with the same 5.0-6.0 grain range as suggested for the Bullseye, and Titegroup loads above. Be prepared for excellent accuracy if you choose any of them.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I do the same exact thing with Laser Cast bullets and LLA. Works beautifully.

Boolit Master
    I've used 6 gr. Bullseye with the 200 grain SAECO flat nose. Good load and reasonably accurate, but I've found 7.5 grs. Herco to be slightly more accurate though muzzle velocity is a little less.