Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 96 mauser action wrench

Boolit Master

96 mauser action wrench

i'm going to replace the bbl. on a swedish CG-63 (a target rifle based on a m-96 action) bought a lothar walther bbl. that is contoured, threaded and "deep chambered". i have a bbl. vise; but, no wrench. any suggestions how i might make something up? i really don't want to buy something. this will most likely the last bbl. work that i will ever do.

Well, if you don't want to buy a wrench that is proper for the job the best alternative is to borrow or rent one.

I don't want this answer to be stupid or too elementary, and although you say you have a barrel vise, that could be any one of several things. Is this a vise that holds the barrel immovably? In that case you will be turning the receiver off of the barrel, and there isn't much solution other than to have a receiver wrench. If you have a way to hold the receiver immovably then you will be turning the barrel off of the receiver. If you can hold the receiver immovably so that it won't be damaged in any way, many (shudder, shudder ----not by me!) barrels have been removed from receivers using a large pipe wrench and a cheater bar if necessary. This usually ruins the removed barrel for future use on another project, unless you have a lathe to turn off the ugly scars left by the wrench's jaws.

Far better to obtain a receiver wrench if turning the receiver off of the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I am probably wrong but are those threads left hand ?

Boolit Master
    Its well known that the Swede recievers are very easy to deform (squash),so be careful,and always use a tight fitting arbor in the ring before applying force.Dont use the bolt ,as it has to be turned before you can remove it.....(threads are RH ,same as the other 1/4 billion Mausers made)

Boolit Master
    as i stated. i have a barrel vice. it holds the barrel

Boolit Buddy
    A piece of flat stock that will slide into locking lugs from the rear heated and bent at 90 degrees for a handle.

What tools do you have available? Lathe, mill, welder, drill press ect?

Boolit Master

do not use anything inserted into the rcvr to twist it off the barrel, guaranteed bad news.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    do not use anything inserted into the rcvr to twist it off the barrel, guaranteed bad news.
    Have used a receiver tool that is inserted in the receiver for over 20 years, no problems. Just make sure it is close to the locking lugs, if it is at the rear it can twist the receiver.

Boolit Master

I have a set of barrel vises and action wrench that was custom made for the m/96 and CG63 barrels. At least you can see what they look like.... Not for sale..

Boolit Master

Have used a receiver tool that is inserted in the receiver for over 20 years, no problems. Just make sure it is close to the locking lugs, if it is at the rear it can twist the receiver.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    i read it the first time you wrote it.

Boolit Master
    I use my large ring head for my brownells action wrench for small ring Mauser. The flat on the bottom of the reciever pretty much takes all the torque. So if you have a large ring action wrench try that. If your worried about the loose fit shim it with some sheet lead.
    I would shy away from anything that goes in the reciever rails. Every twisted and bent reciever I’ve ever heard about comes from a wrench like that. They became popular for benchrest guys with glue ins that change barrels regularly.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

+1 on AKAJUN!! At least get the ring head that matches the receiver, you can do what you want for a handle. To go through all that then wreck the receiver is just not worth it.
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Boolit Master
    thanks guys; good information. i have all of the tools necessary. i will make something up. lot of other projects going on at this time. a little cold here in western pa. got till springtime.

Boolit Master

i read it the first time you wrote it.
    I must be getting old. Maybe someone hit repeat.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I must be getting old. Maybe someone hit repeat.
    $&it happens.