MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 in 30-30 and cast bullets

Boolit Bub

Marlin 336 in 30-30 and cast bullets

I am soon to receive a JM 336 30-30 and was planning on shooting cast bullets. I posted this on the Marlin site also. This is a Gunbroker purchase and won't receive it until later next week. However since the purchase I have heard that the Micro groove rifling and cast bullets aren't the best combination, I cast bullets. Does anyone here have any experience with cast bullets and the Marlin 336? I much prefer Lee molds. Most of my shooting is just fooling around type of stuff. If I have to buy-God Forbid-factory rounds for hunting I may have to do that. Thanks Dave

I've heard the micro-groove barrels work OK if you keep the speed down a little with cast.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

It may or may not. You wont know til you try.
    Cast works perfectly fine in mine

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve shot a lot of cast boolits out of my .45/70 micro groove barrel. Lubed or PCed with smokeless and BP. Never had any problems. I’m just using iron sights and most of the time from a standing position. Maybe someone shooting bench-rest with a scope can tell if there’s a difference.

Boolit Master

It is a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you fear the answer you seek you will not find the answer you need.

The use of cast boolits in micro-groove barrels has been written about in many previous CBGL.com posts. Do a little homework.

Cast boolits work just fine in my Marlin 336's. Why would you purchase factory rounds rather than work up an alternate load for a jacketed bullet if cast doesn't work out for you?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I have my shoot great for me of the same model and cart. You need to make sure you fit the boolit to what the gun needs not what one say .Slug your gun when you get it. I shoot .310 in my .need to check yours
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

My 336 30-30 is pre micro-groove but the Lee C309-150-F feeds best. I've found a lot of common 30cal. bullet moulds throw bullets with nose too long to chamber in my rifle. I'm sure there are plenty of bullets that will work but the 150 works best of those I've tried. Gp

Boolit Master
    I have no experience with Lee rifle molds, but if you cast a bullet at least as hard as wheel weight, size about .310 with a good lube, and use a gas check, you'll probably get good results. I've successfully fired cast bullets in both .30/30 and .44 mag. microgroove.

Arrow

ddJ, Posts #4 & 5 are right on the money! Also, google search of the site revealed this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/goog...292j3025238j36

Moreover, my Marlin #336/Microgroove was especially accurate with certain CB's, especially Saeco #315, sized to .310". My .45-70, also Microgroove, is just as accurate.

Boolit Master
    The 'right size' bullet is the key to Marlin micro-groove.A .310 or even .311 usually works in the 30-30. To get to 'full velocity' 30-30 load levels, 170-180 grains at 2000fps, a gas check will be needed.
    Bullet fit is important, but you should be able to get close 1900-2000 fps with a little fussing. I would expect accuracy of 2 MOA, 2" or smaller groups at 100 yards in most Marlins with good sighting equipment (scope or really good eyes). I mostly shoot Micro-groove 35 Rem, 444 Marlin and 45-70. All easily do 2" 5 shot groups at 100yards. That is with a scope of 6 plus power with my 70 year old eyes, a 2-7, 2.5-8, or 3-9 will get you there. Prone over a bedroll sometimes works as well or better than benchresting Marlin's. The are many bench techniques for leverguns that are different than bolt guns. They are available here and other lever gun sights.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll get it figured out-I don't even have the rifle yet. Good info!

Boolit Master
    Get the lee TL 314-90-SWC mould and a can of 700 X and/or Bullseye and have a blast!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    If one listens real hard you certainly can hear that old wives tail echoing through the trees in the evening. The micro-groove barrels do just fine with cast. A fine fellow named Michael, "Ranchdog" designed a line of cast bullets for many calibers with micro-groove barrels. There were at least 2 or 3 designs that fit the Marlin barrels chambered in 30-30 depending on when the rifles were produced as the throats changed a bit over the years. Over on the NOE forum, there was a thread in which Michael explained which bullet design fit which guns. Lee cut the original molds and NOE later started cutting them. I was lucky enough to buy a 6 banger from Michael and it drops a great bullet that fits my 336 and my Win. 94 to a tee.

I got my to shoot like a 22lr with 32 cal boolits ,beside light loads with it. You can have it do what you like as long you do your part on it , also do not forget tube feed for the nose of the boolit you will load.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine has been fine with GC bullets sized to .311, COWW alloy and shot up to 1850 FPS. Never tried it any faster but I think it would work fine. I have shot both PC bullets and with traditional 50-50 lube. Both worked fine.
    I was also nervous after reading about all the trouble with Microgroove barrels. It turns out it just wasn't an issue for me.

Thanks
    Mike

When I had a couple Marlin 30/30's, both microgroove, they shot purchased Beartooth 173gr .310 GC boo!its great at about 1900fps, per load data. But both liked .311 if HyTek or PC'd boolits were used. My Henry is exactly the same. Boolits sized .002 over the microgroove size are no problem. All shot .308 170gr jacketed great too, especially Speer's. Have fun.
    Never trade luck for skill.

My is a Microgroove also What ever cast I load for it is .310 no matter it is for light load or shoot like a 22lr or just 00 buckshot and have a 44 mag that is also that is a Marlin is microgroove . They shoot just fine with cast .

Boolit Buddy
    Before I sold my 336 (stupidly) that micro groove did amazing with these two bullets sized to 0.310.

I was making low powered plinking loads because it was my first ever center fire rifle.

• Lee 312-155 - Powders were Unique and Trailboss. Never went over 1500fps, but I'm sure the boolit could do that. The unique load @ 1500 was laser accurate at 50 yards.
    • Lyman 311467 - I tried BLC-2 to get up to 1900fps. I do not remember the accuracy, but stopped the project due to selling the rifle. However, before that it was very accurate at 1400fps with Unique.

Boolit Master

Good advice given above. I'll also add match the powder and charge to the alloy and speed. My several micro-groove rifles shoot well with cast. One of my favorite loads in 30-30 is 15 grains of IMR4227 with a custom Accurate mold which drops at 180 grains or so and fits the Marlin throats very well.
    Good Luck, and enjoy your new rifle,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with micro- groove in anything but 22 LR so I cannot help there , but keeping your options open on mold selection can't hurt , I understand the reasonably priced mold to try is nice , but a few bucks spent on postage asking members to sell you a small sample of what works for them in micro - groove barrels , could turn your new rifle into a laser beam . Those fancy store bought jacket bullets cost 25-30 bucks a hundred wile that fine for hunting you can knock a lot of holes in paper with the funds spent in lead , powder , and primers + trigger time is priceless .
    Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast