RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Savage 110 switch barrel

Boolit Master

Savage 110 switch barrel

I have an older model Savage 110E, long action, small shank, stagger feed, blind magazine, presently wearing a .222 Rem barrel.
    Got the itch to switch out the barrel to 6.5x55. Picked up a replacement bolt to remedy the difference in the case head and an action 'wrench' from PTG.
    I know I still need a barrel nut wrench, probably a barrel vise and of course a barrel. As funds become available I'll acquire those. Got headspace gauges already.
    It'll probably be used as a single shot, off the bench, like it is now or the magazine will have to be swapped out also to accommodate the difference in cartridge length.

Has anyone gone this route and if so, how did it work out? Degree's of difficulty?

Brian
    Last edited by Czech_too; 01-25-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

the whole switch barrel concept is a great concept, but imo poor in reality. you might swap those barrels once or twice, but long term its a hassle. as for the barrel swap, on a savage its a piece of cake. put the rcvr in the action wrench, clamp action wrench in bench vise, then use barrel nut wrench and remove barrel nut. unscrew barrel. install is the reverse making sure to use a go gauge to set headspace as you screw in the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Czech_too View Post
    I have an older model Savage 110E, long action, small shank, stagger feed, blind magazine, presently wearing a .222 Rem barrel.
    Got the itch to switch out the barrel to 6.5x55. Picked up a replacement bolt to remedy the difference in the case head and an action 'wrench' from PTG.
    I know I still need a barrel nut wrench, probably a barrel vise and of course a barrel. As funds become available I'll acquire those. Got headspace gauges already.
    It'll probably be used as a single shot, off the bench, like it is now or the magazine will have to be swapped out also to accommodate the difference in cartridge length.

Has anyone gone this route and if so, how did it work out? Degree's of difficulty?

Brian
    I think lefty o has a pretty good analogy of the switch barrel Savage from my personal experience. Get yourself a long action 110 from a pawn shop or LGS, put a new 6.5x55 barrel on, scope it up and never look back.

edit: I did end up with 5 or 6 barrels to sell on ebay not that I wanted to
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I have built about 50 custom rifles on Savage actions. Like stated above, buy a older long action, staggered feed with the blind mag, in 30/06 or 270. I only use a barrel vise, with aluminum blocks, and some rosin to keep the barrel from turning. I made the barrel vise. I put the nut wrench on, slide the barrel up in the vise to within a inch or so of the nut, and really tighten the vise down, the put the wrench on the nut at about 3 oclock, and hit it with a dead blow hammer, once or twice and it usually spins free, then screw the action off. When I replace the new barrel in the vise, and screw the nut on it, I always coat the threads with anti seize grease. Then put the barrel nut on, place a go gauge in the chamber, and screw the action up till it stops, then back if off about half a turn. when the bolt will barely close on the bottom 1/3rd of the way down, tighten you nut up, and you will usually have very close headspace, 1-2 thousandths. I love the 6.5 Swede, I have built/sporterized about 140 of the 96 swedes when we could buy them for $70 each, in unfired condition. I have also built 4 on the Savage actions, and they all were barn burners. They would shoot 4-5 different bullet weights, 1/2" and under, 85, 120, 140, and 160 all very good. I built mine in 1985, and have taken about 50 deer with it, over 600 groundhogs, and right around 70 coyotes here in KY and other states. I made my longest shot ever on a deer here in 2018, Just a tad over 500yd with the Sierra 120SP, leaving the muzzle at about 3000fps out of my 24" barrel. I hit the deer angling forward, behind the last rib, thru the vitals, and blew the right foreleg off at the knee, DRT. I have a lot of different rifles, but this one is my go to for many years. If I can be of any help, pm me.

Boolit Buddy
    I personally have not jumped on the "Creedmore Wagon",mainly because I am a stubborn fan of 7mm08,but from a point of money you will do best to buy a budget rifle in 6.5 Creedmore if you want a 6.5..I don't know why anyone rebarreled a long action to 222,but assuming it feeds well from the mag,I would just keep it .A lot of today's budget rifles use a long action for all their offerings.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the early Savages like win model 70s only came in one action length. Bolt stops were used to change bolt throw for shorter rounds. Ive seen one pre 64 model 70 in 22 hornet ( Factory rifle) it was a lot of action for a little round.

I am not against swap barrel rigs, a lot of bench rest rifles were set up with different weight length barrels in the same caliber to "make weight"in the different classes. I have seen NRA high power rifles set up as swap barrels also ( back in the day of the bolt rifle).

What concerns me is several times I've seen where the barrel wasn't torqued in correctly and loosened during a match. While not hard attention to detail is important. The savage set up lends itself to quick easy barrel swaps, I've seen rem 700 s set up like this also.

Boolit Master
    Just recently had my “pawn shop” Savage 110 30/06 fitted with a 7 twist Shilen 22/250 barrel. Just now finalizing load development with the 85.5 gr Berger and H4831sc. As stated above it was a fairly easy conversion and I didn’t have to change anything with the bolt or magazine. I had a .223 Howa awhile back that was a long action with a spacer in the magazine.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Buy the barrel kit with a wrench it'll save you 20 bucks .

I think either a barrel or action wrench will do nicely with the B nut system .
    You'll want high mounts to clear the optics with the Savage wrench .

I've fancied a switch barrel where I could shoot one rifle for cheap summer shooting , medium to big game suitable cartridges in the innthe fall . After much deliberation and shooting a lot of cast I decided it was easier for me to just have 2-3 rifles .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Buy the barrel kit with a wrench it'll save you 20 bucks .

I think either a barrel or action wrench will do nicely with the B nut system .
    You'll want high mounts to clear the optics with the Savage wrench .

I've fancied a switch barrel where I could shoot one rifle for cheap summer shooting , medium to big game suitable cartridges in the innthe fall . After much deliberation and shooting a lot of cast I decided it was easier for me to just have 2-3 rifles .
    I think that is what most who have tried it finally determined, I did. If I had a switch barrel it would be a NO TOOLS, interrupted thread, fore end mounted on the barrel for each caliber/ barrel-think 2 piece wood stock, metal capped fore stock and butt stock- finger release lock, and it would be a mauser possibly 6.5x57,8x57 and 9.3x57 or 270-338/06-9.3x62. One rifle 3 calibers, open sights, 24-26 inch barrels and approx 60 second barrel swap, you would have to release the QD front swivel to change caliber. Now that would be a switch barrel rifle!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of good information here. I have done a few of the Savage switch barrels, including a 6.5x55. The barrel is an EABCO and I would recommend them. A dedicated (read pawn shop find) would be a great option as it is a bit of a pain. Good luck with your project and reach out if I can be of service.
    Zingger