Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help Identify 308 J-Words Incendiary?

Help Identify 308 J-Words Incendiary?

I bought a box of taped sierra 150gr .308 bullets at an estate sale to reload in a 95 winchester 30'06 but when I opened them I got these. They're right on .308 but they vary in weight 136gr +/- 0.8gr. The tip is a baby blue. I have about 100x of these guys, looked it up and it seems that the blue is US for incendairy, pulled from 30'06 ammo. These good to shoot if reloaded? Will they mess up the 95 barrel, will they do anything if they hit at the leisure velocities of a mild 30'06 load for the 95?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	255341

Moderator Emeritus

I don't see any incendiary compound?
    Years ago, when I pulled some incendiary rounds, the base had a dollop of a chalky substance that looks like primer compound that easily came off the back of the bullet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

That almost looks like a "staked" in primer in the base of the bullet!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Blue tip are incendiary. Be careful to not start fires with them. They velocities you will get out your '95 will be fast enough to get a "flash" if a hard target is hit, like a steel gong.

Boolit Master
    Don’t know about the blue, I’ve pulled down some red tipped military 30-06 that weighed 143 gr and had steel core and tracer material in base. They would light up at approx 100 yards and glow for about a mile or so. Shot about 100 and didn’t see any bad results in barrel, but i do clean my barrels pretty good after shooting something strange like that. I would load a few and shoot into something metal and see what happens.

Boolit Master

Personally I would find someone who's into that sort of thing, and trade your 100 for maybe 500 regular bullets. Incendiary bullets are generally worth substantially more than regular fmj or hunting bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    They are most likely incendiary. The original owner probably only wanted the brass. He didn’t shoot them. Think hard if you really want to shoot them.

Boolit Master
    Straight Incendiary Military surplus. Shot a lot Of those. As was stated They Start Fires
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Thanks for the replies, sounds like they are def incendiary. I'll prob keep a few and shout a couple just to say I did. Try to trade the rest off at a gunshow for regular j words. Maybe I better go back to that sale!

Boolit Mold
    Incendiary material is pyrophoric and ignites when exposed to air. If you're hitting anything hard enough to cause the bullet's jacket to deform at the tip (or shed entirely) enough to expose the material, it will ignite. Generally 30-06 velocities (even at distance) hitting a relatively hard target will accomplish this.

As none of this occurs inside the barrel, your rifle will be fine; the target is a major concern.