RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The foundation of a Scout Rifle

Boolit Master
    I appreciated the goal of the scout rifle back then. Since then the accuracy of the AR platform has improved dramatically such that it is capable of "medium" range accuracy as well as operating as a close quarters weapon. And the sighting systems are even more flexible. Just watch a typical '3 gun' match. The reliability of the AR has also improved enough to be near that of a bolt rifle and the 'AR10' allows using some of the more potent calibers advocated in the scout concept rifles. About the only place it 'fails' is the extreme long range of a higher power sniper rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I appreciated the goal of the scout rifle back then. Since then the accuracy of the AR platform has improved dramatically such that it is capable of "medium" range accuracy as well as operating as a close quarters weapon. And the sighting systems are even more flexible. Just watch a typical '3 gun' match. The reliability of the AR has also improved enough to be near that of a bolt rifle and the 'AR10' allows using some of the more potent calibers advocated in the scout concept rifles. About the only place it 'fails' is the extreme long range of a higher power sniper rifle.
    Cooper came up with his criteria over 30 years ago. He might think differently now.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If memory serves Cooper wrote up his scout rifle in the 1984 Gun Digest and about everywhere else possibly beginning even earlier than 1984. I don't think there were any Eotechs around then. Though I have never owned an AR I also believe it might be smartest to set up an AR-15 in an over .22 caliber with the flexibility of multiple sighting systems if you wanted a scout. AR10s are too heavy to meet his weight goals.

Having played around with the concept with several bolt and lever action rifles, mostly in the 80s and 90s I am sold on the speed of target acquisition, provided the scope mount is low enough, but not on the short barrels. Unless you are in and out of vehicles regularly a bit longer rifle offers advantages in noise reduction and balance.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Cooper came up with his criteria over 30 years ago. He might think differently now.
    That was kinda my point. It was before a lot of the changes made to the AR platform over the years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    That was kinda my point. It was before a lot of the changes made to the AR platform over the years.
    Agreeing with you Charlie b. Not just about the AR either. There are many good sights available now that were not around back then.

Cooper was not ahead of his time on this rifle IMHO.
    Don Verna

You have 4 rules for liberals, I have only one: Liberals are driven purely by emotion and never by logic.

That is why they screw up everything they touch. Emotion only ever results in the path of least resistance which is seldom an accurate solution.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    While not in 308/7.62 Nato, the Argentine 1891 and 1909 carbines in 7.65x53mm,Spanish short rifles in 7mm mauser, Persian carbines in 8mm mauser and any military mausers in carbine or short rifle configuration could be adapted to a scout rifle. And I forgot the Spanish FR-7 & FR-8 carbines in 7.62 Nato. Though I would lean towards the FR-8 being a 98 action. Frank

Boolit Master

Back in the day a poor man's scout rifle could be had with a Remington 600 or a Ruger ultralight in 308. Conventional mounted low power Leupold at 8 ozs got you real close to weight.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Back in the day a poor man's scout rifle could be had with a Remington 600 or a Ruger ultralight in 308. Conventional mounted low power Leupold at 8 ozs got you real close to weight.

I think the SAKO 85 Finnlight in 7mm-08 may be a close modern equivalent but it will not make the "poor man's" criteria

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234