Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Shiloh-Sharps Cavalry Carbine

Boolit Buddy

Shiloh-Sharps Cavalry Carbine

Here's a fun video for a Saturday morning!

Howard

Boolit Grand Master

It was informative and interesting. Shame no cast bullets and true Black powder, What the rifle was designed to use back in the day.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    It was informative and interesting. Shame no cast bullets and true Black powder, What the rifle was designed to use back in the day.
    I know, I know. I used the ammunition that this carbine's owner was gracious enough to supply. I may revisit the black powder/cast bullet concept in the future if I buy one of these rifles for myself. Thanks for watching!

Howard

Boolit Grand Master

Also the 45-70 with the right loads is a fine mid range to long range shooter. I shoot BPCR silhouettes with the rams being at 500 yds. It will clean them 10 for 10. That rifle at 8-9 lbs is going to be light for the bullets used for this. I currently use the 500 grn lyman govt round nose (457125), 535 grn lyman postell and a old west 550 grn silhouette. All are loaded over 1 1/2 f BP to around 1200 fps. Literally shoots over the rainbow LOL. My rifles are in the 12 lb weight range so recoil is some softer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    Here's a fun video for a Saturday morning!

Howard

Here in the northeast the Sharps rifles are few and far between. There are a couple of places that have matches for them around, but most shooters pay them no mind. Me, I like the Sharps carbine because I want to hunt with it. With the brush here and maybe the best shot you're going to get around 300 yards, a heavy 11-12 pound Sharps or Rolling Block is simply too much gun to hike through the pines with, these carbines are the perfect size and you still get the nostalgia of hunting with a Sharps.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master

Another interesting gun test by Howard. I enjoyed it and have to say you are right about not seeing anything of this quality on a used gun rack! I know if I did it would be too many Benjamin's for me. Thanks Howard.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Another interesting gun test by Howard. I enjoyed it and have to say you are right about not seeing anything of this quality on a used gun rack! I know if I did it would be too many Benjamin's for me. Thanks Howard.
    Thanks all! This was a fun video and I really enjoyed the Shiloh-Sharps carbine. Too bad I have to give it back to its owner!

Howard

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    Here in the northeast the Sharps rifles are few and far between. There are a couple of places that have matches for them around, but most shooters pay them no mind. Me, I like the Sharps carbine because I want to hunt with it. With the brush here and maybe the best shot you're going to get around 300 yards, a heavy 11-12 pound Sharps or Rolling Block is simply too much gun to hike through the pines with, these carbines are the perfect size and you still get the nostalgia of hunting with a Sharps.
    300 yards?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    300 yards?
    Yeah, where I hunt here in the north country we have a lot of trees hills and even where I hunt in another part of the state is where there are corn fields but it's got some hills so the best you might get from one end to the other is about 300 yards. I've shot deer out to 100 yards there but haven't had one longer. Myself I think I would maybe take a 200 yard shot but probably not push one past that.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.