Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Need data for 170gr data for 7.62x39 load

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon

Need data for 170gr data for 7.62x39 load

I would like some data on 7.62x39 with 170gr cast and acurate 2015. I have search all over and cant find a thing. My best guess at a starting load is 20gr based on the lee 312-160-2R. This is for a ar15. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure, but I think the bullet you're describing may be the Lee copy of the 7.62x39 bullet designed by C. E. Harris years ago and made by NEI. I used the NEI bullet for cast loads in a Ruger bolt-action 7.62 x 39. Weight from an alloy that was just a bit softer than linotype was 167 grains.

I tried many powders and bullet weights for this cartridge. 2015 was one of the powders I used with the NEI bullet. You're starting load would be a safe one in my opinion. There may be some data out there somewhere. There was an article in HANDLOADER #177 (October 1995) about this with extensive data. May or may not be available online.

Boolit Buddy
    Not your powder, but a long, related thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...LeveRevolution

Another article

http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks4.htm

Boolit Master
    A bit off-topic, but after using many cast bullets ranging from about 160 grains to around 215 grains, I've settled on one bullet and powder combination, the Lyman #314299 (hollowpointed by Eric Ohlen) cast of wheelweight alloy (200 grains) and H4895 powder. I load to a muzzle velocity of just under 1750 fps. Without looking up old notes, I can't remember if this is the most accurate load I've found for my Ruger bolt-action 7.62x39, but if it's not, it's very close.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    Thanks I have read both of those articles, and would use Leverevotion, if I did not have a large amount of 2015 that was free. I tested 18gr of 2015 and there was a tiny bit of powder left in the bore but the action functioned fine for that one shot. The bullet I'm using is from arsenal molds and is the 170gr sliver bullet. It is a lot like the Ed Harris bullet.