Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP100 .44 Special ring around the barrel

GP100 .44 Special ring around the barrel

Just got back from the range and was giving the GP .44 special a good cleaning. I was aware of some thread choke from slugging the barrel after it came back from the factory. With a tight fitting patch the thread choke was easy to feel. After a few clean patches I looked down the bore and saw a ring clearly visible about 3/4 around the barrel about 1/2" to 3/4" up from the forcing cone. It is especially visible in the grooves.

Sooo do I call Ruger and complain again? Am I being too particular to expect a gun to be properly assembled? I REALLY like the gun. The trigger is better than my match champion and the new cylinder is spot on for diameter. The new barrel has almost no gap under the front sight but then there is that darn choke. I would be one happy camper if the gun was on speech and put together right. I waited a long time for a gun like this and bugged my pusher to get one of the first ones in the area. Just want it to be right.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Have Ruger make it right.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Ruger should have to make it right. If it takes 6 tries, it just takes 6 tries. Sad, but true. Hopefully they can fix yours in two tries.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Have Ruger make it right.
    Yep, they are usually great about fixing any issues. But it royally sucks that the end user is their quality control department.

Boolit Master

y ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 01:47 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    I'd just firelap it out ... everything else is right ... firelapping is easy ...
    Yep, me too. Especially when the other option gives them a chance to screw up what they finally got right.

I understand the firelap logic but consarnit I should not have too. If I want different grips or sights or finish or whatever that would be on me but having the gun put together properly should be on them.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is the gun shooting well? Groups/Leading? If the gun is shooting well, why worry about it?

If it bothers you, at least with fire lapping or even a lead lap you will have the issue resolved in less time than sending it out and hoping Ruger does not create another issue.
    Don Verna

Of course, if you lap,it and it doesn't turn out, you own it, and Ruger will have to fix it anyway, on your dime. I'd send it back, distasteful as it is.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    How does it shoot? If the gun is shooting as it should,,, then why worry about a cosmetic issue,,, unless you wish to firelap it to see if it improves.

I am a bit concerned that the ring in the barrel could cause problems in the future. Weren't there some redhawks that had barrel failures?

Boolit Master
    Ring in barrel?

That seems to indicate a bigger problem than thread choke--like maybe they stuck a bullet in the bore and shot it out with the next round when they fired your test target?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I am a bit concerned that the ring in the barrel could cause problems in the future. Weren't there some redhawks that had barrel failures?
    There was one lot of Redhawks that had a problem with barrels shearing off at the threads. This was traced to the lubricant used on the threads. That lube was immediately replaced and there hasn't been another instance of it to my knowledge. I have a love/hate relationship with Ruger. I really like their guns - when they get them right. With their emphasis on quantity rather than quality, that doesn't always happen. I would send it back, again, and ask them to replace the barrel. Hopefully the new one will be right.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    "I am a bit concerned that the ring in the barrel could cause problems in the future. Weren't there some redhawks that had barrel failures?"

Ok,,, I guess the question is about the "ring." From your earlier posts,,, and the current craze of firelapping a slight thread choke issue,,, made me figure this was your concern.

As for bbl separation,,, I, yes,,,me,,, was the first person to have a Redhawk bbl separate from the frame. And yes,,, it took Ruger a long time to figure out what the problem was,, and it was the lube, AND allowing it to set up for a period of time before installing the bbl. It was a hard problem to track down,,, and was the reason the Super Redhawk was developed. Once they discovered the lube changed properties after it had set up & dried,,, causing an over torque issue,, they fixed things.
    There has not been a bbl separation since to my knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    I'd just firelap it out ... everything else is right ... firelapping is easy ...
    I agree. If that is the only problem then I'd do this
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

s ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

As one of the gunzine writers told a friend of mine.

It seems the arms manufacturers are using the consumer as their QA/QC section.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    If a revolver was old enough for no liability to reasonably be pinned on the manufacturer, I would say lap it, and I put more trust in an ordinary lead and abrasive lap than firelapping. But Ruger are still the same company, on paper as well as in name, and the trouble dates from recent action of theirs. People are right in saying it is their responsibility. I would do a minutes-long job sooner than mess about with that, but not this one.

Shipping label is on it's way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Shipping label is on it's way.
    Hopefully the front sight isn't on the bottom of the barrel when it comes back I'm sure they will make it right, enjoy it when it returns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast