RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I found TREASURE! Bargain Model 29-2 !

Hope you bought a lottery ticket on the way home. Great gun, great deal !

Boolit Master
    Its apparently 79-80 production which I was surprised by, I figured it was older but a 600000 to 700000 SN range is it according to the Standard Catalog.

Top strap is not bad, it had a little line in it but not bad at all. The bore is absolutely mint, nice and bright. The forcing cone is in great condition too. The muzzle crown is 100% perfect. Its not being abused at all or been getting a hot supper if at all, its been pretty well cared for. The worst damage on the gun is some scratches through the bluing on the left side of the barrel, less than a pencil eraser size like it accidentally contacted something on accident once. It has a few other small blemishes and a line through the bluing from some other stocks at some point. I wish that wasn't the case because its such a pretty gun and that gorgeous hot blue like this gun wears aims straight at my heart. I absolutely love the lustrous, deep glossy blued finishes.

I'll be looking forward to putting some Altamont "coke bottle" stocks on it if they get some in-stock soon. If they don't then maybe a set of Herrett's or some Nill's. I really love the Nill Griffe stippled wood target stocks but they don't come cheap!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    So a question for my fellow Model 29 owners out there...
    What are your favorite boolits (moulds) for your 29? Boolits that your gun really loves?

I don't have anything for 44cal casting so I have a problem to solve!

Not looking to rotate the earth here. I'll probably load some serious medicine pills but more than anything else I want accuracy and probably a design that works well as a meat-getter would be nice!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lyman #429421 or the like in the past; I might try out a TCFP boolit though

Boolit Master
    Lyman 429244 Gas check mold #1, and 429421 as #2, both sized to .431.

Boolit Master
    Ill have a look at those. Any experience with full wadcutters in 44cal?

I do have a friend that may have some 44cal H&G stuff too. I really love the old Hensley & Gibbs moulds, can't beat'em!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I never bought a WC mold, so no experience here with WCs in 44 Mag, should do well though.

Might want to check your cylinder throats. My 29-2 has .4335"-.434" throats. All the bullets for it get sized .433' and it shoots great. I have been running Accurate 43-233H, 43-230G, and NOE 432-277-K molds. All shoot well. I had an RCBS 44-250K that only turned out bullets about .430-.431. They shot Ok if cast really soft but the .433 bullets shoot much better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6thtexas View Post
    Might want to check your cylinder throats. My 29-2 has .4335"-.434" throats. All the bullets for it get sized .433' and it shoots great. I have been running Accurate 43-233H, 43-230G, and NOE 432-277-K molds. All shoot well. I had an RCBS 44-250K that only turned out bullets about .430-.431. They shot Ok if cast really soft but the .433 bullets shoot much better.
    I agree. I have an older Model 29 with .433" chambers. Have to cast them large and size them like you do.

Bought a newer S&W 629 and it had chamber throats of .428". I sent the cylinder to Doug, here on the Cast Boolit site, and he reamed them out, and it shoots cast beautifully.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

yup you sure stole that one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12