Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found TREASURE! Bargain Model 29-2 !

Boolit Master

I found TREASURE! Bargain Model 29-2 !

So my wonderful local indoor range that is our USPSA home range, Range54 in Wichita Ks, had a sweetheart in the used rack! Ill preface this with the fact that im a S&W fan and I especially appreciate the older classics. They had some serious bait in the case for a Smith fan today. A 6" barreled Model 29-2, target sights, Pachmyer grips. A lovely pinned & recessed with hammer nose pin. Large serrated trigger. It has some blueing damage, nothing to serious, just a little character! It appears to be very lightly used, no flame cut in the top strap and everything is tight but very smooth. Would you believe it if I told you it I adopted it for $500 !

Don't call the police on me but I think that qualifies as theft!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200124_195459-2016x1512.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	255326 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200124_195449-2016x1512.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	255327
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I agree lol Good for you hope it shoots well for you.I found one last week 29-2 8 in they wanted $1200 ouch!!.

Did you get the 6" or the 8-3/8" in the pics? Either way I'd of bought it too.

Boolit Master
    I'm still in disbelief I stumbled upon that lovely blued beauty for that price! I think id be really kicking myself if I didn't rescue it! I wasn't looking for an M29 but im a softy for P&R classics. What ive been wanting is a clean Model 27. The .38 Special & .357 are two of my favorite cartridges. I have 5 revos in those two cartridges currently. This 29-2 us my only .44cal. Still happy to give it a home!
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 01-25-2020 at 02:08 AM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Did you get the 6" or the 8-3/8" in the pics? Either way I'd of bought it too.
    Its the same gun in both pics. I was thinking it was a 6" but it wasn't listed on the tag and I didn't measure it, maybe it is an 8-3/8?
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

The ejector shroud lug is slightly less than half the length of the barrel sticking out of the frame on a 6". On a 8-3/8" the lug is a little over 1/3 the length of the barrel sticking out of the frame. I've got a 629-2 and a 29-3 with the 8-3/8" barrels. They shoot great and are easy to hit with. Been my favorite deer hunting pistols for almost 30 years now. You'll love it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    The ejector shroud lug is slightly less than half the length of the barrel sticking out of the frame on a 6". On a 8-3/8" the lug is a little over 1/3 the length of the barrel sticking out of the frame. I've got a 629-2 and a 29-3 with the 8-3/8" barrels. They shoot great and are easy to hit with. Been my favorite deer hunting pistols for almost 30 years now. You'll love it!
    Okay, so she is a 8-3/8 then! Im not that good at judging that kind of suff sometimes and I was rushed since I'm a range officer and I had to get the match underway. I didn't bring it home tonight either. The range closes at 9pm and we were way late finishing tonight and they were all shut down minus us finishing tonight so I paid a deposit to hold it till I can come in for it. Hopefully tomorrow!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Congrats again! Starting a rebuild on my 29 right now. New complete cylinder assembly, cylinder stop, hand and the barrel is going to be set back. Was tempted to get a 27 barrel and cylinder for it and make it a 357. But I think I'll keep saving up for a nice 27.

Boolit Master
    Time to order some dies and boolit moulds, brass, etc!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Let us know it shoots.

Boolit Master

Wow great deal congrats! My son bought me a 25-5 about a year ago from our LGS. 800.00 The LGS claimed it was new, It came in a display. Said it been in his warehouse for sometime. They came across it and put on the sales floor. I love it. I can hut steel at 100 yards with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8312.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	255373
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

No, I don't believe you adopted that for $500

What a great deal!
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

It has a pinned front sight. Is that original? My 1975, 29-2 with 6 1/2 inch barrel doesn't have that.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Master
    Perhaps it is an earlier 29-2 with an S prefix serial number? I checked several 29-2s and they didn't have a pinned front sight.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master

Did you wear a mask?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I am surprised that the 29-2 in the photo, has a patridge front sight. I thought that they all had red ramps. My 29-2 red ramp is not pinned, but rather a part of the barrel.

Boolit Master
    It is at home safe! I didn't even wear a mask!

It is indeed an 8-3/8 barrel and it definitely is a pinned patridge front blade. It was owned by a silhouette shooter so that all fits the picture. I put a few cylinders full downrange and it shoots quite well in my unsteady hands. Point of aim/impact was off a bit but thats not surprising considering its former life. I went packing light so i didn't bother trying to zero it yet. The serial range puts this one in a 1979-1980 range of production. Its a lovely older Smith, happy to adopt it!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Congrats!

How is the forcing cone? I'm still sort of shopping one clean looking 29 that has a pretty worn cone... silhouette shooters around here have used heavy N110 loads and the cones show it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Did you wear a mask?
    Yeah, thats what I thought. He should be ashamed robbing people like that then bragging about it.

Any top strap cutting?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    That was a great price...

As to the front sight blade, I have several Model 57s that were made between 1964 and 1980. Guns made between 1964 and 1968/9 area have the sight base and blade pined to barrel with two pins. From 1969 to 1980 the base was machined as part of the barrel and the blade pinned to the sight base. In mid-1980 they changed to a one piece front sight that is machined with the barrel....drop the gun, break the sight and there is a problem. I had two 1980 vintage Model 57s. The lower serial number has a pined on front blade. The later one has a one piece front sight.

One can usually tell if the front blade is original from the factory or not by the polishing of the pins.

Have a great time with that one...

My bet would be that if you check the serial number that will be a 70s vintage gun...I have a 57 just like it and it is a great shooter.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast