WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lee reloading press

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Single stage press? Just go onto ebay any time and search reloading presses and then pay attention to how many 70 year old "C" type presses that keep getting listed and sold. That in and of itself has to say something about the design!
    Because that is what over 90% of the presses on the market were back then.

My first press in '73 or '74 was a Rock Chucker because I thought it was the best that I could just barely afford. 8-10 years later I inherited a Texan C frame press (aluminum) that I had helped my brother select. Then about 15 years ago I acquired a Reloader Special at a yard sale. All three are good presses, but if I could afford them I would add a Lee press or three.

First choice would be a Loadmaster for pistol loading. A Breech Lock Pro might be a near ideal depriming station if equipped with a case loader and a case kicker. If I needed another heavy duty press then I would select a Classic Turret.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 02-02-2020 at 01:27 PM. Reason: changed Classic Cast to Classic Turret in last sentence.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Because that is what over 90% of the presses on the market were back then..
    And they are still going strong.
    Not sure but I think you missed my point. The real point being that when it comes to single stage presses there isn't much difference and that presses from 1950 are still in use and still have value. People are still searching them out and buying them. Heck, even that 46 year old press that you reference is still holding value and still has plenty of life left in it.

When I see topics with newbies asking which press they should buy I always tell them, A used one! Unless it was horribly abused or neglected most likely it will still be usable for a very long time. 3 of the 4 presses I own today were purchased used.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    Lets see you spend over $2000.00 on a exotic rifle and $2500.00 on a imported scope sight.

Then spend $50 on a press and even less on dies! Something doesn't compute here??????
    Let's see...spend $1000 per tooth for crowns or implants...and then eat the dollar menu at McDonald's...something doesn't compute here????
    Um...who spends that kind of money on a rifle or scope? Out of my league...

My most expensive "exotic" rifle cost $650. My most expensive scope cost $450.
    My inexpensive Lee press makes ammunition that groups under MOA in my rifles.
    Why would I spend big bucks on any of those things when they will not do any better than what I already have?
    I would much rather spend the money on components to build ammunition I can shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    My most expensive "exotic" rifle cost $650. My most expensive scope cost $450.
    My inexpensive Lee press makes ammunition that groups under MOA in my rifles.
    Why would I spend big bucks on any of those things when they will not do any better than what I already have?
    I would much rather spend the money on components to build ammunition I can shoot.
    Me to

Boolit Grand Master

These threads always crack me up for many reasons. For one most people haven't used a bunch of different presses. So they have no direct knowledge of what they're bashing. Second is people's insistence on "brand loyalty". The only thing this gets you is tools w/ the same name on them. It does not mean you get the best tool for the job. And third is the "you get what you pay for" mentality. This is not the case w/ most things anymore. In most cases you overpay for what you get. This is partially due to accountants running companies and pushing products out the door based solely on profit margin.

I started collecting a lot of presses over the past few years. Chances are if it's a press everyone knows about I have it. And I've slowly added to my "collector" press collection. I don't think the older presses are any better than modern presses. In the case of primer handling the modern presses are usually superior. This is certainly design but a press w/ a non hollow ram makes little sense to me. Another area where they are superior is leverage. This has more to do w/ design than age. But simple linkage presses aren't really being made anymore. Older presses didn't give you the option to mount the handle on either side. I won't really debate quality of materials when it comes to vintage versus modern. But modern testing techniques have allowed for proper materials to be used. Using steel throughout isn't really necessary.

This thread is specifically about Lee. Haters are always going to hate. I don't know why it's this way when it comes to Lee. As I said I have a lot of presses from a lot of manufacturers. There are three presses I will never part w/. A Lee Classic Turret, a Lee Classic Cast and Dillon 550B. The LCT is by far the most versatile. It's as easy to churn out a few rounds for testing as it is to crank out a couple hundred. Downside is the four handle pulls for a completed round. I can use the 550B for load development but it's not as convenient as the LCT. I've tested run out w/ the LCC and there's no difference between it and a vast number of other brand/models. So why pay more? If I wanted another color I would just paint it.

I've found very few reasons to buy other brands of dies as well. Main reason I do is when Lee doesn't make that type of die. I don't shoot for a score or bragging rights. I shoot to put meat on the table and defend myself. Lee dies have been able to deliver better accuracy and consistency then factory ammo. There have been some cases where the Lee dies did fail me. But I simply bought another brand and moved on. I own a lot more Lee dies than all other brands combined. Cost isn't a factor for me in the normal sense of "can I afford it". I debate cost in the sense of why pay more when "x" does the job I need it to do.

Buy what you can afford and go from there. If you don't like it then buy another model or brand. We all have different needs. Telling everyone they need a RCBS A2 press because it's a tank does nothing. Fact is it's completely overbuilt for all reloading duties. And it's under built, relative, for bullet swaging. Modern designs are better and more affordable. I personally think some Lee designs epitomize "better and more affordable". Why spend $300 when $100 will get the job done?

Boolit Master

And they are still going strong.
    Not sure but I think you missed my point. The real point being that when it comes to single stage presses there isn't much difference and that presses from 1950 are still in use and still have value. People are still searching them out and buying them. Heck, even that 46 year old press that you reference is still holding value and still has plenty of life left in it.

When I see topics with newbies asking which press they should buy I always tell them, A used one! Unless it was horribly abused or neglected most likely it will still be usable for a very long time. 3 of the 4 presses I own today were purchased used.
    I did miss your point. Agree that a good buy on a used press is the best way to go. I don't mind too bad when a snob overpays to have the "best", except that I realize that it serves to raise the cost on most things I buy because as long as some people are willing to overpay for some item then similar items will tend to also be overpriced.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I'm not a huge fan of some of Lee's "precision" products, and have been known to knock them on this forum several times, but I will vouch for their presses.
    15 years ago when I started reloading I could only afford a basic kit to start with, so I bought a Challenger press kit.
    I reload for 357 and 32-20, and used to reload for 222, and have lost count of how many thousands of rounds I have made on that press, but it's still going. It's starting to wear, but I've had my moneys worth, and then some.
    I'm sure that their old classic cast press would last more than one lifetime.
    If you lined up a few of the best selling brands of presses, and made a batch of 5 - 10 rounds on each, then benchrest tested them, I bet only the best of benchrest shooters with their top notch target rifles would be able to show a difference.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by gundownunder View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of some of Lee's "precision" products, and have been known to knock them on this forum several times, but I will vouch for their presses.
    15 years ago when I started reloading I could only afford a basic kit to start with, so I bought a Challenger press kit.
    I reload for 357 and 32-20, and used to reload for 222, and have lost count of how many thousands of rounds I have made on that press, but it's still going. It's starting to wear, but I've had my moneys worth, and then some.
    I'm sure that their old classic cast press would last more than one lifetime.
    If you lined up a few of the best selling brands of presses, and made a batch of 5 - 10 rounds on each, then benchrest tested them, I bet only the best of benchrest shooters with their top notch target rifles would be able to show a difference.
    Amen.....

Boolit Master
    "You get what you pay for" is largely a joke. We can't get a Cadillac for the price of a Chevy but the ratio of utility to cost is WAY out of reason.

A LOT of things are overpriced and the only way the makers can get away with it is a certain percentage of folk fool themselves and equate cost with value; there are plenty of people ready to take their money. Fact is, people who first want to impress others with brand names get Rolex watches; those who want to know what time it is gets a Timex.

Those of us who want to reload quality ammo don't automatically sneer at Lee's stuff. Some of it's as good as can be bought at any price and a lot of it can't be bought anywhere else. Anyone thinking he will get better accuracy by junking his Lee press and replacing it with one of the much more expensive presses is going to be disappointed.

As I see is if Lee is such junk. Why do so many other manufactures copy Lee tools?
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    As I see is if Lee is such junk. Why do so many other manufactures copy Lee tools?
    Leo
    No one will copy a Lee 1000

I have Lee stuff. I am a tool snob and have “better” stuff too. Most Lee stuff is good. Some is not

Anyone starting out and looking for a SS or turret press will be fine with Lee. Great value IMHO
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Apparently no one want to copy the Lee Turret press either!

Boolit Master
    Easy
    1. The length of the Lee press handle is adjustable. On a single stage press, you are doing a lot of different operations, and some of them require 1/50th of the force/leverage than sizing rifle brass, or push thru sizing. You can shorten the lever for priming, expanding, seating, and for sizing pistol brass. Lengthen it for sizing rifle brass.

This is one of the reasons I started spray/shake lubing my 9mm brass, so I could comfortably do it with a shorter lever length which is ideal for the priming. That thick and slightly tapered 9mm case makes it the outlier among the pistol cases.

2. Priming. Lee SS presses have the best priming method, IMO. It is way more reliable and controllable than hand primers to me. I feed each one by hand, but I also size/decap in the same operation and don't deal with jams or primers not seated properly. When priming mixed brass, there is no substitute for feel, if you want 100% reliability. The Lee SS presses allow you to seat the primer to the depth where it is done. Not to a depth stop.
    3. Breechlock. This is a great feature. I haven't adjusted a die in years.
    Last edited by gloob; 01-30-2020 at 07:20 PM.

gloob,
    On #1 not all Lee SS presses have adjustable handles. The Handpress and Reloader press do not. These are Lee's two least expensive presses. making them to do so would increase the price. This would defeat their purpose.
    On #2 I haven't tried either of Lee's press mounted priming tools so I can't agree they are better or worse than their hand or bench mounted primers. I have had a Lee round tray priming tools since 1980 or so when I gave up on press priming with my Rockchucker press I started loading on in 1978.
    Never liked loading primers in a tube.
    After Lee came out with the Ergo prime I got one. The lever being under your fingers instead of your thumb was better.
    Priming still bothered me because I broke both my thumbs in two different motorcycle crashes. My thumbs would ache for days after a priming session.
    When Lee came out with their bench prime I got one of them. It is much easier on my thumbs. It did have a learning curve to find how it operates the best.
    I can now prime all I want.
    On #3 I agree totally. the breech lock works. Their o-ring lock nut is the best thing since sliced bread.
    I have thought about getting Lee's roller handle kit to see if it will work on my challenger press. I think I might like it. I may just try building one.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 01-31-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Apparently no one want to copy the Lee Turret press either!
    They probably want to but it's patiented bro!

On the other hand, no one wants to copy RCBS' Green Machine and it's patient has expired. (I suspect their Summit is doomed to market oblivion as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Amen! I've had a Lee 1000 for years. Tried the LM, but all it gave was headaches. I don't load enough yearly to take the big plunge, so the 1000 gets me by, albeit brain exhaustion from looking at all 3 stages to make sure it's working. A hundred rounds is about all the stimulation I care for in a sitting. Back to the OP, the Classic Cast is a superior SS for me. It's solid and dependable.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I'm pretty sure SS presses are like any other tool or appliance. It doesn't cost much for basic operation, but the cost rises exponentially as you try for greater and greater precision or function. Like a laptop, where an couple hundred gets you capable of doing 95%, but a couple thousand more to get the other 5%. The same goes for cars, smart phones, and toasters.

I've never had Lee press, but the number of old ones out there still in use tells me I wouldn't be afraid to own one.

Boolit Master
    I haven't tried either of Lee's press mounted priming tools so I can't agree they are better or worse than their hand or bench mounted primers. I have had a Lee round tray priming tools since 1980 or so when I gave up on press priming with my Rockchucker press I started loading on in 1978.
    Never liked loading primers in a tube.
    44magLeo, yeah, the Rockchucker spills those decapped primers everywhere, too. I seen where a guy build a little box to catch them. Also seen where a priming mishap with a tube results in a chain reaction and a primer tube launching into the ceiling. The other problem with the RockChucker for my own taste/ergos is that there is no space behind the ram, so you have to put the case in from the front, only.

I haven't tried the new Ergo Prime, but I threw away my old school Lee hand prime. Jams. And it requires too much force to get the primer in, so I lose feeling/feedback, personally. End up with some primers not seated completely. Even 1 misfire out of 1000 bothers me, and I have to figure out the reason until I get it right. (and/or stop buying Tula small pistol primers.)

After Lee came out with the Ergo prime I got one. The lever being under your fingers instead of your thumb was better.
    Priming still bothered me because I broke both my thumbs in two different motorcycle crashes. My thumbs would ache for days after a priming session.
    When Lee came out with their bench prime I got one of them. It is much easier on my thumbs. It did have a learning curve to find how it operates the best.
    I can now prime all I want.
    The Lee bench prime is a bit different from how the Lee SS presses prime. On the LEE presses, you prime on the downstroke of the ram. (Handle going up). What I do it set the lever short and I squeeze the primer in with my fingers around the front of the O-frame and the lever ball in my palm. Lots of feel and just the right leverage to make it easy and sure! Thumb vs fingers? I use my hole hand/grip for this.

I have thought about getting Lee's roller handle kit to see if it will work on my challenger press. I think I might like it. I may just try building one.
    Leo
    "Challenger" sounds familiar. I think that's the press I have, LOL. It's hard to remember. It just says LEE on it, and I haven't thought about it in several years, now.
    If you load any straight wall pistol, you might wanna give it a try at priming the way I do it. Unlike the bench prime, you can combine it with size/decap to save time. If the short throw is too hard for you, spritz and shake with the spray lube, first! I only need to do that with 9mm. Well, "need" is subjective. I loaded 9mm without the lube for a few years before figuring out how much elbow grease I could save with the lube when using this short throw.

Even if you load on a progressive, using presized cases will make the rest easy and you might get more feel if there's a problem in one of the other dies/stages.
    Last edited by gloob; 01-31-2020 at 06:45 PM.

The Challenger has an aluminum frame. Early models had just the threads for a die. The later models had the breech lock.
    The Classic cast has a cast iron frame. Not that it needs a cast iron frame, just customers wanted one.
    On the Rock Chucker I saw a few pics were a guy drilled a hole down through the ram to meet a hole he drilled in from the rear. This lets the spent primers fall down through the ram and out the back into a catch container. I thought that should be something RCBS should do to it before it comes out the door.
    Leo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast