RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi point 9mm

Hi point 9mm

Looking to purchase one as they are Any owners here with a review?.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Grand Master
    Not much of a review, but I bought a used one a little bit ago and it looked like it had been dragged behind a truck, hosed down and thrown under the truck seat. A much older model. Good bore though.
    Took it to the range and shot a few mags worth at our 100yd gong, never a hiccup and never missed the gong. From the group size, it looked to be about minute of clay pigeon at 100yds. Open sights and me not really trying for a tight group.

Boolit Master

I have a 9mm and 380.

It will need some love. Take it apart and polish the small pieces. The design of the trigger there isnt much you can do for it. But getting the powder coat off and polishing the metal of the contact points will help a good bit. The trigger pull sucks.

By golly is it accurate and reliable. It will eat anything pretty accurately. It's a blow back design and heavy so recoil is mild even with heavy loads. An odd quirk of mine is the gun will jam with a full mag so I leave two less rounds in it and never have a problem. Oddly it's the only 9mm i could never lead.

Customer service is amazing too. I broke a firing pin some how and they sent me a new one quickly for free.

I carry it fishing all the time and hiking all the time. Its reliable and I trust it. Plus it only cost me 150 bucks so if I drop it off the side of a mountain or to the bottom of the ocean ot won't hurt to much. I want their carbine also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Reliability and accuracy are the two most important things any handgun should have. The Hi point has both. You won't find very many naysayers on this forum about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

They have real good customer service.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ice&highlight=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

there is one drawback I found with my 40 Hi Point.
    it has a short abrupt chamber, much like every other economy minded semi-auto pistol I've inspected, which works fine for jacketed bullets, but some castboolits suffer (FTF), especially CB's with RN or RF style noses. Once I started casting/loading a boolit with TC style nose, my 40 Hi Point was much happier and ammo chambered more reliably. Chamfering the throat is another option.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    The slide is not for someone with weak hands. Try racking the slide on one before you buy it.

Thanks, only bad part I hear is the slide is hard to rack....me with weak hands.
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be the outlier here. The case of "you get what you pay for" is applicable to the Hi Point. I don't own one, but I sold them when I worked at my LGS, and have seen my share at the range. Quality control is spotty. Some will function reliably without a hiccup. Some will jam every 3rd round. Some are fussy about ammo and some are not. If you're looking for a truck gun/beater/plinker, then yes. If you're looking for a reliable carry gun that your life may depend on, then definitely not. But for the price, it's a fun gun.

I've owned a C9 for a few months and its had about 300 rds. through it so far. Not missed a lick. With the original mag it does not want to feed first round with full mag. I have to bump the back of slide to feed 1st rd. but, after that no problems. I bought a 10 rd. mag. and it works like a champ. I think its a great little gun.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I'm a fan.

I did have an issue for a short time with one mag. Compared it to a mag that worjed right and the mag feed lip geometry was off. 5 min with a needle nose pliers fixed it.

I think it got dropped full and landed on the lips, angles were noticeably different.

Since then not a single problem.

For what it is and costs it works well. Considering the cost of some of the higher end Sig's, or Les Baer customs it is not a bad deal IMO.
    Inexpensive, reliable, awesome customer service and priced so low anyone can afford one.

I teach seasoned women who have never shot a handgun before, and a lot of them buy a hi-point. I have fired the 9 and .380 and they will take any round. Even cheap steel stuff. They are like the ugly step child at a family reunion. Best of all of them.

ACC

Boolit Master

Only gun I have ever departed ways with. It was before my cast days but it wouldn't shoot Federal 9mm FMJ (plated?) for anything. It sprayed them tumbling towards the target. Shot great with Remington 9mm JHP, but my thumb engaged or partially engaged the safety with every shot. I probably could have trained around it, but why?
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 01-25-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a big fan. I have several of the pistols and carbines. All work without a hitch with any ammo I put into them. Not the most accurate for sure but as a range plinker or a truck gun you don't mind getting dinged and beat up they can't be beat especially for the price. As others have said, the customer service is second to none.

I probably could have trained around it, but why?

That's a kinda odd statement. I have to train on any new gun I purchase, it's part of the package unless your buying something like a 1911. All are a little different either with the controls, grip angle etc.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Never had it happen with any other gun I've shot. No reason to adopt a funky grip for a Hipoint unless it was all I had. It wasn't. Not bashing Hipoint, they usually work fine, just didn't fit my hand for whatever reason. I still have my 9mm carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'm a big fan. I have several of the pistols and carbines. All work without a hitch with any ammo I put into them. Not the most accurate for sure but as a range plinker or a truck gun you don't mind getting dinged and beat up they can't be beat especially for the price. As others have said, the customer service is second to none.

I probably could have trained around it, but why?

That's a kinda odd statement. I have to train on any new gun I purchase, it's part of the package unless your buying something like a 1911. All are a little different either with the controls, grip angle etc.

Boolit Master

I own 4 of their pistols and 4 of their carbines, Happy with them all. Im waiting on them to come out with a 10mm pistol.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Only gun I have ever departed ways with. It was before my cast days but it wouldn't shoot Federal 9mm FMJ (plated?) for anything. It sprayed them tumbling towards the target. Shot great with Remington 9mm JHP, but my thumb engaged or partially engaged the safety with every shot. I probably could have trained around it, but why?
    Mine keyholes with federal ammo. But cast at .358 or .359 shoots great.

Boolit Master
    ROCKRAT must have a huge gong at 100 yds never missed it

Boolit Master
    They run, and the company stands behind them. But with so many sub $200 pistols out there they no longer corner the market on the cheap guns.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I own 4 of their pistols and 4 of their carbines, Happy with them all. Im waiting on them to come out with a 10mm pistol.
    Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't done that already with the 10mm. I'm waiting on the new Hi-Point too. It was supposed to be out last year........
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast