RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Traditions 1858 Remington New Army .44 Cal.Steel Frame, 12" Oct. Barrel Buffalo

Traditions 1858 Remington New Army .44 Cal.Steel Frame, 12" Oct. Barrel Buffalo

I am thinking of using the Tradition 1858 12" Buffalo/Bison Cap & Ball Revolver to use for deer hunting next year I have been up in the air as to which model to buy the brass frame or the steel frame I chose the steel framed I have heard that if I shoot many max loads that the brasse will not hold up like the steel frame model can what do any of you fellas think of this.

The steel frame will definitely hold up longer under heavy loads than the brass frame but the brass frames are so much purttier.I have one of the Uberti Cattleman carbines but have never taken it hunting. Hmmmm
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Steel for sure....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

USMC 77, USRA 79

get the steel!!! function is always better then aesthetics....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    Remember that in order to take advantage of Virginia's muzzleloader season for deer the gun used must be at least 45 caliber AND a single shot weapon. A revolver is not permitted during the deer muzzleloader season.
    That Remington 1858 revolver will be legal during the regular firearms season.

While deer are far from bullet proof, that black powder gun has some limitation in terms of energy - so know your abilities.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Most have missed the very obvious here!!! Get one of each!

Aim Small, Hit small, and you will be eating lots of good venison. Have fun and enjoy it!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

A cap & ball revolver is not considered a muzzle loader by Texas either- they can be used during firearms season. I vote steel frame and close range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I bought a CVA 1858 Remington copy many years ago, gunmetal frame. I didn't have any reloading gear yet so popping off 50 rounds was always fun. I cast my own round ball, and conicals, all Lee molds. I started out using 30 grains of Pyrodex and seated to make sure there was no air gap. I didn't have a chronograph at the time and never seem to remember to bring it when I take the 1858 to the range.

I read where folks were using corn meal as filler in order to seat the ball pretty much flush with the cylinder face for better accuracy. While that did improve accuracy, it also had the benefit of increased velocity. I found that using 25 gr of Pyrodex and corn meal gave me pretty much the same velocity as the 30 gr without. As corn meal is inert, I never had to use grease over the ball and never had a chain fire either.

As far as power goes, the RB loads were somewhat comparable to 38 S&W for velocity and weight. However, when shooting objects like grading stakes and an old abandoned car, the 38 S&W would pierce a hole in the stake and the RB would shatter it into splinters. When I shot the car fender, an older real steel car, the 38 S&W poked a hole about boolit diameter. The soft round ball pushed the fender in an inch and the hole it punched was a 1/2" in diameter.

I never loaded the cylinder full of Pyrodex to where the RB was flush with the cylinder face, so I don't know what kind of velocity gain there might be. The 30 gr load seemed to leave what I thought to be un-burned powder in the bore, but I didn't see the same on white newsprint paper under the gun. I never shot over paper with the corn meal loads but did notice two things. One, the bore seemed much cleaner shot for shot, and two, it smelled like burned muffins when I touched it off.

The conical boolits are 450-200 1R, a 2 cavity and a single cavity hollow point. Although it says 450, the bases are 452 and size well enough for 45 ACP use when sized to 452. That's another story. When loaded with 30 gr of Pyrodex they seat pretty close to the cylinder face. When fired, they do quite well. I might be able to get 5 more grains, if seated flush. Again, those have never been checked over a chronograph. By comparison, the 45 Colt, loaded with 40 grains and fired from the 7 1/2" barrel, gave around 1000 FPS with a 250 grain boolit. Nothing to sneeze at. The 1847 Colt Walker was loaded with 70 or 75 grains of black powder, and was the 'most powerful handgun' until the 357 Mag in 1935, or so I have read.

Steel or brass? I have brass, my brother bought steel. I am happy with mine as is he. We are talking about black powder pistols, which are low pressure rounds that benefit from a longer barrel for a longer more complete burn. It just works. As far as 44 RB percussion pistols, it has been said that the California Grizzly was seriously depleted by percussion revolvers during the gold rush, the last being killed many years later in 1920. If you choose to hunt with your 1858, I would suggest at least a 200 grain conical. I fired one into a tree and it penetrated several inches, my 45 ACP only slightly deeper. Oh, and check for a youtube video on making paper cartridges with cigarette rolling papers. You taper the paper, push them in the cylinder, and seat. 12 paper cartridges fit in a throat lozenge tin quite well.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few ML pistols, but the only one I'd ever take hunting is the T/C Scout. You can wind them up to real power levels and take game ethically. In Maryland (the place I hang my hat - sadly) the pistol must discharge a minimum of 40 grains and be of at least (I think) .40 caliber. My T/C Patriot pistol in .45 cal is too light for me to use to hunt with. Maybe rabbits and woodchucks, but not deer.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A cap & ball revolver is not considered a muzzle loader by Texas either- they can be used during firearms season. I vote steel frame and close range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Ohio allows a certain number of handgun cartridge pistols for deer in gun season and no muzzleloader pistols at all for muzzleloader season.

Boolit Man
    I have a stainless 1858 with an 8" barrel. I have always wondered if it would harvest a white tail, but alas it is not legal in Indiana, where I hang my hat. To be legal, the pistol must have a barrel 12" long and be 50 caliber or larger...……