ADvertise hereWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading

Thread: Hull vise?

Boolit Bub

Hull vise?

Looking to either purchase or build a hull vise. What are you all using?

I have a BPI hull clamp and it works fine but so do the homemade wooden V blocks held by a cheap 4" clamp and they don't cost anything but a little time to make. Gp

Boolit Master
    Just a thought - I have found that with a sheet of sandpaper under the base of the hull , I can hold the hull easily with my fingers while roll crimping , but with a little imagination a small piece of wood with the proper sized hole drilled through and a split cut through one side could be used to squeeze a little pressure on the base of the hull .

Boolit Buddy
    I had a drill press vise and rubber vise jaws already in my shop so I used them and they work great. Not sure it would be worth purchasing the stuff over a hull vise if you don't already have the drill press vise but if you do its an option.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-D...4-3e7a9c0027d0

https://www.amazon.com/Yost-UP360-Un...4-3e7a9c0027d0

The round cut out in the pads fit a 12 gauge hull great.

Boolit Bub
    I've looked at the BPI hull vise, but seems a little high on the cost. I did find the same style clamp that they use for $2.00. Thinking of milling some blocks of UHMW for a hull holder and bend a piece of flat 1/8" stainless for a base. I'll report back once project is finished.

Boolit Grand Master

You might do a search of Petander's posts. he made a very simple plywood clamp. He cut a narrow strip of plywood, drilled a hole to suit the metal head on the hull at one end, slit from the other end (handle end) to the hole. Works like tongs but without a hinge, just squeeze to grip. Simple and effective.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

I like that one Longbow ! Simple cheap and easy !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Some years ago I got the BPI hull vise ,it works for me ,think it did not cost as much as it dose now when I got it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Just a thought - I have found that with a sheet of sandpaper under the base of the hull , I can hold the hull easily with my fingers while roll crimping , but with a little imagination a small piece of wood with the proper sized hole drilled through and a split cut through one side could be used to squeeze a little pressure on the base of the hull .
    I've done something similar for roll crimping on the drill press. Drill part way through a board and place a rubber washer in it. The rubber gives enough friction to make roll crimping easy.

Vendor Sponsor

This is what I have been using. I stole the idea from a guy who posted a Youtube Video here. Took approximately 30 minutes to make and works really well.

A tight 3/4" hole and then saw cut the slots.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100464930.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	255381  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com