WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Powder Drum Removal

Boolit Buddy

Powder Drum Removal

Is the powder drum/clean out screw / nipple removable on CVA cap lock rifles? If it is are they standard threads or left handed. Need to remove one and thought I would ask before messing something up.

In Remembrance
    The threads are standard right hand. Might I ask why you NEED to remove the drum?
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy
    Relining the barrel

Boolit Grand Master

It's not really made to be removed so if you remove it, it may get buggerd up.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    I think I got all my questions answered from a post in 2014. The photo in post number 16 is good info. Looks like I may not need to remove at all.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...VA-rifle/page2

Boolit Grand Master

You can NOT remove the drum on a CVA! They are installed and THEN bored for the powder channel. Unless you have the right tools you will not get another drum to fit just by turning it in. They are a PITA to work on. That is why the drum has NO wrench flats.

Boolit Man
    Removed my one out of a CVA Mountain rifle recently. Just put it in a vice and unscrewed with a pipe wrench (RH). The thread for the nipple was buggered. It was the drum with the screw that goes across the barrel inside and just screws into the off side of the rifling. Replace with the newer type from TOW and no issues, some filing of the drum to get it to line up with the hammer but pretty simple really.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Removed my one out of a CVA Mountain rifle recently. Just put it in a vice and unscrewed with a pipe wrench (RH). The thread for the nipple was buggered. It was the drum with the screw that goes across the barrel inside and just screws into the off side of the rifling. Replace with the newer type from TOW and no issues, some filing of the drum to get it to line up with the hammer but pretty simple really.
    So TOW does sell a replacement? Do you remember which you you got?

Boolit Man
    TOW Drum-CVA $6.99 . 12.5mm, 10-1.25mm, threaded 6-1mm nipple. Just checked they have them in stock. Its a short thread and screws into one side of the barrel like most do not righ across like the old originals. Mine has worked fine with loads up to 140gr powder charge (58 cal)

Boolit Buddy
    Thank You very much. Hope I don't need it though.

Boolit Grand Master

I removed mine years back and converted it into a flint lock.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    You can NOT remove the drum on a CVA! They are installed and THEN bored for the powder channel. Unless you have the right tools you will not get another drum to fit just by turning it in. They are a PITA to work on. That is why the drum has NO wrench flats.
    They come out easy!! I have done several - use a diesel spanner - its like a ring spanner with a slot in the end so they can slip over the injector pipe - leave the nipple in the drum and just fit the spanner over to turn it out - they come out clean and easy - if you gonna replace it make a small index mark on drum and barrel so the powder channel lines up right ---this is a simple easy deal with the appropriate tool !!! ...................................they are a metric thread

Boolit Buddy
    We put a pipe wrench to it. It broke flush with the barrel. After several drill then EZ-out the metal got thin enough to tap. Ran a correct size metric tap in and cleaned right up good as new.

Boolit Master
    I was thinking that you could use a socket that slides over the drum. Just drill a hole in it's side for a screw that will run into the nipple hole. Though I might need to pull the breach plug on a CVA mountain rifle I picked up which had a load still in it and was planning to drill a socket for a removal tool. Got the ball out with a puller instead.