Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Howa Mini 300 blackout

Boolit Master

Howa Mini 300 blackout

I recently purchased a Howa Mini 300 blackout barreled action and installed it into a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock. The inletting on the Boyd's Stock is a little lacking with incorrection height of the stock for the action screws. As it came, the bottom metal (plastic) aesthetics looked good, but when I bolt it all together, the magazine set too low. I have 1 box of Hornady SubX ammunition and the edge of the jacked would catch the bottom of the feed ramp and jam.

I first glass bedded the front receiver ring and a small portion of the barrel shank. Then I relieved stock material from the bottom metal intel for the BM and mag to sit higher. I glass bedded the BM into the stock with the magazine in place to get the correct height for the BM/Mag assembly. As it sits now, the magazine very lightly drags on the bottom surface of the bolt. The Howa mags are center feed and it feeds the NOE 311-247 boolits with the cup point (sharp edge and 0.200 meplat) very smoothly with absolutely no hiccups. I have cycled Lehigh Defense Controlled fracture bullets as well and they also feed smoothly.

This is by far the best feeding bolt action 300 BLK that I have shot. I have had a CZ 527 and also have a Rem 700 staggered box feed. Neither compare to the Howa for ease and smoothness of feeding the wider meplat boolits.

As far as accuracy, the verdict is still out. I have some load ladders ready to go, but haven't been able to shoot yet due to the rain and bad weather.

I wish that Howa had not used plastic for the BM and magazine, but it is functional. There are aftermarket suppliers of aluminum BM, but the Howa mags are proprietary and not exactly cheap.

Anyway, I was impressed with the ease of feeding. Having encountered problems before with other platforms, I just thought I'd share my experience so far with the little mini action bolt gun.

Brad

Banner Sponsor

A pic of the finished rifle would be great.
    I've been considering the CZ527 for my Grandson's first Deer Rifle, I hadn't even thought of the Howa. I'd be interested in hearing your results after you get some range time in.

Boolit Master

Brownells has the 20" threaded barreled action for $329 right now. A $160 Boyd's stock and your in business.

I'll post a pic a bit later when I get back to the shop.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OGDQduv.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	255518

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mVlxazP.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	255517

So, for around $450 +/- (used $30 off coupon at Brownells), I have a nice wood laminated stocked rifle. Not counting the scope base $50, and optic $150.

Just wish the BM was metal or aluminum. That is a $100-$120 upgrade.

The mag catch needs to be trimmed or you will drop the mag out of the mag well when you dont want to.

Anyway, I like it as much or more than my Ruger American rifle with the cheap, poly stock. There are complete rifles with poly stocks available also. I saw a 6.5 Grendel with sporter barrel for around $400. Just depends which route you are looking to go.

Brad
    Last edited by BK7saum; 01-27-2020 at 10:45 AM.

I like the Mini quite a lot but the plastic furniture has my enjoying my CZ527 more. Thanks for sharing BK7saum.

FYI:

2020 LSI catalog offering wood-stocked Minis:
    https://www.legacysports.com/wp-cont...alog_LORES.pdf

If you really can't suffer through the plastic DBM arrangement, a BDL-style hinged floorplate is available:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...3/m/5231055652

Potential group buy (for the 6.5 Grendel case at least):
    http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ed-Floorplate)

I to have a howa in 7.62x39. It is a great shooter with cast. It will keep them all in the black at 100 yards usually in the 9 ring. If I would work with it more I could do better but am happy with it. I have a redfield scope on it.