Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Stout slug load

Boolit Buddy

Stout slug load

I've been sitting around daydreaming about deer hunting next fall and may try loading rifled slugs (I have high powered rifles, but want to shoot my shotguns more). I found a load in Ballistic Products Slug Loading manual that sounds interesting as it involves an LBC sabot slug (slug weighs 7/8 ounce, including the sabot the total weight is one ounce) and a good sized charge of Longshot powder (50 grains). The end result is 11,000 psi and 2000 feet per second. I think I'll load just one...........

Boolit Master
    You don't mention the shotgun you plan to use. Also, rifled barrel or smoothbore? The remington 2-3/4" sluggers I use, are pretty stout at 1600 fps, and they do a good job if placed in the appropriate place.

gunauthor: Loading just one is a good idea. Give it a try. Anything traveling 2000fps out of a 12ga. is going to bite on both ends. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I shot that load. I even took two deer with them. The LBC sabot slug is so non-aerodynamic that any benefit is gone by 100 yards. They did shoot well though, even from a smooth bore.

A better start might be the slug from Slugs R Us. If you don't want 100+ yard capability, there are better options too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    I've been sitting around daydreaming about deer hunting next fall and may try loading rifled slugs (I have high powered rifles, but want to shoot my shotguns more). I found a load in Ballistic Products Slug Loading manual that sounds interesting as it involves an LBC sabot slug (slug weighs 7/8 ounce, including the sabot the total weight is one ounce) and a good sized charge of Longshot powder (50 grains). The end result is 11,000 psi and 2000 feet per second. I think I'll load just one...........
    I have the opposite problem, where I am is shotgun only. I need to drive too far to use my safe queen rifles on a big game hunt in NY.
    This is why I bought a rifled 12ga shotgun years ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    gunauthor: Loading just one is a good idea. Give it a try. Anything traveling 2000fps out of a 12ga. is going to bite on both ends. Gp
    I shoot the Hornady SST's 300gr 2,000fps in a bolt action Marlin 512 it's defiantly not something you want to take target shooting. My buddy & I shot his 700Rem 300 WinMag side by side and both agree the rifle has less felt recoil but not by much.

Boolit Mold
    I have heard of good results with the LBC sabot slug. I plan on buying some with my next BP order.

Banned
    Greetings, 50 gr Longshot is going to be a very loud bang and will kick like a mule, I would suggest loading 45 gr, 45.5, 46, 46.5, 47 . . . . and gradually come up 1/2 gr at a time till you know its far too much.
    Have fun shooting, other than paying the dentist for loose fillings. What is the exact weight in gr of just the .680 RB, pure lead or WW ?

Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Grand Master

The 50 grain load is obviously heavy, but not the end of the world. A 580 grain round ball with 36 grains of Bluedot is worse. In my USH, the LBC slug did 1950 fps, the slug itself is about 360 grains. It's only a little more recoil than a factory sabot slug, 300 grain at 2000 fps.

I did a YouTube video of this slug BPI sent me for a review. I loaded up to 60 grs of Longshot. Recoil was stout. My groups at 100 yards were awful. The sweet spot for this slug with Longshot is around 40-45 grs. That’s still pushing it in the 1700’s. I was approaching 2200 FPS with 60 grs.

Also, Red Dot and Green Dot performed really well at 100 yards shooting 3” groups.

I can post a link if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I spent almost 6 months working on sabot loads for my 20 gauge using various muzzle loader bullets, mostly Lee. I finally had to ignore all the suggestions and go back to basics. In a rifled shot gun barrel the overall diameter of the sabot has to match the groove diameter of the barrel, just like in a rifle. If the projectile the sabot is gripping is undersized then the sabot will not spin it. The sabot must firmly grip the projectile so that as the sabot goes down the barrel it spins the projectile. Once I re-learned this basic fundamental accuracy was achieved. The other issue with sabots is the strength of the base of the sabot. Too much pressure/acceleration will case the projectile to setback and damage the sabot base. Once this starts occurring accuracy goes out the window. You will not hit a Military SR-1 target at 30 yards. The BPI blue sabot load data is filled with loads that have high velocities but won't hit a target at 30 yards. The suggested pistol bullets are also too small in diameter. You need at least 512 - 514 diameter to get spin imparted to the projectile. This is out of a Remington 870 factory rifled slug barrel. Be careful of souped up load data on the web from guys shooting bolt actioned slug guns. Some of it will lock up an 870. Notice that very few of them ever post any groups, only chronograph readings. Start way low and shoot groups (3-5 shots) to judge how much recoil you can stand and see where accuracy goes south.

Bill

Boolit Master

You are right. So shoot these for $.50 a throw.
    https://www.furycustombullets.com/we.../shotgun-slugs
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill