Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 44-77 sharps?

benchf,

What diameter are you calling to big?
    There is an option you can do if the patched diameter is a little over bore diameter and that is you can push them through a Lee push through as long as they are not more than .003" oversized. I like to run mine through even if I patch then a couple thousands larger than I want. This does a couple things that are a benefit. The bases are folded under tight. The diameter is uniform.
    Or if the bullet is oversized a lot, treat it like a GG. Seat it deeper in the case.
    A groove diameter PP will shoot very well also, it just takes up more powder room if that is an issue for you.
    Or get a breach seating tool and breach seat those oversized bullets. The results will make you smile doing it this way.

Boolit Master

Don - I've seen you mention the Staples paper before. Is it the same thickness as the SC 55w?

BR - I bought a pad of Strathmore series 300 tracing paper (yellow cover) last week. I measured it with two Starrett mics, it comes in at .002", maybe a tad less. Perhaps they've changed the composition?

Lead Pot - patched with the Strathmore tracing paper, they are coming in at .4395" . My bore diameter is .4375". They are too tight to fit without undue effort. I have a .439" bullet sizer I may try. The BACO bullets are .432", I may try running them into a .431"sizer.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    ndnchf as near as I can tell it is the same as 55w. Thickness, texture, the whole deal.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Thanks Don. I'll take a mic with me. Hopefully its not wrapped up n plastic. I'd like to measure it if I can.

It is in plastic wrap.

The stuff I bought at Staples, it's been a few years back, is Staedler light weight tracing paper. 8lb. It was made in Canada, so if they still have any of the same stuff now is the question.

Boolit Master

Thanks Don. Staples is only a mile away. So its easy to check.

The stuff I have is that same brand, Staedler. It is .0015"-ish thick and it is about as thin as I can work with. I am noticing that as I work with it more it is getting a little easier, a little. It has worked pretty well the little bit I've shot it.

I long ago lost the label so I have no idea beyond that what it is or where it came from. I've got notes on that info but that would be looking for a note in a huge stack of notes.

By patching my .446" diameter .45 caliber bullets with it and running them thru my sizing die they come out at .450" diameter. That would be a little loose in my Hepburn, but should work well in other rifles.

I may have to experiment a little in warmer weather.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Jim I bought 2 rolls of it, opened one and used a little, then gave it to someone who was wanting to try patching. Still have the other roll, luckily I was able to find it in the pile of stuff, and other than the end being opened it's still intact.

Boolit Master

I searched the Staples web site - nope. All they have now is 25 and 100% rag Staedtler tracing paper. But none identified as light weight. I'll just have to be patient and wait for the Seth Cole to arrive. But I will try sizing down one of the .432" BACO bullets to .431" and see if that makes enough difference in the Strathmore patched diameter to fit the bore.

Those .432 bullets you should be able to wrap in 9 lb paper and drop into the chamber.

Boolit Master

The BACO 400gr bullets are actually .4323" give or take a tad. I wrapped them in all 4 papers I have. This included a few SC 55y and 55w that were sent to me. Here is the patched diameters I found, the best I can measure:

SC 55w: .4373"
    SC 55y: .4363"
    Canson 25lb tracing paper: .4383"
    Strathmore series 300 tracing paper: .4395"

My barrel's bore is .4375". The SC patched bullets will slip in, the others only if forced. If I size down a BACO bullet to .431", the Canson tracing paper may just work.

Boolit Master

So I sized a BACO bullet from .432" to 431", then wrapped it in the Canson tracing paper. Wrapped, the bullets are about .438". They will push into the bore with slight pressure. Seems this canson paper is about .0017- .0018". So I think this will work for now. But ultimately, it seems the Seth Cole 55w will be the best choice for this unsized billet.
    Last edited by ndnchf; 02-12-2021 at 06:23 PM.

The target will let you know what is working and what isn't.

Boolit Master

Yes indeed. I just need to be able to isolate operator error from load error. Cataracts make that a challenge

Yessir, I need to visit the eye doc again sometime this spring. Pretty sure I've got cataracts, as he mumbled something about might be starting on the last visit.
    Getting old is fun ain't it?

Our local Staples closed down last year. When I went in everything was on sale when I looked for ink and printer paper. I saw seven rolls of 7# 14"x 50 yards 55 Y and 4 of the Staedtler sketch 8# 12"X50 yards what they had left, I don't remember the sales price for sure but it was less than $5. a roll so I took what was left on the shelf. For me the white is usable but the yellow is to thin and a bear to work with when you unroll it. I used the yellow in my .40-65 and when I cleaned the rifle the gray streaks on the patch took a while to get the lead out.
    I cut some patches using it for the .44-77 I have some undersized bullets I like using for hunting that patches .002" under bore diameter so I triple wrapped those and rant them through a Lee die and they shot well doing this.

But putting a mike on the yellow and white the thickness varies where ever you check the thickness. It's not very uniform.

Two of my rifles have a .003" deep groove so the 55 Y paper will get used for those rifles.

Boolit Master

Still waiting on the Seth Cole 55y and 55w to arrive. The weather has added to the already common shipping delays....

Its too cold and icy to go shooting. Being cooped up at home I got thinking more about ways to better tighten the neck after the PP bullets are seated. It just needed to be a few thousandths tighter. I got thinking about the Lee universal expander dies. I already make my own expander plugs for them, and wondered if I could make a neck sizer bushing. So after taking some measurements and thinking about it over this morning's coffee and making a drawing, I went over to the lathe and made some chips.

After it was done and polished I ran 20 cartridges through it. They tightened up nicely. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but I didnt see them available anywhere, so I thought I'd give it a try. It turned out surprisingly well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210221_101703_copy_1046x788_copy_699x526.jpg   20210221_101740_copy_1046x1492_copy_699x997.jpg   20210221_100553_copy_1046x279_copy_699x186.jpg   20210221_100422_copy_1046x740_copy_699x494.jpg  

Good job!!
    How much of a taper did you put in?

lee push through sizing dies work well also if you don't have a lath.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast