MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Trouble with Browning 22LR ammunition.

Trouble with Browning 22LR ammunition.

I went to the range a couple of days ago with some of my 22lr handguns. Fortunately, I took several different varieties of ammo with me.
    I was having difficulty pushing some Browning 22LR ammo into the chambers on my S&W 17 and my S&W 34.
    Not so much on my 617. They were tight in the 617 but I didn't have to force them like I did with the other two revolvers.
    I figured it was just because the chambers were dirty since I had been shooting Thunderbolts in them but it turns out not to be the case.
    I thoroughly cleaned the chambers on all three revolvers tonight and those Browning 22lr cartridges still don't want to drop into the chambers.
    I got out my Ruger Mark II target and tried to work a few through the action. None would allow the chamber to close. Not even close.
    Similar but not as bad with my S&W 22A.

I pulled out my micrometer and found they are .001 larger in diameter than the rest of the 22LR ammo I have on hand including the match ammo.
    That certainly explains the problem getting them to chamber. I knew the chambers on the target guns were tighter but didn't expect that kind of problem.

The ones I got into the chambers on my revolvers shot well enough but were difficult to eject. Kind of like an over pressure round does sometimes. Again, I thought it might have been dirty chambers but now I don't think that was the case.

This ammo is the yellow and black bulk box they sold probably 4 years ago. The bullets have a black copper wash on the projectile. I picked them up when I needed to get some ammo but then never shot them until two days ago.
    I haven't tried them in any of my rifles yet.

Has anyone had a similar issue with Browning 22LR ammo?
    Has there been a recall that I missed?

Boolit Buddy
    I had same problem with my Model 17 and Winchester I think 325 rounds per box. I miked them and the were a bit larger in diameter then Federal and CCI. I think those Model 17's have tight chambers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I went to the range a couple of days ago with some of my 22lr handguns. Fortunately, I took several different varieties of ammo with me.
    I was having difficulty pushing some Browning 22LR ammo into the chambers on my S&W 17 and my S&W 34.
    Not so much on my 617. They were tight in the 617 but I didn't have to force them like I did with the other two revolvers.
    I figured it was just because the chambers were dirty since I had been shooting Thunderbolts in them but it turns out not to be the case.
    I thoroughly cleaned the chambers on all three revolvers tonight and those Browning 22lr cartridges still don't want to drop into the chambers.
    I got out my Ruger Mark II target and tried to work a few through the action. None would allow the chamber to close. Not even close.
    Similar but not as bad with my S&W 22A.

I pulled out my micrometer and found they are .001 larger in diameter than the rest of the 22LR ammo I have on hand including the match ammo.
    That certainly explains the problem getting them to chamber. I knew the chambers on the target guns were tighter but didn't expect that kind of problem.

The ones I got into the chambers on my revolvers shot well enough but were difficult to eject. Kind of like an over pressure round does sometimes. Again, I thought it might have been dirty chambers but now I don't think that was the case.

This ammo is the yellow and black bulk box they sold probably 4 years ago. The bullets have a black copper wash on the projectile. I picked them up when I needed to get some ammo but then never shot them until two days ago.
    I haven't tried them in any of my rifles yet.

Has anyone had a similar issue with Browning 22LR ammo?
    Has there been a recall that I missed?
    I would be curious to know the measurement of the diameter of the cases. Since I reload (and custom load from new primed brass) I do measure the outside diameter of the cases. I also have a drill block that is exactly .2244" that I use for a go-no-go gauge. I have yet to find a commercial cartridge that won't slip into and out of it. Most commercial ammo is .2235"-.2240" Some is up to .2242"
    There are also some instances where the bullet is VERY SLIGHTLY larger than the case. Requiring a bit of pressure to chamber. But the cases should not exceed .2244"

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I would be curious to know the measurement of the diameter of the cases. Since I reload (and custom load from new primed brass) I do measure the outside diameter of the cases. I also have a drill block that is exactly .2244" that I use for a go-no-go gauge. I have yet to find a commercial cartridge that won't slip into and out of it. Most commercial ammo is .2235"-.2240" Some is up to .2242"
    There are also some instances where the bullet is VERY SLIGHTLY larger than the case. Requiring a bit of pressure to chamber. But the cases should not exceed .2244"
    I don't trust my micrometer to give accurate readings with boolits that small. It is old and had not been well cared for when I got it. It does fine when working with diameters of .350 and larger.
    That said, the readings I was getting on the sides of the boolit were .224-.2245. All my other ammo was .2235-.224.
    Sorry. I didn't measure the cases. The jamming seemed to be at the nose. Perhaps I should check that.

I went down and checked. Turns out the cases measure .224 right behind the boolit. They measure .2255-.226 right in front of the rim.
    I think I found the problem. Oversized brass.

I mistakenly thought the nose of the bullet was jamming near the front of the chamber when it was the last quarter inch of the brass in front of the rim I should have been looking at.
    Thank you immensely for mentioning that.
    Last edited by tazman; 01-22-2020 at 10:01 PM.

I bought some a few years ago and did a thread on it. The worst out of spec .22 ammo I’ve ever encountered. It would not chamber without force in any of my .22s. It even jammed my Nylon 66!
    I threw the unused rounds away, disgusted. Decades ago I bought some Russian steel case .22 ammo that I thought was bad- but it was Ely grade compared to the Browning stuff......

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Model 34 I bought when I turned 21 (about 41 years ago). It too is particular about ammo-tight chambers on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I would call Browning about it and see what they say. May get some new ammo out of the deal.

Boolit Master

I remember shooting a 100 pack when it first came out a few years just to try it. While I don't recall any chambering issues, its accuracy was nothing stellar, so I never bought any more

Boolit Master

I bought a bulk box awhile ago. Never again. Had a lot of duds with it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    They had/have a rebate on them. Glad I did not buy any....cheap junk is still junk

Thanks for posting.
    Don Verna

Yep same experience for me though I thought accuracy was fine for plinking. In single shots they worked ok.

This past fall my bro bought Bulk Browning 22 ammo at Cabelas. We were shooting several rifles and handguns and the Brn ammo was terrible in S&W revolvers, Ruger auto pistols and several rifles including 10/22s. It was dirty, inaccurate and high percentage of duds and misfires. About half the duds would fire on second strike if repositioned. It’s a shame Browning would put their name on junk ammo.

I took the Browning ammo to the range with me today and shot some of it in my old Remington(510, 511, 512) rifles. It worked fine in those old guns.
    I can't say if the chambers are a bit worn or oversize, or if the bolt just made it easier to push the cartridge into the chamber.
    In either case. It shot fine in those rifles. Accuracy about what you would expect for bulk ammo.

I'm glad it's getting shot up. If they are still making it, I hope they have straightened the dimensions out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk