Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Help, info on SAECO sizer please

Boolit Master

Help, info on SAECO sizer please

I saw this used SAECO sizer in a LGS. I didn't say anything yet, thought I'd pick your collective brains. I have no experience with SAECO sizers, but I know they're highly regarded.

It seems to me that several parts are missing, and replacements cobbed together from aluminum stock. Is that correct? If that's the case, am I correct that the price on the tag is too much? I think $165 might be fair for a used 100% complete one. But not one with home made parts, which of course I realize might be totally functional.

What might a reasonable offer be for me to make? Or is that price in line?

Boolit Master

That looks to be in wonderful shape for an original Carpinteria SAECO. I've had one for nearly 50 years and it looks just like the one you picture. I don't see any aluminum parts, either, just plated steel OEM ones. This one also has a die and top punch, which, together, add something like $40 to the value.

Boolit Master
    Saeco lube sizer's are one of the best out there surpassed only by the Star.

I have Three sizer's Two Star's and a Saeco, the Saeco is used for odd shaped bullets such as the Lyman 429303.

The Saeco has threaded in top punch's which align's perfectly with the sizing die other,
    lube sizer's put the top punch in a hole then tighten a set screw to hold it in place which require's some fiddling to avoid off center sizing.

Unless something is bent on the Saeco this is not a problem, so purchase with confidence if it looks straight.

HM

Boolit Master

The main handle, linkage connecting it to the base on the left, and the handle for advancing the lube don't look like aluminum stock to anyone else?? In person they looked even more so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    The main handle, linkage connecting it to the base on the left, and the handle for advancing the lube don't look like aluminum stock to anyone else?? In person they looked even more so.
    A magnet will tell you PDQ.

Boolit Master
    Had one for a while, got it used with die and top punch for $40 IIRC, but it was in a lot rougher shape and needed serious TLC. Saeco had the parts and after a thorough cleaning and rebuild it worked beautifully, but the ergonomics of the side handle was not compatible with my arthritic wrist. Passed it on but were it not for the wrist issue would have kept it

Boolit Master

Had two Saecos L/S as well as two lyman L/S all gone 40 years ago replaced by two Star/ magnma eng L/S and never looked back !

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the clone of the Saeco, made (or at least sold) by Herters. Operation is the same as a Lyman 450, except for the sideways handle positioning. I must say I don't like that feature, and acquiring dies can be a pain. I make my own sizing dies for all my sizers, Lyman, Star, and Saeco so it's not a big problem for me. I bought mine at a gun show with 3 sizing dies and paid $30. I can't say for sure if yours has aluminum parts, but as said, a magnet will tell.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore