MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New rifle barrel run in

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    There is no 2 guns that are the same though. Youd have to have a large sample size to smooth out the data and see any valid result. But nobody really goes to the gun store and says ill take 30 savage axis please
    You could take 100 top level shooters, half who "break in" their barrels, half who don't. You would end up with 100 top level shooters with no correlation to some mystical cleaning break in. If your barrel is rough, a bore brush won't do anything. My experience is jacketed bullets won't do anything. Maybe thousands of round will smooth a barrel. If you want to smooth your barrel in a matter of hours or days, the only effective option is lapping.

Banned

Usually they will clean up better if you do do a break in. The leade is what needs the break in. If it has a horrible chambering job like most factory guns have it will help.

Boolit Master

And I will dissent that you are better to lap or polish then try to shoot it in , but in the end it does put more wear down the barrel , if you are shooting it before hunting season and only after that during season at game , well polish or shoot it in , I remember a benchrest shooter who made bullets also telling me that when they bought a batch of barrels , that no matter what only a small percentage would ever shoot to what he wanted , I have had a few rifles that needed bore polished , pistols do need some shooting to cycle better , but it is all wear in the end, As to the original question if it is a cast shooter then pass on the jacketed and shoot cast , and let your barrel tell you , I myself do not shoot one clean and shoot two and clean that in itself puts wear on the barrel , shoot a pair see what they show on the target , but the mind of man believes what it will , even if it has been proven or proven false you will have some who will believe forever and pass their wisdom on .

Boolit Buddy
    Well it looks like it will be jacketed factory ammo whether I like it or not, at least to start. I just figured out Lee dies no longer have a roll crimp so I've got 50 rounds sat here with the necks still flared! I've had a little tantrum and I'm going to bed! Range day is tomorrow so no hope of sorting it before then...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381 View Post
    Well it looks like it will be jacketed factory ammo whether I like it or not, at least to start. I just figured out Lee dies no longer have a roll crimp so I've got 50 rounds sat here with the necks still flared! I've had a little tantrum and I'm going to bed! Range day is tomorrow so no hope of sorting it before then...
    If you mean the seating die, I don't know that they ever had a crimp feature. That's why I like them so much. They still do have a collet crimp die with any rifle die set though. If yours is missing, you should call Lee. A quick and dirty solution I've done before is to run them into the sizing die with the decapping rod removed. I won't pretend it's perfect, but if you are careful, it will remove the flare with no other problems.

Boolit Master
    If they chamber and load use them single shot style.
    You may find they will be just wonderfull.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12