MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Blumer Martini hunting rifle

Boolit Man

Blumer Martini hunting rifle

Bought just now this beauty in 10,3x60R caliber (identical to the 450/400 british) still today mandatory for hunting in Grigioni state of Switzerland. While I'm waiting for the courier, I try to find some infos about loading mild ammos for fun at the range. Cases are not a problem cause RWS made them at fair price (2$ each) bullet can be. I'll slug the throat but i'll find something between .413-416 and at the present I have a .433 Accurate mold 330 grs. for Vetterlis. Could this bullet sized down with no harm to lube grooves? Maybe anyone could suggest some reloading tips or data ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_2_8_2_7_2827-BLUMER-GLADUS.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	253718

Name:	p_2_8_2_5_2825-BLUMER-GLADUS.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	253719

Name:	p_2_8_3_0_2830-BLUMER-GLADUS.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	253720

Boolit Master

Nice looking firearm you have there.

Boolit Master
    You could try sizing down with the bullet lubed which is the best way to keep lube grooves.
    I size a about 10 thou fine for one rifle I have but 20 thou may not enter a sizer thou.
    Worth a try.
    Nice looking gun
    Too bad it is stocked for the wrong shoulder.

That is the only cartridge that you can hunt with in Grigioni- correct? I remember Holt Bodison writing about that and I seem to remember that Hornady made ammo for export and bullets/ cases for hand loading. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

What BarraBruce said. Lube the boolit first making sure each lube groove is filled. Lube does not compress well, so will maintain the lube grooves when you size more aggressively. You might want to consider doing this in two or more steps. It should work, your boolit may be lengthened a bit.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful rifle! Might try the swaged down bullets sizing them as mentioned but with a rifle like that I'd get a mould casting a bullet that fits.....to me that rifle deserves it and the cost would be worth it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Yes it is. The only caliber admitted in Grigioni.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Beautiful rifle! Might try the swaged down bullets sizing them as mentioned but with a rifle like that I'd get a mould casting a bullet that fits.....to me that rifle deserves it and the cost would be worth it.
    You are right, but a custom mold will cost about 100$ plus shipping while I paid 400$ for the gun itself. Anyway I'll decide after a good chamber casting.

Banned

And I thought we had some strange laws regarding what was legal to hunt with here.

That is a gorgeous rifle and I'll second what Larry said, try to find a proper mold. Seems like a mold for our .41 Magnum would be what you need? Plenty of them out there which would make great plinkers for the range and even good hunting bullets for deer sized game.

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago when looking for a mold for my 10.5x47R I went to Mountain Molds and designed my own. I don't know if he ships internationally but it might be an option if he does.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Years ago when looking for a mold for my 10.5x47R I went to Mountain Molds and designed my own. I don't know if he ships internationally but it might be an option if he does.
    I've already bought a dedicate Vetterli mold from Accurate Molds and I've found it very well made at the right price. I'll make a comparison between.

Boolit Man
    Following suggestions I bought an RCBS .416-350-FN mold. In the meanwhile it arrives I made some .406 hollow base Pritchett to be paper patched.

Accurate Bullet Moulds should have a mold for that rifle. You might try them.

Maybe you could find a mold by backtracking a bit and talking to a former owner or two (unless deceased!).

Quote Originally Posted by artu44 View Post
    You are right, but a custom mold will cost about 100$ plus shipping while I paid 400$ for the gun itself. Anyway I'll decide after a good chamber casting.
    You get the mould and when you tire of it, I'll give you the $500 for the mould and rifle.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

The best tip I can think of is...… it needs to come visit at my house for an extended stay.
    Mighty nice looking rifle, let us know how it shoots.