Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt issue

Boolit Bub

RCBS Pro Melt issue

I’ve been fighting with flow using my new to me RCBS Pro Melt. The flow will dump lead in one pour, drip lead the next, then pour correctly. No matter how I adjust it just will not pour consistently. Have been fighting this issue with each session.

Last night I sat down again to work with this pot. I have searched on line for solutions and tried them all. Nothing helped. Discouraged, I set an I set an mold under the spout and began to empty the pot. Upon opening the valve I noticed the “split lug” that the handle attaches to on the left side is loose. So loose that I can lift it up and down close to an eighth of an inch. This I believe is my problem causing the inconsistent flow rates.

It was late and I only spent a short time inspecting the “lug” after cleaning up. From what I can tell I’ll have to take the unit apart in order to tighten it up. I assume there is a nut encased in the unit that secures this “lug”. Do I need to drill out the rivets to get it apart? Is there a schematic for these available? Any advise, tips or tricks to getting this done?

Hope I’ve explained the issue properly. Thanks for any help!

Rob

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have had the same thing happen to me. That fulcrum bolt got loose and am glad to have had 2 or 3 ingot molds handy. After emptying the pot and an awkward disassemble
    with thick gloves on got everything tightened back up and the leak stopped.

Boolit Master

Pretty sure that attachment point just screws into the pot. So take out the tiny screw that that handle is attached with, tighten up the fulcrum and put the tiny screw back in.

Boolit Master
    I haven't had to remove the pot liner to work on the fill lever pivot.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all. Doesn’t sound like I’ll have to take anything apart if it’s just threaded into the pot. I’ll look at it again tonight or tomorrow night. At work now. Was in a rush to get things cleaned up last night and was frustrated. Didn’t look close enough to the assembly, just immediately assumed the worst. Still stewing about it this morning when I got up.

I’m really hoping my problem lies here regarding the pouring issues. A simple fix would be great!

Rob

Boolit Master
    I would suggest a through cleaning of the pot, you may be surprised at the difference. You likely have an alloy build up where the down rod goes into the spout, not allowing the rod to seat properly. The buildup may not be apparent as it may be the same color as the pot metal, but once clean you will see a well defined hole.

I use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar & 3% household hydrogen peroxide for a cleaning solution as it will dissolve lead. A warm pot makes it work faster. A welding torch cleaner (a metal case with an assortment of stainless wires of different sizes) will be an asset for this project. Take care and use rubber gloves and eye protection as the solution will have dissolved lead and be toxic.

Boolit Master
    There is an Allen head bolt down inside the split lug. If you don't see it after removing the handle use a pick to remove the lead covering it.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    I was under the impression that paracetic acid is unstable. Do you actually mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in the same container? Just asking because I've never tried it. I'm all for dissolving lead residue though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    I was under the impression that paracetic acid is unstable. Do you actually mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in the same container? Just asking because I've never tried it. I'm all for dissolving lead residue though.
    Yes, 50/50 mix.

Boolit Buddy
    I think this is what your looking for

https://www.rcbs.com/on/demandware.s...structions.pdf

hope it helps

John J

Boolit Master

FWIW: I converted mine to pull down to pour. Had to add a spring to top end of lever but much easier for my twice-surgeried (is there such a word?) shoulder.

Don't drip and makes the casting process much easier, at least for me
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Dragonheart! Really hot water removes scale well but this sounds even better! I'll give it a try.

Boolit Master
    When the lead reacts with the acetic acid and peroxide mixture it will produce lead acetate. Lead acetate is highly toxic. Make sure you have a good and safe way to dispose of it properly.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy
    What do you think about putting it into a coffee can and letting the liquid component evaporate? When the solids build up sufficiently to justify a trip to the County hazardous waste facility I could offer it to them.

Boolit Master
    Can you call the hazardous waste folks and see if they would take the liquid lead acetate so you wouldn't have an open can of it sitting around? They, being chemists of a sort, might know of something you could add to the liquid that would precipitate the lead out so it wouldn't be as hazardous.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.