Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: FR8 Magazine spring options

FR8 Magazine spring options

So, I just got an FR8, specifically for shooting my cast 308 rounds, and it is definitely my favorite bolt-action rifle, so far. But, I suspect that I need a new magazine spring. The reason being, that the first round or two, tends to have a feeding problem; the cartridge will move forward a bit, with the forward half or so starting its' journey up-and-out of the magazine, into the chamber. However, the case head will slip below my bolt, allowing same to slide over the cartridge, until the case is wedged between the bolt, and the chamber mouth. Numrich lists a magazine spring for seven bucks, but it is sold out. Might any other Mauser magazine springs be made to work?

Does it feed factory ammo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

That is also a symptom the spring is in backwards and/or upside down.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

That does sound like a weak spring, try stretching it. I would think about any 98 mag spring would work, your FR8 was developed from the M43. You might check to see that the cartridge is starting up under the extractor, it should not come out from under the lip once on it's way out of the magazine. The mag spring has the top leaf narrowed to slip into the bottom of the follower, the bottom leaf is full width and slips into the floor plate.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

I would think any Mauser magazine spring would work.
    I'll tell you, the FR8 is also one of my favorites, and for a short barreled carbine, it is very accurate. With cast or j-word bullets.
    It will also kill deer and hogs very well.

Forgot to check back, whoops. The issue exists with all ammo, though it seems to occur less frequently, with my South Korean surplus. I picked up a supposedly new-old-stock spring, at a gunshow last weekend; I'm going to see if it fits tonight. Of course, I'll check to see if the original was installed properly; thanks for that tip, I hadn't thought about it.
    oconeedan - I only wish we did have some pigs to eradicate around here, this thing would be perfect.