MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry’s new side gate pistol calibers

I like the large loop takedown Alaskan Marlin rifles but in a big bore rifle caliber which is about as tactical as I want in my lever gun. I like my stock Marlin or uberti rifles a lot but a lever gun is not tacticool. A pcc, sbr or ar pistol is a much better choice, imo.

Boolit Buddy
    It's got nice lines, but it would look far better with decent wood and losing the tacticool gimmicks. It's kinda strange too, that it has the loading gate, yet they kept the tube loading method as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    .44 Mag would make a good heavy cast boolit pig gun.
    How heavy are these rifles? I always think of Winchester 94's as being a really lightweight and handy woods gun. And the ones I have are exactly that!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    How heavy are these rifles? I always think of Winchester 94's as being a really lightweight and handy woods gun. And the ones I have are exactly that!
    It is listed at 7.3 pounds.

Boolit Master
    Ugly or not, I kinda like the look of it compared to the Mossberg and can see one in 45LC in my future. Hopefully Skinner has a peep sight to fit with that FO front sight.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    All are short barrels with a tube ... max of 7 rounds. To each their own though
    Regards
    John

If the price is right i'd buy one,but i'd rather have traditional looking one with the side gate.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    Those are not my taste in a levergun. Blue steel and walnut is what I like.

Boolit Man
    WOW.FINALLY, King's patent loading gate revisited ! It could be time to find a buyer for that fussy Marlin 94 in .44 Magnum ( which likes a cast bullet diameter of 0.433, and a weight of NO MORE than 450 grains ) IF Henry got the bore diameter right ( trust me, the faster twist is going to be a positive boon for hunting, for those who insist on heavier bullets ), something around 0.428" say. Buying oversize gas checked boolits is expensive compared to a readily available standard cast size , even if wood furniture is more to my taste, having interchangeable ammo between handgun and rifle WAS the whole idea, IMHO.

Boolit Master

Not for me, I want wood and blued metal too. Guess it's cause I'm old. 20 twist is attractive. Gun isn't

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm old, like more "traditional" models. I have several Henry lever guns and can't say enough good about the ones I have and over the years, I have owned Winchesters, Marlins, etc. as well. That said . . . .

When I first looked at this one, my first thought was "oh no!". But then I got to thinking and looking at it and maybe I'm getting a mite more open minded in my old age - but I think that Henry had a good idea on this one. I'm really not into "tactical looks", but I got to thinking about hunting as a kid in Michigan on the farm. I used everything form original muzzle loaders to vintage Wimnchesters, Remingtons - you old guys know what I'm talking about. REAL gus with beautiful walnut stocks and deep blue finishes, etc. I can also remember hunting in all kinds of weather - snow, rain, sleet, dusty - and what a pain it was to clean the guns up before they went into the gun case. I don't hunt anymore but I still worry about my lever guns - whether vintage or the Henrys as far as damaging the nice stocks, etc. I think there is a real place for something like Henry has comet with - I dislike symmetric stocks, for those who hunt in various weather conditions. I can certainly see how these would be nice for a rifle that was going to get hard use - a good knock around rifle that you wouldn't be worrying about a few dents,. knicks, etc.

I never worried about my Henry's with loading tubes but I think they made the right decision to go with loading gates - a good business / marketing decision.

Boolit Grand Master

If it really bothers you, here are wood stocks right from Henry. https://henrypride.com/collections/r...30945008386108

H012M

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12