Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Glass for belding & mull powder measures

Boolit Buddy

Glass for belding & mull powder measures

Broke my glass a week ago. After trying to cut my own I ran out of my wifes scrap picture frame glass. Went to local glass shop and had 4 cut. I'm keeping one as a spare. The other two are for sale. They cost me $5 each. If anybody wants one I'd sell them for $5 each shipped.

Thanks,,,,Floyd

Boolit Master
    I just came back from my local hardware store with four or I would have jumped on yours. While there I looked for and found a lighter spring that seems to make operation much easier, will have to try it out.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    I'll take both your spares, saves me making a fool of myself trying to cut them for the two I need glass for. Thanks. PM follows
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Buddy
    Moose,

I installed a lighter spring in mine also. Works much better. My opinion is it only needs a spring strong enough to return back to the home position. Took some experimenting. I believe I ended up with two springs put end to end over the little rod. One was a little stiffer than the other one. The original spring is way to strong. I would have that thing screwed to the table so tight I was afraid I would break something and still pull it loose after a few drops. Now it works fine.

Boolit Master
    I found that dry graphite lube eased things tremendously, making the original spring friendlier. Lube: scribbling on the bearing surfaces with a #2 pencil is sufficient.

Boolit Bub
    I'm going to have to try that spring thing. I have one and was debating selling it since I couldn't get it to stay put and use it, but it's a neat little unit to have around.

Boolit Buddy
    Catch,

Yes they are neat little things. Almost everything I have on my bench is about my age or older. In other words vintage. I like fixing this old stuff up and in almost all cases it works as well as or better than the new stuff. I use my B&M for working up loads so I don't have to readjust my dedicated measures which are set to the cartridges I shoot the most. The B&M is fast and easy to make changes. I couldn't find a spring of the right length so I just started using what I had laying around and what I could find at work until I was happy with the resistance. That's how I ended up using two springs.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by floydboy View Post
    Catch,

Yes they are neat little things. Almost everything I have on my bench is about my age or older. In other words vintage. I like fixing this old stuff up and in almost all cases it works as well as or better than the new stuff. I use my B&M for working up loads so I don't have to readjust my dedicated measures which are set to the cartridges I shoot the most. The B&M is fast and easy to make changes. I couldn't find a spring of the right length so I just started using what I had laying around and what I could find at work until I was happy with the resistance. That's how I ended up using two springs.
    You've convinced me to try to tweak it and give it another shot. I'll have to get the smaller tube, I have the bigger one. I've been thinking it'd be a good alternative for my BP pistol vs the flask for when I'm at the house. Allow me to tweak those loads a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding the drop tube. I made several out of 45-70 cases. Some aren't quit as easy to adjust as factory tubes but a couple came out real good. I like to have some dedicated tubes so don't have to fiddle with adjusting all the time. I drilled out the primer pocket and threaded it to accept some small threaded rod I had laying around. I believe a 38 special case fit inside the 45-70 case perfectly. I drilled and threaded the primer pocket of the 38 case to take the other end of the rod. Cut off the head of the case and threaded it on the rod with some JB weld then staked it on before the JB weld dried. By running the screw in and out of the 45-70 case the head of the 38 case moves in and out to adjust the amount of powder the case will except. Any large case that will fit in the B&M receptacle fairly closely can be used. You can make a bunch of these for nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    "closed"