Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: NOE 314-129, great bullet!

Boolit Master

NOE 314-129, great bullet!

This weekend my daughter and I got to spend some quality time with the brass 4C NOE 314-129 the George gifted us.

Started a weekend ago and could not get a cull rate that was not lower than a keeper rate and the keepers were not perfect. This had to change. Spoke to a friend here about what may be going wrong... he said "run it hot, at least 750"! We tried 750 and things got much better, but still not great. Ran it up to 760 and things got much better, now I can cull for perfect bullets and still have a slightly less than 10% cull rate. She and I made somewhere between 750 and 800 bullets, gas checked them and PC'ed and sized them. The Sages .015 aluminum checks are the best fit of the choices I have for this bullet.

We sized some at .3135 for the AK and some at .310 for the AR in 300 ACC. We only got time to test fire the AK, but with 15 and 15.5 grains of 2400 it was minute of tie plate at 100 yards standing for both of us. I suspect that the load for the 300 ACC will be in the range of 13.7 to 14.3 grains of 2400, hope to test them next weekend. It has been so cold that I have only put a few on paper, not my idea of fun when it is 16F and 15 mph winds. It was to overcast for my chrono to work, so no speed data yet.

As a side note... we use Smokes powders. The pinkish one is an even mix of white and wine red, best coating powder I have! Wine red is difficult at best and so is signal blue. White seems to help any color work better for us.

I suspect that this bullet will see duty in 7.62x39, 300 ACC, 30/06 and 303 Brit.

We also have the NOE 311-152-SP-L1 and it performs very well in the 300 ACC, but is a little heavier than I want to use all the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49419517481_f8e13bcb85_c.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	255150
    Last edited by mattw; 01-21-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Nice work. Glad you found what temp the mold likes.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post

As a side note... we use Smokes powders. The pinkish one is an even mix of white and wine red, best coating powder I have! Wine red is difficult at best and so is signal blue. White seems to help any color work better for us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49419517481_f8e13bcb85_c.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	255150
    Are you mixing equal parts of the red/blue with the white to get satisfactory coating? I have some powder that when used by itself is blotchy. It works but looks off. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Yes, 1 part white and 1 part wine red, same for white and signal blue.