Titan ReloadingPBcastcoRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Cast Boolit Mold for the .22 Hornet

Boolit Bub

Cast Boolit Mold for the .22 Hornet

Hi:

What is a good Mold for the .22 Hornet.

I have been told to stick with a 45-50 grain boolit.
    This the first time I have loaded for the .22 Hornet.
    I will be shooting it in a 340 Savage.

Thanks,

Terrytm

Boolit Master
    There is a group buy going on right now for a flat nose with a hollow point option in the Active Group Buy section. You could also cruise Ebay for a used Lyman, they made several iterations all very common.

Banned

I like the NOE 45 grain WFN design for squirrels. Mine is all plain based.

I also have one of the Lee Bator molds before they changed to a copy of the RCBS design. It's a good shooter as well. I've never tried to make either one a full power Hornet, I load them as light, small game loads for 25-40 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems there are hornets of differing twist rates. My son has one of the late model Win 1885 Low Wall 22 Hornets with teh 1-16 twist that won't stabilize the 40 gr V-Max or BT, but does well with the 40 or 45 semi-pointed softpoints because they're shorter. I've threatened to get a mold for this one, just haven't done it yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    There is a group buy going on right now for a flat nose with a hollow point option in the Active Group Buy section. You could also cruise Ebay for a used Lyman, they made several iterations all very common.
    How do I access the group buy section?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That or grab a Lee 22 Bator mold, cast using a hard alloy, and size it to .225".

Boolit Master

I 've been trying g to get NOE to make another run of the 46 WFN in a 2 PB and 2 GC as I tried to buy o e during g their last sale and there are some problems with the new Web site. Once he gets the bugs exterminated, I told AL I'd contact him aga in to iron out the details for the mold re-run. I'm also signed up for the group buy. Try to stick to the lighter 37-39 gr Lyman mold from what I've heard/seen.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    cwtebay - It's here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    That or grab a Lee 22 Bator mold, cast using a hard alloy, and size it to .225".
    This is my suggestion as well.

But I shoot soft and hard just as well but I don’t push the soft ones very hard. I’m also powder coating. My 223’s don’t love this bullet. But my hornet and bee surely do!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Try to get your hands on a Lyman 225438.....dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    cwtebay - It's here
    Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I have had some pretty good results with the NOE 225-39-FN mould. This is 10 shots.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornet.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	255170

Boolit Grand Master

I've been shooting cast bullets in numerous 22 Hornets for 45+ years. The problem with the 22 Hornet and cast is the different twists used over the years. I've shot cast in 12, 14 and 16" twist barrels. The one cast bullet that has performed exceptionally well a subsonic up through 2400+ fps is the Lyman 225438 as dale2242 mentioned. In the 12 and 14' twist Hornets the 225415 and 225462 proved excellent as should the 55 gr cast bullets. The Lyman 225107 (NOE 225-35-FN) works well in 16" twist Hornets especially at velocities from 1050 - 1600 fps but I did have some feed problems with the short FN bullet in some magazine fed Savages. Your M340 Savage should have a 16" twist and should feed the 225438 just fine though. Accuracy will depend, of course, on the quality of you casting and reloading. I used Bullseye for 22LR level loads, Unique for Hyper 22LR loads and 5744, 2400 for 22 Mag level loads and 4227 for top end original Hornet level loads (2400 +/- fps). SP primers most often give the best accuracy also.

An additional tip is to get a NS die and use it. The thin fragile necks of the Hornet case will many times not expand evenly over the expander button of regular FL sizers when partial sizing. The result is most often crooked necks which are detrimental to accuracy with cast bullets. The Lee Collet sizer and the Redding Bushing die are my suggestions. Also once fire formed only sizing the neck to the depth of the seated bullet is a boon to accuracy with the Hornet. I suggest the use of a Lyman M die with cast and jacketed bullets. Getting the bullets started into the necks before seating will also prevent crumpling the necks. The 22 Hornet is a great little cartridge far more effect than given credit for.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the info.

Terytm

Boolit Master

In a Hornet, start with a 225438 and then branch out. Never can tell what twist you have until you measure. I load the 225438HP over light loads of Unique for a back yard starling getter and it does well. Velocity is about like a .22 WMR and the noise is not as great as the bigger .22 "boomers". Great little round./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....