Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Reforming factory second bullets

Boolit Bub

Reforming factory second bullets

So I bought a bunch of factory second bullets. Most of them were just fine. Some were missing the plastic tips, but still usable. Some had the tips in backwards.
    So my question is about that last group. Would it be possible to cut the whole plast tip off, then reform the hollow point tip to make a slightly lighter bullet. Otherwise I can just clip the tip off and melt the lead out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus
    I would just cut the tip to make a flat point and shoot them. Might work great.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, I was probably over thinking the situation. It's not like it's going to really matter at 100 yards anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have removed the tip on 40 gr Vmax bullets used in my CZ 527 Hornet, as they were too long to load in the magazine. A pair of needle nose pliers and out they come. I can see no difference out of my Hornet doing this.

I even took a pair of finger-nail clippers and nipped off the tips, then gently filed them smooth with a jewelers file. Again, they shoot perfect.

The tips are so light, the weight difference is negligible on these .224" bullets.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub

We’re you planning on just making them hollow points? Or bumping them up in dia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Respectfully

Boolit Man
    Reviving this thread as related to my question looking for an answer. Have become unsatisfied with pulled bullets due to inconsistent roundness, diameter, shape and even length. Seems like some are pulled for problems with issues of projectiles and the pulling process seems to make these even worse. Anyone have much experience swaging out of spec pulls into nice consistent useable bullets that are round, straight, same diameter and length? Have had some luck as occasionally find some pulls that are close to matching swage die I have and turned out fine near match quality bullets from culls normally would have scrapped or melted cores out for casting pot.

Except for specialty military projectiles like the new M855A1 and M80A1 along with incendiary AP had come close t look giving up on pulls as seem to be getting worse quality as time goes on. Had a 5,000 count order of 30 caliber projectiles that measured from 0.305" to 0.313", many were almost oval shape rather than round and we're very inconsistent length. Had a 308 final swage die very close to shape these were supposed to be so tested a few and they came out of swage die beautifully. Bullets that if picked out the best could only shoot 1.5 MOA at best with half deemed unsafe to load were coming out of die looking and measuring like match projectiles and shooting sub MOA all day even after mashing the worst of them with the best just running them as came out of their bags. Now looking at trying more of the cheap pulls advertised as bent and inconsistent diameter bargain projectiles then finding a die to true them in. Wondering how much shape can be altered before jacket and core separation become an issue as well.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Boolit Master

Wow all the pulled down bullets I have bought have been usable , without the size problems you are finding , as to the earlier post about plastic tips , dont bother doing anything as the tip is negligible on accuracy , I bought some federal trophy bonded second no plastic tip as thats why they were sold as seconds does not affect a thing , great bullets , made for hunting lead core its just a small plastic tip for a point a lot of match bullets were hollow point , you can for the second poster run your bullets through a die to resize or you could have a swage die and redo them