RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 357 Mag Henry single shot rifle

Boolit Master

357 Mag Henry single shot rifle

Does anyone know if this rifle could be chambered to 357 Maximum?
    I am concerned as to whether the action would open far enough to load and extract the cartridge.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    I would guess that it can. I have seen the 45-70 version made to accept 45-90. I believe that part of the hinge was relieved to make a wider opening to accommodate the length. Not sure if pressure / strength changes can be safe however.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yes it has been done many times.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

Yes. This is a rifle built for full power rifle cartridges like the 308 Winchester. 357 Maximum is no problem. It opens plenty wide.

Boolit Master
    Mike Bellm has been offering this service since the day it was put up for sale. He's doing quite a few of them.

I have a Bellm chambered/throated Henry in 357 Max, very happy with it. If I had to do it over, I might shorten the throat a bit, I seat 180 grain cast and xtp's way out. I can load the RCBS 35-200's in max cases. My Henry likes .357 sized bullets, the Speer .358- 180 flat points caused higher pressures before I got to the velocities I was looking for. The discontinued Hornady 180 ssp's work fine. I really like my Henry in 357 Max, hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    There's a reason Bellm puts a long throat in the chamber.....some loads being used need the room for powder. I've been shooting this cartridge for several years in a couple of different rifles/barrels and the longer throat hasn't appeared to hurt accuracy at all. I have used several powders that needed the room in the case. Seating the bullet out in a single shot doesn't present any problems that I've found.

Boolit Master

Great news, folks; I somehow ended up with a hundred or so 357 Max cartridges and have been looking at them wondering what rifle I could come up with to use them in.
    Always liked this caliber.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    There's a reason Bellm puts a long throat in the chamber.....some loads being used need the room for powder. I've been shooting this cartridge for several years in a couple of different rifles/barrels and the longer throat hasn't appeared to hurt accuracy at all. I have used several powders that needed the room in the case. Seating the bullet out in a single shot doesn't present any problems that I've found.
    I understand Bellm wants to maximize powder space for jacketed performance. I will almost exclusively use cast, so the added capacity isn't necessary. Tom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I understand Bellm wants to maximize powder space for jacketed performance. I will almost exclusively use cast, so the added capacity isn't necessary. Tom
    It's not about jacketed vs cast, it's about what powder you're using and bullet length. Bellm's throats are also different than the factory in that it's not acting like a funnel to get the bullet in the lands. I've had Turnbull throat a couple of 45-70s for me with longer throats and it doesn't hurt being longer, the accuracy (superb to start with) doesn't change.