RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to BPCR

Boolit Mold

New to BPCR

New to bpcr and new to the forum. I just picked up this Pedersoli 1874 in 45-70. Has a Lyman front sight and the Pedersoli rear (I know, that'll be changed for a quality sight later). I need to slug the barrel to get an accurate measurement for bullet diameters before I go too far. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions when I get to the casting/loading part
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200120_055621.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	255125

Boolit Master
    There are a few people on here who shoot the Pedersoli rifles. I had one years ago, but I didn't know much about black powder shooting at that time . A friend has a Pedersoli Rolling Block that is quite accurate.

I do know that there was at least one bullet mold specifically designed for the Pedersoli chamber. That'd be something I'd look into.

I'm sure you'll have a pile of fun with it.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

A whole new world of "fun" just opened up for you.

I have the pedersloi long range model double set triggers 34" half round barrel. O have upgraded the sights on it to a Pederloli wind gage front with level and a pedersoli soule rear long range. Pedersolis barrels get very good reviews. My rifle has always shot very good with almost any bullet. My 3 favorites are a PP 525 frn from a brooks adjustable mould, The 535 grn Lyman postel, and a 550 grn silhouette by Bernie Rowels at old west moulds. The 520 grn lyman Govt round nose is good also. I cast from 20-1 alloy. Mine has a 1-18 twist barrel. The drawback is it is over weight for NRA sanctioned matches. They are very good rifles.

Work with it and see if you need more. The Soule sights are better with the better windage adjustment. Galf cocking the hammer before dropping the block is a good idea also. Youve fot a fine rifle there now its time to enjoy it.

There arnt many rounds in a 1lb can of black powder though

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A whole new world of "fun" just opened up for you.

I have the pedersloi long range model double set triggers 34" half round barrel. O have upgraded the sights on it to a Pederloli wind gage front with level and a pedersoli soule rear long range. Pedersolis barrels get very good reviews. My rifle has always shot very good with almost any bullet. My 3 favorites are a PP 525 frn from a brooks adjustable mould, The 535 grn Lyman postel, and a 550 grn silhouette by Bernie Rowels at old west moulds. The 520 grn lyman Govt round nose is good also. I cast from 20-1 alloy. Mine has a 1-18 twist barrel. The drawback is it is over weight for NRA sanctioned matches. They are very good rifles.

Work with it and see if you need more. The Soule sights are better with the better windage adjustment. Galf cocking the hammer before dropping the block is a good idea also. Youve fot a fine rifle there now its time to enjoy it.

There arnt many rounds in a 1lb can of black powder though
    I've read very good things about that 535 postel. Hoping it slugs out at 457/458 as I'd like to use that and the largest diameter of that mold I can find is 459. I've read the pedersoli's like the larger 459/460 bullets. If you dont mind me asking, what diameter have you found yours prefers? The cartridge per powder ratio isn't what's shocking to me, it's the bullet per pound ratio lol

Boolit Master
    Thor0812, you will eventually run into the Buffalo Arms web site. Once you have an idea of what sort of mold type and dimensions you want, have a look there. Buffalo Arms molds are top notch and are used by many competition winning black powder cartridge shooters. They have a lot more options than you'll find in off the shelf Lyman molds, although they are pricier.

Chris.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    .......I do know that there was at least one bullet mold specifically designed for the Pedersoli chamber. That'd be something I'd look into. Chris.
    I believe the mold you are referring to is the Gunn-Trenk designed mold, especially for the Pedersoli chambers. The boolits weighed about 525 grains. I was lucky enough to borrow that mold for a short time and cast up about 200+ boolits. The measurements may be archived here (I believe the loan was offered through this forum, before Dick Trenk passed away) so a copy could be made by a custom maker. That is probably your only hope of getting that mold as I don't think too many of them were made, and the mold maker (Victory?) is no longer in business. Maybe do a search? Hope this helps.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy
    The rifle in the picture looks like an iab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ian45662 View Post

Got barely used IAB a few years ago. Shoots fantastic. None of the issues folks have posted. Bore is huge at 461+. Been using an undersized 459 Lee bullet and still shoots and cleans fine.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot as cast and pan lube normally. Most of my moulds for 45 cal drop around .459. I'm not above lapping a mould out a thousandth or 2 to get what I want need either. My lyman 535 postel mould has been converted to nose pour in the HG style. I got bored at work, LOL. 20-1 will also allow the bullet to swell to fit. If the lyman size isn't to your liking smaller can always be opened up or several custom makers have this bullet style in their line. Im more concerned with a new mould being round as this is harder to fix.

As I said I normally shoot as cast and pan lube the bullets using a cake cutter to remove them. My cake cutters are .465 dia.
    If your new to loading Black Powder pick up the SPG loading manual and Randolph S. Wrights Book Loading and shooting the Paper Patched Bullet A Beginners Guide. The latter is more for the PP bullet but a lot of the techniques and info works for grease grooved bullets also. While loading black powder isnt harder than smokeless there are some differences in procedure and the way its done.

Boolit Mold

ian45662 you've got a HELL of an eye. I pulled the forearm and there it was, IAB. Just contacted the seller as it was MORE than sold as a Pedersoli. Thank you for bringing my attention to it

Boolit Mold
    Newb mistake. Hard to tell for a newcomer without disassembling the rifles...

Boolit Buddy
    I could tell by the shape of the hammer and the lock plate

Boolit Master
    I could tell by the shape of the hammer and the lock plate

The forearm is pretty much a give away also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor0812 View Post
    ian45662 you've got a HELL of an eye. I pulled the forearm and there it was, IAB. Just contacted the seller as it was MORE than sold as a Pedersoli. Thank you for bringing my attention to it
    I have had an IAB for ages - none of the problems people talk about - the feller that it came from originally told me recent that of 8 sharps repros he had over years that IAB was the most accurate - the guy is a gun nut and a top shot (got his name on many trophies in this country) -- mine has a very neat chamber, and 458 barrel, and the best single trigger break I have seen. Yours might be worth a couple hundred less (or more) than a Pedersoli - I wouldnt feel too bad about it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I have had an IAB for ages - none of the problems people talk about - the feller that it came from originally told me recent that of 8 sharps repros he had over years that IAB was the most accurate - the guy is a gun nut and a top shot (got his name on many trophies in this country) -- mine has a very neat chamber, and 458 barrel, and the best single trigger break I have seen. Yours might be worth a couple hundred less (or more) than a Pedersoli - I wouldnt feel too bad about it.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I've talked to the previous owner and he agreed to take it back since he sold it as on thing and it's another. Have a couple others I'm looking at (more closely this time) so hopefully I'll have something I want pretty soon..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor0812 View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance. I've talked to the previous owner and he agreed to take it back since he sold it as on thing and it's another. Have a couple others I'm looking at (more closely this time) so hopefully I'll have something I want pretty soon..
    Glad he will take it back. As I stated, I got one (although super cheap on gunbroker as no one bid) years ago. I learned later it was an IAB. I agree that trigger is super amazing. I have only used for BP rounds and cleaning has been fantastic. I don’t plan to run smokeless so wear won’t be too bad. I have the money for a nicer gun but since I only take it out every 2 months it just isn’t worth it.

My point is that maybe you need to figure out if it’s worth talking seller down a bit and keeping it if it works for your situation. In my case, I wouldn’t part with it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    Glad he will take it back. As I stated, I got one (although super cheap on gunbroker as no one bid) years ago. I learned later it was an IAB. I agree that trigger is super amazing. I have only used for BP rounds and cleaning has been fantastic. I don’t plan to run smokeless so wear won’t be too bad. I have the money for a nicer gun but since I only take it out every 2 months it just isn’t worth it.

My point is that maybe you need to figure out if it’s worth talking seller down a bit and keeping it if it works for your situation. In my case, I wouldn’t part with it.
    If I were getting one just for the novelty of having it (I think we've all imagined ourselves as Mathew Quigley a time or two) I probably would just keep it. I'm wanting to start shooting silhouettes so plan on putting quite a bit of lead down range. Can't afford a Shiloh or C Sharps so I'm trying to get as much quality for the money as I can

Boolit Buddy
    Thor what kind of rifles are you looking at?

Boolit Mold
    Thor what kind of rifles are you looking at?

Pedersoli's mainly. Theres 1 CSharps on gunbroker I've got my eye on but may be a touch out of my price range.
    Also have looked at 1 Browning BPCR that was really nice but I like the thought of the set triggers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast