Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you improve wild hog by hanging it for a few days?

Boolit Master
    guy up the road from my brother ages his wild hogs this way , hang from front legs, 2 days at 38 degrees with manila rope, hang 3days from rear hocks 38 degrees same rope at day 5 cut hog down and disgard remove rope and cut to bite size pieces for cooking.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Wow! Modern industrial farming/processing is making it cheaper and easier than ever to commit death by bacon! Even doing my own butchering, I can't raise a pig for that!
    You may not be able to raise a pig as cheap as you can buy the meat, but you know for sure what went into the pig. I raise one every year or two. Plenty of wild hogs and crosses to be hunted here, so we eat a lot of wild pig and I think they have a better diet than ones low cost producers. Free of drugs etc too.

There was a case a few years back, when pigs were being fed the uneaten meals from the local hospital. The pigs started acting strange and were investigated. Turns out that a lot of people in hospitals don’t like taking their medicine and hide them in un eaten food. They found all sorts of drugs in the pigs. Now it’s not allowed to to feed anything that comes from a hospital to any livestock.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I ask this question seriously. I usually let pig meat sit in a cool spot for a day or two, so the meat tightens up and is easier cut. Not to age it. Could I improve it if I left it hanging longer?
    I will answer seriously. No it won't. If you are talking feral hogs, it will allow continued growth of a worm that most feral hogs get. Unlike domesticated that are treated for these worms.

I field dress mine and take my share to a butcher shop in New Braunsfels Texas asap. The other half goes to an orphanage.

ACC

Moderator Emeritus

Feral hogs have Trichinosis so need to be cooked to 145+ to be safe to eat.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Gut em & cut em up. Then soak em in ice water 2 days, draining a few times ; )
    H/D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12