RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powdercoaters please read this !!!

Boolit Master
    The real danger when casting is from the oxides that get skimmed off when fluxing/cleaning the metal. The vapor pressure of Pb at normal casting temperatures is very low. A fan would certainly be helpful to minimize breathing the oxides , but good hand washing afterwards is also a good idea and doesn’t take any sort of extra equipment.

On a related note I bought some of the D-lead soap. I can’t swear it’s any better than regular soap in terms of removing lead, but I’ve never seen a better soap for removing that black grime you get when cleaning guns or working on motors. It even removes ink. To me it would be worth buying even if you never handle lead at all.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Actually, the real danger is to children, the younger the greater the susceptibility and risk of Permanent Damage. Everything around your casting area is highly contaminated with lead. This fine lead dust can be easily transported into otherwise clean areas by clothing, shoes, hands etc.

Yet another reason to use hitek. It’s liquid going on. I really don’t know why people muck around with PC when that stuff exists.

Boolit Master

Well for one why muck around with hitek and hitek also comes in a powder now that you mix before applying , if powder coat does what is needed , I get a tough finish no smoke and can add size to some molds as cast , hitek works for some and powder coat works for some why bash either ? I read the hitek thread its interesting and it like powder coat and lubes is another way or one way amongst many to do what each needs or wants for the result one is searching for , I would probably try hitek , but it does have only a limited amount of distributors at this time , and some have problems with it just like powder coating , dust is not a concern of mine as I have read several sites safety data sheets and seems to be pretty safe if you are not tossing dust in air and or playing in it , probably same as hitek if you drink wash or eat it , primer dust is more likely a threat .

So if you dont like it or it worries you do not do it , do not use it and go use whatever makes you happy and I will go powder coat after I cast with my newest mold

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Yet another reason to use hitek. It’s liquid going on. I really don’t know why people muck around with PC when that stuff exists.
    Drew, why don't you study up on Powder Coating before you knock it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I have been testing Hi Tek for about a year now. It seems to be more work than PC because of the need for multiple coats. I have some Eastwood powder and I will eventually give it a try. If it works and is actually faster then I will probably stick with powder except for rifle bullets that have fat noses.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Okay fellas, we already got one strike against us from the mods. Let's stay on topic , wearing a dust mask. Don't turn into a hi-tek versus powder coat battle!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

And the dust mask most wear is about worthless , and then in my searching I find its a non issue with how we are doing it , so on topic the strike was that when you asked to delete thread ? Again if it makes you feel better wear all the PPE you want , I wear what I feel is appropriate for me and each should do the same , its your health treat it as you want , seems like most subjects here there are different sides and thoughts . And to the new to casting and coating as well as cleaning and prepping brass , Common sense and do your research , as in load data trust what you trust but if you take ones data and do not compare or question or research you may have a trip to the E.R. and or loss of a costly firearm .

Boolit Bub
    I agree ..... respiratory protection is required! When I first started powder coating a couple of months ago first thing I did before opening my powder was go to the sellers website and I did read the MSDS on each color I bought. Some colors have different toxicity levels than others but every MSDS I read recommended respiratory and skin protection too. Something about chronic exposure causing nerve damage.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Good thing about having mask for PC you can now go grocery shopping as well there is a plus side to colored bullets lol. BTW I can walking into a store with a pistol on my side and a face mask and no one panics oh and gloves so do not have to worry about finger prints.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Banned

do you wear a lead approved respirator when you shoot?? Do you wear gloves when your reloading with lead bullets?? a respirator and gloves when you are spinning your media separator and handling the brass coming out of it. Truth be told its probably less healthy to be 20 lbs overweight that anything we do reloading. Whats your waist line look like?? Keep complaining and being paranoid and youll see pc go the same way lead has gone of late. Pretty soon youll have to have a license to handle or buy it. Just wait till the liberals open there eyes to the fact that we use it to make bullets and its dangerous to breath!!!
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 04-23-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123