Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powdercoaters please read this !!!

Boolit Master
    I'm trying really hard to find the benefit to breathing chemical dust.

I'm not having much luck.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

A pot of lead at 750* produces almost no lead "fumes" lead is liquid at that temp, not a gas. Not to say WW's or lead sheathed cable won't have some nasty fumes from plastic or other elements. Roof flashing can have tar, again something I don't want to incinerate and breathe the fumes.
    I would just like to clarify this statement so all don't get the wrong idea.

Yes, lead does not boil and evaporate at 750 degrees and other contaminants in the pot can put out gases that could be equally harmful . However, lead does not have to boil to be breathed in and do its damage. Molecules of lead can attach to these other contaminants that are being cooked off. And what about the fluxing many use wax and wood, so the the molecules of lead have a very easy time of hitching a ride straight into the lungs of the unprotected. Also left to their own demise these fumes are depositing lead on every object they are allowed to touch.

Banned
    If your really concerned cast/PC in one of these

Just add a vent fan to the outdoors.

With any hobby, certain precautions are needed.

PS If you like tide pods, check your attic for cotton candy LOL

Reducing risks associated with using coating powders - employers
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/surfaceengine...-employers.htm
    Last edited by Conditor22; 01-26-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thank you slide for bringing up the subject.

I had not thought about it.

Honestly I have not PC’ed enough to amount to a hill of beans yet, but just enough to notice that the UK safety link posted earlier refers to spray operations. Shake and bake necessitates using a lid.

While there is undoubtedly some dust when you pop the lid but no where near what a spray set up would generate. On the other hand I do not think my toxic masculinity will be harmed if I wear a decent dust mask while handling pre-bake PC!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    One of the benefits of spraying is the electrical field being generated that attracts the powder to the metal, reducing overspray. Most start out as I did, spraying outside and standing upwind of any spray. To allow me to spray year round I constructed a spray booth with a vacuum water filter, which reduces any escaping powder to almost nothing, even so I still wear a mask and hearing protection.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    If your really concerned cast/PC in one of these

Just add a vent fan to the outdoors.

With any hobby, certain precautions are needed.

PS If you like tide pods, check your attic for cotton candy LOL

Reducing risks associated with using coating powders - employers
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/surfaceengine...-employers.htm
    It looks like a good idea and you might even use it for other things, like a sand blasting cabinet, but it comes from Harbor Freight and leaked like a sieve.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    One of the benefits of spraying is the electrical field being generated that attracts the powder to the metal, reducing overspray. Most start out as I did, spraying outside and standing upwind of any spray. To allow me to spray year round I constructed a spray booth with a vacuum water filter, which reduces any escaping powder to almost nothing, even so I still wear a mask and hearing protection.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on dust exposure.

I am just a tub and lid operator so no spray. Very little PC at that. I think I have done a whopping 200 slugs with borrowed Smoke’s powder and tub and plastic BB’s from a local forum member.

It worked very well for a totally novice run especially considering that I think the tubs had a bit too much powder amongst the BB’s and my boolits were over powdered in my opinion.

I wore latex gloves and was tapping the slugs and rolling them in my fingers to lighten the powder coating. In all that fooling around I did not notice airborne dust but I was not looking for it either.

Best regards

Three44s

About four years or so ago sister in law made a comment about powder coating, that she was convinced that it had a role in killing her husband.

Boolit Master
    I'm totally surprised nobody has mentioned the EMFs that come off a spray gun. Could cause cancer, bad breath, tunnel vision, ect... I'm not even going to begin to describe some of the things I've been exposed to. Limiting and controlling exposure to certain things to safe levels makes sense rather than having a zero limit. That last little bit can be a bit impractical to remove. I cast, coat, make lube, you name it. The average guy doing this for a hobby can't be exposed much. If you do it in a phone booth for 12 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week then it will take a toll. Want to limit even trace chemicals out of your life? You'll find yourself living in an oxygen bubble.

Now to freak out some of you. You know there's trace amounts of cyanide in apple seeds?

Ebner

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to hear what smoke4320 has to say about this, since he bags and sells the best PC that I have found. He also uses it himself to powder coat various projectiles. What say you Smoke4320?

Boolit Master
    Those that feel PC offers no dust worth protecting against are perfectly with in their rights to handle the material as they see fit.

Those that chose to wear a mask while handling their PC powder are also with in their rights to do so.

This forum is thought to be a tool for gun enthusiasts to exchange ideas freely with the goal of bettering our collective hobby. To agree or disagree with the premise that one ought to consider wearing a dust mask while handling PC powder before it is baked is a healthy discourse.

I for one am very glad the OP brought up this topic. As a rancher and farmer with allergies and a history of having bronchitis and whose mother passed away suffering from COPD and Emphasema, I take lung care seriously.

I may take this powder issue seriously enough to mask up or not but having a meaningful discourse to me , furthers our sport.

Best regards

Three44s

Vendor Sponsor

I weigh many many lbs of pc powder Every Tues- Sat. Done so for early 5 years now. Never wear any mask
    If it kills me its my fault.. So far not detected any issues. Thats me , not a recommendation to others.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

As staff reviewed the thread, it was judged the thread has helpful information that can be useful to people that are learning about powder coatings or have questions about PC hazards.

Instead of deleting, it a clean up was done, lets keep it civil and avoid any problems. This is the warning.
    Last edited by RP; 02-07-2020 at 12:36 AM.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Thank you sir!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I am curious. I have used the paper masks, and kind settled on the P-95. This is a little stronger mask with a breathing valve. I was wondering if it would be cheaper with a resprirator with filters? Any ideas?

Boolit Master
    Before retirement my job required me to go into hazardous environments and I needed not only to protect myself, but in many cases upwards of 500 workers.

I think for an occasional limited exposure use of masks ore OK, but as far as protection a respirator is the only way to go. I use a half mask for things like powder spraying, but when I salvage range lead and smelt it down I go to my North Full Face respirator with HEPA/vapor cartridges as contaminants can enter through the eyes also.

As far as expense I guess that would depend on how many P-95 masks you use. Don't hold me to prices, but I think P-95's go for about $2 each. For comparison a North silicone half mask is about $30 without filters. Due to the efficiency any filter you put on it will outperform a paper or cloth mask. I believe the purple HEPA filters are about $10 add gas protection and it doubles the filter price. If I remember correctly there are 20 p-95's to a box so you could get a half face respirator for the price of a box of masks. I would say unless you are in a very contaminated conditions the filters would last as long as the masks. I guess the big difference is if you are willing to lay out the money at once or buy a mask one at a time.

As a knifemaker using coal fired forge, etc, etc, we are warned to use protection against "any" particulent floating in the air from filing,grinding or whatever. Bone dust for one enters the lungs and sticks becoming permanent. This type is called accumalative, causing less and less lung function. Coal miners dealt with black lung and so did old blacksmiths and with some it was fatal. Thank you for this post Mr. Slide.

Boolit Master
    OldBearHair, you are welcome Sir!

Boolit Master

I started wearing one right off.

I suffer from an allergies to house dust & tree pollen. Started wearing one doing yard work when we bought our first house.

Wear one when casting too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I usually don't wear a mask when casting as I have a 48" fan set at the garage door and just behind my casting table so there is a high volume air flow to the exterior. The downside to a respirator is they are hot, especially in the Texas summer heat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast