Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle

Banned
    According to the U.S. military they consider the .308 round capable of 1000 yrds. My FAL is supposed to able to do 800 yards with the factory open sights. So is the .308 a slouch? I don't see that its that far behind the 6.5 but then I don't own a 6.5

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    $400 will get you a 28 inch drop in ready barrel if that's what you want
    After buying a new rifle that is supposed to be "Precision " spending another $400 on it for a proper barrel seems rather rediculous if not stupid to me......no offense to you meant......the stupidity is Rugers
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    According to the U.S. military they consider the .308 round capable of 1000 yrds. My FAL is supposed to able to do 800 yards with the factory open sights. So is the .308 a slouch? I don't see that its that far behind the 6.5 but then I don't own a 6.5
    Yes the 308W/7.62 NATO cartridge has proven itself very capable to 1000 yards. many matches have been shot at that range with M14/M1As and bolt action match rifles. The M24 and M40 have proven 1200+ yard capable. The Palma matches that restarted in the '60s were shot military rifles and M80 ball. Then special bolt action rifles with long barrels having slow twist further increased the accuracy capability of the M80 Ball ammunition. I have shot numerous NM matches, Palma matches and have shot M21s, M24s and a couple M40s on Army sniper ranges to 1100m using M118, M118SB and M118LR with excellent accuracy. I have also shot out three 6.5 barrels [a 6.5-280 and two 6.5-308s] shooting long range to 1000 yards. They did not show me anything over the 308W except shorter barrel life.

I still do a lot of shooting at 600, 100 and 1200 yards [was just out shooting 1000 yards last week] and have no problems with shooting that distance shooting the 308W cartridge out of 3 different bolt guns with barrels of 22, 26 and 27 1/2". I've an original Savage M10 Competition having a 29" Palma contour 308W barrel on it with a 13" twist. I also am having a Broughton 12" twist Palma contour barrel put on a M70 action that will be 31" long and having a 12" twist. It will be chambered in the 30-06 XCB. I am expecting to push it to 1500 yards if not 1 mile.

As I said if Ruger had put a decent length [I'd prefer at least a 26" with 12" twist] 308W barrel on their "Precision" rifle I would have one...... They've only seen fit to put a 20" barrel on it so I don't have one...…..
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I am like Larry, put a longer tube on it (26") and I would have one. 20" barrel--ho hum, they can keep it.

Boolit Master

I bought my RPR as a 308. Very accurate.

Got itchy to go to the dark side and bought a 6.5 CM Proof Research stainless barrel for it. Very accurate.

Fat but has a nice personality.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    Sure, a longer barrel would be nice. I would make the assumption that Ruger is trying to play for the average individual that doesn't know that a longer barrel is more desirable if your going for range. I would assume again that Ruger is marketing the rifle to those shooting in the 100-200 yd range and not those wanting to go out to 500 or 1000 yds. Hell, I don't think there is a 1000yd range where I live. It would be fun except for the walk.

Boolit Grand Master

6bg6ga

That assumption would make a certain amount of sence were it not for the fact Ruger puts a 26" barrel on the rifle in 6.5 CM. So why that length if "Ruger is marketing the rifle to those shooting in the 100-200 yd range and not those wanting to go out to 500 or 1000 yds"? I think, besides the LE market, the industry is simply touting the 6.5 CM as the best thing since peanut butter. They constantly refer to how it "out performs the .308W"......and it does if the 6.5 CM has a 26 or 28" barrel (many factory ballistics are with the 28" barrel) and the .308W has a 20" barrel.....

Put the same length barrel on the .308W and use 175 - 178 bullets and the 308W gives up nothing to the 6.5 CM.

I live in Arizona and see you live in Casa Grande…..not that far north of you is the Ben Avery range complex with a very nice 1000 yard range if you want an actual "range" to shoot on. Also Arizona has lots of BLM and finding a 1000 yards to shoot isn't that hard to find. I do understand the gist of what you're saying though, many do not have places such as we do. Many only have 50 or 100 yard ranges at best to shoot on. If you get over this way give me a shout and we can do some LR shooting or just some shooting. The range here at Sara Park is 300 yards. Or we can go just out side of town and shoot as far away as you want?
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Recoil is the most noticeable difference for me between 308 and 6.5 CM. Accuracy out to 600 yds is the same.

Plus it is a fashionable round that everyone likes to hate on.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

I got one. 6mm CM. 24" barrel, literal tack driver. I have only had it out to 1000 yards a few times, but the last time I was shooting sub-moa at that distance. I am not a competitive shooter or a professional one of any kind. The gun design just makes it easy to shoot good. I plan on trying some cast boolits in it some time, but all I have is the RCBS mold. The gun/caliber screams for a heavier boolit though. If someone has a heavy .243"/6mm mold I would love to work out a deal.

One thing about the gun itself, the design, is that I feel it puts you into a good "shooting" position. Again, I am not a professional shooter or even one that has shot even half as much as some of you on here, but what I have learned over the years is that the key to accuracy when actually shooting(after load development) is recoil management. I have had people, who have never sat behind one, ask me how I like it. All I can describe it as is the difference between driving a little compact car to your construction job for years, and then all of a sudden getting to drive a 3/4 ton pickup. The gun is solid. It makes recoil management a piece of cake.

The whole thing with the 20" 308 barrel, I believe, is that you have to understand why the particular gun platform was made, to begin with. It was made for the PRS crowd. The design is meant to take an AR-style firearm and convert it over to a bolt action. That way, you get the superb handling/shooting form of the AR with the superb loading/accuracy of a bolt action. When considering the 308 in particular, the average barrel length people use for 308 AR is around the 20" mark.

If a guy has not ever got behind one of these guns, you really ought to try it sometime. It is just hard to describe the feeling. I had a chance to shoot one in 338 Lapua. After a few shots, I was busting milk jugs at 750 yards. Hard to believe, but it was easier to control than a regular ole 30.06 hunting rifle.

Until Ruger started pumping out the guns, the only ones to be had were the custom ones and they had a hefty price tag. After Ruger started putting them out, other makers followed suit. I can honestly say, I have been behind one of the other non-custom ones, and the Ruger's design outdoes theirs. Yes, I am a Ruger fan, but there is a difference in how they feel.

What ultimately sold me on it was the ability to change out barrels so easily though. I am not sure what I will put on it after I burn this barrel out, but anything in the 308 class will fit on it.

I also plan on getting one more chambered for the 300 PRC. Those little 6mm projectiles just kind of tickle the target at 1000 yards. lol

Boolit Master
    The girl may be ugly but she is a damn good kisser. I have an RPR in 6mm Creedmoor and it puts 5 in the same hole at 100 with my loads. Haven't really find a load that shoots worse than MOA.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    The girl may be ugly but she is a damn good kisser. I have an RPR in 6mm Creedmoor and it puts 5 in the same hole at 100 with my loads. Haven't really find a load that shoots worse than MOA.
    Tried cast in her yet?

My best load is the Hornady 105gr with Superformance. Your right though, nothing I tried when working up a load was over MOA.
    "Education is not the learning of facts, it is the training of the mind to think" - Albert Einstein

Think about it...

Boolit Bub
    Deep Blueing and Finely Figured Walnut look great. Yes I like them and prize our fine rifles as well.

However, I own an RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor as well. They both shoot great with the exact same load.

I have learned to think, beauty is as beauty does. If it works and the RPR and the Kimber both do, I’m happy and don’t worry. Fun is what this is supposed to be about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12