RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle

Banned

Ruger Precision Rifle

Even though I do most of my shooting on my own place now, once in a while I go RSO at the range I'm a member of just to stay connected. A guy I know who is a pretty knowledgeable shooter shows up with one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor (not sure what Ruger chambers these in, but I'm guessing .308 Win is an option). First time out with the rifle using Hornady factory ammo and putting them all through the same hole pretty much.

Another guy I used to converse with before handloads.com went away had gotten one and had the same experience. A while back, I decided to get a dedicated bench rifle for playing with cast bullet loads, I wanted a .30 caliber. Now I have a Winchester heavy varmint in .308 which I have yet to get shooting as well as it should, and a heavy Mauser in .30-06 which is beginning to shine but still a ways off. I have to admit the Ruger is ugly as a bowling shoe, but I'm beginning to wonder if one of those might have been the way for me to go?

Anybody shot cast in one of these?

Boolit Grand Master
    Unrelated, but in the vain of speaking to the quality of the Ruger Prec. Rifle, my buddy in Wyoming dropped an elk at 485 yards - one shot / factory ammo - with his chambered in .308. I'm a walnut & steel guy, but have to acknowledge their stunning performances.

Boolit Master
    Don't see why cast would be a problem. I shoot cast out of my Savage 12 varmint rifle in .308.

If you want to shoot cast bullets faster then the rifling twist should be on the slow side. My 1-10 barrel maxes out in the 2000fps range. Powder coated I can push a bit faster, 2400fps.

Banned

I'm just not sure I can bring myself to have something that looks like that, but it sure might be interesting to work with. Did a look see on Ruger's site and other than .308, not much to interest a caster, though I do have molds for 6.5.

Kind of a lot of money for a rifle to me, though. Maybe someday. I have to admit to being a walnut and blued steel guy myself.

I grew up with walnut and steel and, in my humble opinion, nothing looks better. That said, beauty can also be found in tight groups on the target and meat in the freezer.
    I own both wood stocked and plastic/fiberglass stocked rifles. In most cases, the plastic stocked rifles shoot more accurately.
    The fact that they also are(usually) lighter and felt recoil is less is also a plus.
    Sub-MOA groups have a beauty all their own.

While I was still shooting archery tournaments, I ran across a woman who had a color matched bow and arrows. I asked her how it shot.
    Her reply was,"It doesn't really matter how well it shoots. It just has to look good."
    She finished poorly.

Boolit Master
    I have the rpr in 308 and it is ugly and heavy but it is a tack driver right out of the box,i have my trigger set at 2 pounds and is very crisp,ive shot it with Remington corlok and Hornady whitetail

As ugly as the rifle is, I don't think vanity is an issue. But in the vein of the conversation, I agree that the Ruger should be an excellent choice for testing handloads and bullets.

I bought one in 6.5 Creedmoor to play with my new stepson in 1000 yard steel shoots. First five rounds went into less than an inch at 100, and I hit 4 of 5 plates at 1000. I am a fan.
    Tony

Boolit Master

Ugly can be beautiful.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    If you want a wood stock tack driver then look at the Savage model 12 series. Target or varmint versions. Laminated wood stocks on a lot of them.

My .308 is near MOA with cast, right at 1/2 MOA with jacketed. I am working on the cast to get MOA out to longer ranges.

Banned
    The .308 Winchester is in their standard lineup. My wife has one and she lets me load for it and once in a while if I'm good shoot it. We debated the 6.5 and opted to stay with the .308 simply because I have a Israeli Heavy Barrel FAL and didn't want to start loading for yet another caliber. We like the looks of it. Very comfortable to shoot once adjusted. No problem getting sub 1" groups at 100 yards.

Banned

don't know what twist rate they use but my guess is its on the fast side because most shoot heavier bullets out of them.

Boolit Bub
    my son has one in 308. it is a great shooter. the muzzle brake is pretty effective and there is little recoil. if i am sitting next to him the brake is obnixious. it will darn near blow a ball cap off your head.

it isn't very picky about ammo. cheap pulled 147 fmg will shoot well out of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    don't know what twist rate they use but my guess is its on the fast side because most shoot heavier bullets out of them.
    Something I hadn't considered, but likely very true. Probably has short throats as well. May not be good with cast if that's the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger says it is a 1 in 10 twist.

https://www.ruger.com/products/preci...ets/18028.html
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Grand Master

A 20" barrel...….? Why they didn't, in 308W, put a 28 - 30" Palma contour barrel on it with a 13" twist is on it is beyond me. Or at least a 26" barrel with a 12" twist...….. After all isn't it supposed to be a "Precision Rifle", especially when they, at least, put a decent length barrel on the 6.5 model? Guess the 20" barrel is supposed to be for LE agencies? Given equal barrel lengths the 308W gives up nothing to the 6.5.....

For me the 20" barreled 308W sucks so I won't be getting one...…...got no need for the 6.5 either as I have 3 real "precision" .308W rifles now which shoot as well to 1000 yards as does the 6.5.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    That’s the story I heard. Supposedly to appeal to LEO’s. Sure keeps it from being a serious 1000 yd rifle.

Boolit Master
    $400 will get you a 28 inch drop in ready barrel if that's what you want

I have a ruger precision in 308. Shoot only cast in it. Does really well with it. I just wish I had more time to go to the range and get it dialed in really good.

I've got two RPRs, a Gen I .308 and a Gen II in 6.5 Creedmoor, both are tack drivers with factory or hand loads ... never shot cast out of either rifle though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast