RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Advice on shipping molds please?

Boolit Master

Advice on shipping molds please?

I want to list some molds that I haven't used for years in the "Swappin and Sellin" area, but before I do, I need to know how I should ship them, since the price I ask needs to take my shipping cost into consideration.

What do you all recommend? Will a 4 cavity Lyman mold fit in a small flat rate shipping box? Or is there a better way?

Boolit Bub
    If they have handles, they may be a bit too big/long to fit in a small flat rate. You can send them by weight in a box that fits them, though. Sometimes that's the cheaper route, just depending on how big what you're shipping is.

If you have a scale, even if it's a kitchen scale, you can estimate your cost on the USPS site.

There is a flat rate padded envelope that will fit most moulds with handles. I suggest checking the actual shipping before just blindly going flat rate because it's often times a few dollars less.

Boolit Master

Oh I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. It would be just the blocks, no handles. I know the Lyman 2 cavity would fit fine, not sure about the 4 cavity. I want enough room to pad securely.

I don't know if I would trust an envelope, even a padded one.

Boolit Master
    I would get a couple of the small boxes and try them out (they are free). FWIW, they don't have to be flat when ready to ship, ie, it can look like a little balloon when done. Make up the box. Cover it with clear packing tape. Stuff the padded blocks in there.

The USPS isn't kidding when they say 'if it fits, it ships'.

And, yes, their padded envelopes are tough. Rotometals shipped 35lb of lead in one of them. Again, shove the items in there and use clear packing tape all around the outside, tightly. It does not have to look like an envelope when done.

May I also suggest that you use a strong rubber band around the mold halves to keep them from banging each other while shipping. Or if you have room, wrap the mold halves separately.